HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Charles L. Grant RIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Charles L. Grant RIP « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 09:48 am:   

I received this email from Douglas E. Winter this morning:

Charlie Grant died last night at home of a heart attack. It happened very quickly, around 11pm. He had been watching a baseball game on television with Kathy and his son, Jack. Kathy and Jack went to the kitchen for some food, and when they returned a few minutes later, he was gone.

Ten days ago, Charlie had been able, at long last, to return home. That had been his hope -- to die at home, and not in the hospital. Particularly after all he had been through, the end was merciful, and what he wanted.

Tom and Elizabeth McDonald are helping Kathy with arrangements for the funeral, and a possible memorial service I'm preparing an official statement/ obituary, which I'll send along -- with any additional information -- as soon as it's known.

Doug

Chris Dodson
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 09:56 am:   

Oh no. What a terrible shock, coming so soon after he finally left the hospital. My condolences to those who knew him and to those who, like me, didn't know him but whose lives were touched by his work.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 10:45 am:   

Thanks for passing along the bad news, Ellen. I take some comfort in learning that he passed away at home, especially after all he'd been through.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:11 am:   

Yes.

I've spoken to Kathy and she asked me to give her links to all the sites that have been talking about Charlie.
If you find any tributes around the web, please let me know and I'll pass the links on to her.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   

I'm awaiting directions to both places and will post the information when I hear back from the family friend:
The visitations will be on wednesday, 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. at the Iliff-Ruggiero Funeral Home in Newton NJ.

The funeral will be held 11 a.m. on Thursday at Christ Episcopal Church in Newton.

Also, although there are some more HWA donations going to Kathy for Charlie's medical and funeral bills, she will be way short and so if you'd like to donate money--any amount--you can do so directly to her paypal account:
katptacek@yahoo.com

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   

The Rest is Silence.

MarcL
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   

Charlie was one of my first editors and first encouragers, which meant even more than it might have because he was also one of my first inspirations when I was looking around to see what people were doing right then and there. "The Rest is Silence," which appeared in one of the first issues of F&SF I read, blew me away. He treated me far more cordially than necessary when I approached him at a World Fantasy Con and shoved a manuscript at him...gave me very kind rejection notes...kept me going. It's been terrible to know how ill he has been, and for how long. I'm glad to hear he got his wish of dying at home. My best wishes go out to his family and close friends.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:35 am:   

This is from Doug Winter:

Elizabeth McDonald advises that the following arrangements have been made for the visitation and services. Newton is about an hour from New York City; it is practically impossible to reach it except by car.

Visitation at the funeral home:

Wednesday September 20th, 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm

Iliff-Ruggiero Funeral Home
156 Main St
Newton, NJ 07860
(973) 383-5200

Funeral service:
Thursday September 21st, 11 am

Christ Church
62 Main Street
Newton NJ 07860
Phone: 973-383-2245

Donations are requested (in lieu of flowers), and I am trying to put together a fund that will allow us all to keep Charlie's memory alive in a constructive and powerful way. I hope to have better information this evening. The expenses of the funeral have been covered, and an HWA benefit fund exists to take care of all remaining medical expenses (we hope).

Elizabeth is putting together a photo display. If you happen to have any memorable photos of Charlie, please send them directly to Elizabeth at eamcd@comcast.net

Thanks so much.

Doug

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 08:48 am:   

Charles Grant

born September 12, 1942, Hackettstown, New Jersey died September 15, 2006, Newton, New Jersey

Charles Lewis Grant, 64, one of the post-war generation’s most honored and influential fantasy and horror writers, died of a heart attack at home in Newton, New Jersey, following a long illness. The son of an Episcopalian priest, Grant attended Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, with thoughts of following in his father’s footsteps; but he soon changed his majors to English and History. After graduation from Trinity in 1964, he returned to New Jersey (the setting for all of his major novels) to teach high school. His first serious efforts at writing fiction came in 1966, when he attended the meetings of a local writers’ club. In April 1968, he made his first sale, to The Magazine of Fantasy of Science Fiction. Later that month, he was drafted into the U.S. Army, and served in Vietnam with the Military Police at Qui Nhon, where he was seriously wounded twice.

After two years of active duty, Grant returned to teaching, but dedicated himself to writing, producing five novels that were never published. His first published novel, The Shadow of Alpha (1976), as well as Ascension (1977) and Legion (1979) were science fiction, but he soon shifted his attention to horror, creating the “Oxrun Station”
series, which includes the novels The Hour of the Oxrun Dead (1977), The Sound of Midnight (1978), The Last Call of Mourning (1979), The Grave (1981), The Bloodwind (1982), The Soft Whisper of the Dead (1982), The Dark Cry of the Moon and The Long Night of the Grave (both 1986), as well as two collections of novelettes, Nightmare Seasons
(1982) and The Orchard (1985).

In 1978, Grant unveiled the short story anthology series Shadows, setting a new and insistently literary standard for horror fiction anthologies. In the introduction to its first volume, Grant offered his enduring manifesto, championing “a quiet way to scream” – a literature of “dark fantasy” that became known as “quiet horror.”

Although critically acclaimed as a writer and editor, Grant sometimes wrote pseudonymously for financial or simply entertaining reasons. He penned a best-selling series of romances as Felicia Andrews; occult adventure novels as Geoffrey Marsh; humorous fantasies and other novels as Lionel Fenn, Timothy Boggs, Mark Rivers, and Simon Lake. But his devotion to horror fiction was unrelenting – as witness the novels Night Songs (1984), The Tea Party (1985), The Pet (1986), For Fear of the Night (1988), In a Dark Dream (1989), Stunts (1990), Something Stirs (1991), Raven (1993), Jackals (1994); his “Millennium Quartet,”
Symphony (1997), In the Mood (1998), Chariot (1998), and Riders in the Sky (1999); his “Black Oak” series; his final story collection The Black Carousel (1995); and two New York Times best-selling “X-Files”
novels.

Grant wrote more than 110 books and 200 short stories, and edited more than two dozen short fiction anthologies. He received (among other awards and honors) the Nebula, World Fantasy, British Fantasy, and Bram Stoker Awards. He was also presented with Lifetime Achievement Awards from the Horror Writers Association, the British Fantasy Society, and the World Horror Convention. He was a past president of the Horror Writers Association and past Vice President of the Science Fiction Writers of America. As writer, editor, mentor, and friend, he nurtured the careers of countless younger writers throughout the world.
Grant is survived by his wife of 24 years, Kathryn Ptacek of Newton; his brother, John C. Grant of Washington, New Jersey; a son, Ian M.
Grant and his wife Caroline of Juneau, Alaska; a daughter, Emily Stalnaker and her husband Aaron of Akron, Ohio; two grandchildren, Payton M. Grant and Aaron Robert Stalnaker; and many cousins. He was predeceased by his parents, Reverend Sydney E. and Minerva (Clark) Grant.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the Charles L.
Grant Memorial Fund, which will be established to help further the careers of young writers and editors of fantasy and horror fiction.

Kelly Christopher Shaw
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 09:24 am:   

Thanks a lot for posting that, Ellen. I came to the genre after Grant published most of his "serious" work, so I'm looking forward to discovering his "Oxford" novels and other books.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |