HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Pulp Fiction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Pulp Fiction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

GabrielM
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 03:19 pm:   

Not sure where to post this, so I'll just put it here:

Those of you who live in or near New York might want to come out to the Brooklyn Museum and check out the new Pulp Fiction exhibit. It's a real beauty, selections from Robert Lesser's collection of the original paintings of covers from pulp fiction mags. As a bonus, each original painting is exhibited together with a copy of the magazine in which it was featured. Included are paintings used as covers for Blue Book, Argosy, Doc Savage, The Spider, Spicy Detective, Adventure, The Shadow and many others. As a Weird Tales enthusiast I was happy to see a few covers from the mag -- all St. John paintings, no Brundage (unfortunately), but including the WT issue featuring Jack Williamson's classic GOLDEN BLOOD. In addition to St. John, highlights included a few Virgil Finlay paintings which were lovely, and two full-size Hannes Bok paintings, The Sorcerer and Picnic on Mars. (I have a real soft spot for Bok, who illustrated the covers to two of my prized possessions, the original Arkham House editions of Hope Hodgson's HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND and Robert E Howard's SKULL-FACE AND OTHERS.) Picnic on Mars was a particularly lovely painting, with landscape details showing Maxfield Parrish's clear influence on Bok.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators