HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Jim Grimsley's Story Killed at Asimov... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Jim Grimsley's Story Killed at Asimov's. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   

I actually had to register. Well, it cleaned up the spam.

Anyway, to the matter at hand. If you haven't been to Asimov's lately, here is the top topic of discussion from SF writer Jim Grimsley.

I, by the way, happen to LIKE his work.

Asimov's Story Killed:

Here is what Jim wrote:

About an hour ago Sheila Williams called me to tell me she'd been directed by the magazine's owner to kill my upcoming story "Wendy." Sheila accepted the story two months ago and I signed a contract for it two weeks ago. She told me she was about to send the proofs when she got the news that the owner was killing the story.

The story's protagonist is a person with known genetic tendencies toward child abuse, at a time when these can be firmly predicted. The story is being killed due to the child abuse content.

I've written a couple of stories trying to point out the fact that these wonderful technoloies we are developing will inevitably be used in depraved ways. "Wendy" is another story in that vein. I don't want to say much more in detail about the plot since I hope to sell the story elsewhere.

I'm not posting this here to start a discussion about this action since I'm not likely to hang around for it. But this forum is a convenient way of letting other Asimovs writers know that this has happened.

Sheila did offer to pay for the story but I declined. This was not her decision and I don't bear anyone any ill will over this since I knew I was pushing boundaries with this story - apparently a bit too hard, in fact.

I just want to say, whoever buys Jim's story, I don't care who, even if Nightshades buys it and prints it as a chapbook, that business will get my business.

If it is a magazine that buys it, I'll buy a subscription. If it is a donation based publication such as Strange Horizons, then as long as you take money orders, I'll try to send a donation.

Anyway, surprised there wasn't a thread already on this topic. But hearing about stories getting killed due to content as opposed to letting the editor do their job bugs the crap out of me.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

P.S. Jim, if you are reading, hopefully you will not think ill of me for putting this post up. I meant well.

Marguerite Reed
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 03:47 am:   

Certainly gives one pause about what message this sends to both writers and editors.

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:07 am:   

Kinda surprised this isn't generating more traffic here. Maybe that is because it is generating traffic at Asimov's.

Oh well.

Certainly puts a chill in my shorts.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy

Matt Hughes
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:34 am:   

Murph:

I don't see much point in repeating myself here. Anyone's who interested in the issue has hopped over to Asimov's.

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

Steven Francis Murphy
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   

I see your point, Matt.

I'm outta here.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators