HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Apex Digest in trouble Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Apex Digest in trouble « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mary Robinette Kowal
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 09:37 am:   

By now some of you may have heard about the trouble that Apex Digest's editor, Jason Sizemore, is having. You can read the full story here and order a subscription here.

But there's another way you can support Apex Digest. There’s old-fashioned raffle with amazing prizes at http://saveapex.maryrobinettekowal.com. You can buy a ticket to put your name in the hat to win autographed copies of books, art, video and other strange goodies. Tickets are a dollar each. That's nothing, right? You can afford that.

On Friday, September 29th, we'll draw names and hand out the prizes.

You might win an autographed book by M.M. Buckner, Geoffrey Girard, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kevin J. Anderson, Brian Keene, David Louis Edelman, and more. Or how about an original piece of art? Maybe you’d like to have your story professionally edited? Stop by and see which things you covet.

Mary Robinette Kowal
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 08:24 am:   

At this point, I have to say that even if you don't have an interest in Apex, if you like Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror you should swing by the raffle. Each ticket costs a dollar, which means that for a dollar you could win something really cool.

I started the raffle with fifteen items. By the end of the day yesterday the donations had risen to over forty items. I just added ten new items today to the raffle. If you've been by the raffle site once already, you should swing back by to look at the new stuff. It's amazing.

-Have your fiction edited by Nancy Fulda, associate editor at Baen's Univers.
-Have a story edited by Eugie Foster
-A signed copy of Eugie Foster’s chapbook, Inspirations End/Still My Beating Heart.
-1 signed CD of Xyanide O.S.T by Alex Otterlei
-A copy of Troy by Simon Brown, published by Ticonderoga Publications.
-A signed copy of Slaine by Steve Savile due out December 12.
-A signed copy of Headstone City by Tom Piccirilli.
-A necklace from Multifarious Reverie’s line of hand-cast pewter jewelry, with the recipient’s choice of stone
-Postmortem Productions has donated 1 custom screen-printed (M, L, or XL) black T-shirt with any quote or saying saying, chosen by the winner.
-A signed copy of Dusk Before the Dawn by Larry Ketchersid.

Come by! See the rest of this astonishing raffle.

Mary Robinette Kowal
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 02:57 am:   

Apex Lives! I thought I'd share this post from Jason Sizemore.

---

The readers, the fans.

You.

You have answered.

APEX LIVES!!!

With an extraordinary push in sales and raffle tickets in the past 24 hours, our running tally turned into a windfall.

After seven days, this is where we stand.

Apex Sales: $4600
Raffle: $1800
Donations: $600
Subscriptions: 175

$7000 in seven days.

$5000 goes to the printer. Issue seven will be sent to press tomorrow morning. If all goes well, it should be ready in 7-10 business days to ship!

The extra $2000?

Effective with issue nine, fiction pay will be increased to 2 cents per word. If the raffle continues to do gang-busters, I might be able to increase the pay to 3 cents a word and join the elite paying publications. Remember, the raffle continues until Friday night!

The extra revenue will allow me to do something I've wanted/needed to do from day one: pay my editors. Gill, Mari, E.D., and Diane are the unsung heroes of the publication.

Effective with issue nine, artists' pay will go up to $20 for full page interior pieces. $100 for cover art.

Effective tonight, I submit myself to indentured servitude to Mary Robinette Kowal. She convinced me not to close shop and surprised me with a raffle that received over 70 donations.

Most importantly, having the printer monkey off my back assures that Apex will continue. Stronger than ever. Better than ever.

This I promise.

Brandon Layng
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 02:42 pm:   

This is an amazing publication, I've been working on getting a paypal account so I can order a subscription but otherwise I'm at the bookstore waiting at the shelves for each new issue. Best of luck.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators