HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

1950s question - plastic carpet runners?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » 1950s question - plastic carpet runners? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:08 am:   

Seeking info - were there clear plastic carpet runners in the early 1950s? Clear rubber ones? Does anyone know? Couldn't find anything in those useful 'history of plastics' sites. My parents think these things weren't around before the 60s or 70s, but they're not positively sure.

Any help much appreciated!

Brendan
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 08:56 am:   

Yes, I don't think there were either. I don't think those type of things really caught on until the 80's actually. You could always make it the world's first cear plastic carpet runner.

Steve
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:51 am:   

My memory only goes back to the 60's, but I don't remember the clear ones until maybe the 70's. In fact, the only runners I recall from the 60's were brown or black rubber.

There were no plastic pop bottles or plastic milk jugs, which leads me to believe that clear plastics may have been a problem.

des
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:00 am:   

My memory goes back to most of the fifties in UK - but what are carpet runners?
des

Tom Barlow
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:16 pm:   

I remember these in the 50's; made of the same plastic as that used to cover car seats.

Kirsten Bishop
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:52 pm:   

Thanks all!

Des - they're those clear plastic mats with spikes on the bottom that you lay down over carpet in heavy-traffic areas like doorways and halls. For carpet lovers only.

Tom - was it clear plastic? And in the early 50s?

I love this message board. Where else can you holler out a question about plastic carpet runners and get answers - within 24 hours, at that?

I've just emailed the American Chemical Society to see if they know. I suppose they've had stranger queries in their time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |