HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Am I Approaching An Anomaly?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Am I Approaching An Anomaly? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John William Thiel
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 06:31 am:   

I have noticed that when I click for the forum at the F&SF site, I only get once chance at it. That is, when I have visited the forum and returned from it, if I have something I've decided to check out, I have to reboot my computer to do it, because hitting forum won't bring up the forum a second time while remaining online.

This has been so right along, and I was pretty accustomed to it, but I have found that on the Analog Site's links page, the first link I hit comes up, but thereafter clicking for a link does not operate any more until I have rebooted. This is also true of their blogs--I can only look at one each online period.

The same is true of the Asimov's links page and blog page. They have a similar page, to the point that hitting something on the Analog page registers as a hit via a color-change on the Asimov's links and blog pages. I have not experimented with hitting an Asimov's link after hitting an Analog link yet, but I suppose I'd get a dud there too, considering the color changes, unless I went offline first.

Now I have found that if I hit an Analog link, I don't even get F&SF's forum the first time; this has happened three days in a row. To get here today I used a bookmark instead, rather than re-booting. Why I did that was to shortcut the "Observer Effect", my methodology being pure science.

Hmm, I wonder where this situation exists at? Not with my server, I hope.

John William Thiel
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 06:23 am:   

I think a forum is getting pretty slow-moving when no one will inform me whether I am approaching an anomaly. The title does have a question in it.

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 06:35 am:   

It sounds to my uneducated self like a problem that is more likely to be found on your computer than elsewhere.

John William Thiel
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 05:10 pm:   

Is a computer an anomaly?

I have considered the problem to be with my computer right along. Nightshade, for instance, wouldn't short-count anyone, and the Worx Group comes across honest and with integrity.

George O'Gorman
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   

Try deleting your cookies.

John William Thiel
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 07:58 am:   

Well, that's a good idea, except when I didn't keep up my cookies on one site (classmates dot com) I lost my effectiveness at posting at that site. Cookies are an either-or proposition, either a help or a pestilence, sometimes both at once. One of the banes of existence, actually, unless they aren't.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |