HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Is Communication On The Net Counter-P...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Is Communication On The Net Counter-Productive? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 08:15 am:   

This is a variation of an earlier consideration: "Is self-promotion on the internet counter-productive"?

"Is all communication on the internet counter-productive?"
I think many friendships have been lost because of electronic misunderstandings etc., misinformation received, misinformation given, time wasted, too much put into writing which would have been better said... etc.?
des

Brendan
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   

Hmmm. Then again, I have made tons of contacts and relations through the internet. I communicate with many many people who I have never met. I find out what people from different parts of the world think.

des
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 01:11 am:   

I agree, Brendan. But what picture are you receiving - never be sure till you meet the people. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Also if that lady civil servant had said 'A good day to bury bad news' to her colleagues instead of emailing it, she'd still be in her job. Equally foolish, however, saying it or emailing it, but that's life.

Also, the internet de-iconises, over-familiarises, desensitises, overcrowds, I feel. For example Fred & Ginger become email addresses or websites tarnishing their iconicity...
Seeing relatively famous authors flouncing about on the internet also serves the same negative purpose. No?
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 03:52 am:   

Sorry, I meant to include a self-deprecatory ;-) in that last bit above.
des

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |