HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Problem With Title of a Novel

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Problem With Title of a Novel « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rondwyer
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   

I'm having a problem with the title of a science fiction novel I plan to write. Let me just say that it is about a particular institution.
I looked on the internet to see if the name has been taken; it has, by an actual institution.
A friend suggested another title, by substituting one of the words for a synonym. I liked that title also, but I found that name was already taken, by a different institution.
So I have some questions. Do I go with one of these titles, and say something in the preface to the effect "This is a work of fiction and does not have anything to do with the actual <------>...." Would that avoid possible lawsuits?
Or should I entitle the novel differently?

Neal Asher
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 12:46 am:   

Write the novel first and worry about the title later.

Maggie Blue
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 07:26 pm:   

I've been in this situation also, at least twice. What I did was go on and write the book. I did end up changing my title. Thought of the new title when I was about half way through writing the book, and I like the new title better. Good luck, keep writing. Maggie

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |