HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Message board updates

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Message board updates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   

We're upgrading the message board software, so there are some changes coming to the boards in the next couple of weeks.

Registration will be required. No more anonymous posting. I'm also thinking of requiring real names.

All members will be added to the Night Shade Books mailing list. We spend quite a bit of money on maintaining these boards, and most people never even look at our site. So in exchange for using the boards, you're going to get Night Shade spam once a month or so. We don't sell our lists, or let anyone else use them, and you've always got the option of unsubscribing from the newsletter if you don't want it.

Posts will now have the month/day/year, instead of just the month/day.

New threads and posts will now appear at the top of the thread list, instead of the bottom.

Does anyone have any requests? Get them in soon, as the contractors will be starting work shortly.

Jason

John Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 04:22 pm:   

Make registering eay.

des
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:24 am:   

Will we need new passwords to allow administrative access for our own threads?
des

des
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:26 am:   

Sorry, when I say 'our own', I mean threads in our name and/or in the name of our publication? I know all the threads actually belong to Night Shades!
:-)
des

KeithB
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 04:57 am:   

No special requests - just to say thanks for providing these boards!

John Thiel
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 06:47 am:   

"I'm also thinking"--who's "I"?

des
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 07:51 am:   

Like Keith, I too would like to thank NS Books for these threads. Three years old last month. Mine was accidentally the first ever thread and Keith the first message on it - as it happened!
des

Melissa Mead
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 02:10 pm:   

I like the "New posts on top" idea.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 03:42 am:   

You must do what you need to do.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:37 am:   

I'd be delighted to get Night Shade emails -- which I don't consider spam -- so I'd remember to look for new books. But then, I've been known to buy your books and wear your t-shirt. I really appreciate the discussion board -- it's a nice place to do a little shameless self promotion or to throw out an idea -- so I'm willing to go along with whatever system you put in place.

If in doing this you can give us the authority to delete the actual spam posts that are showing up lately, I'd be very grateful. My board is plagued with spam about online poker and god knows what else.

Since I always use my own name on these things, it's fine by me if you require it. Though I admit that there are occasional joke threads that are made more entertaining by the use of creative pseudonyms.

Jed Hartman
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   

I'd love to see a couple of minor changes to the look of the forum pages, if it's not too late:

1. Slightly more space above the name/date line for each post, and/or slightly less space below it, to make it clearer that the post is associated with the name above it rather than the name below it.

2. Slightly less cluttered look to the name/date lines. In fact, I would get rid of all four arrow buttons, unless people use them more than I would expect -- clicking a button to jump to a posting immediately above or below the current one seems like overkill to me. And maybe not such a heavy double line around the name/date lines; a single line would probably set it off adequately and make it feel a little cleaner (to me). And I'd change the permalink icon -- I wouldn't have guessed from looking at it that that's what it is.

3. Perhaps slightly wider left and right margins on the text of each post, to make the page overall feel slightly less full of text.

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:12 am:   

Did this upgrade result in Zoran's board disappearing? Or was that something else?

Popping off to register now...

Jim Borland
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 04:34 pm:   

I'm still looking for anyone who knows anything at all about a book I read over 50 years ago. The "Hero" travels back in fime and meets a lovely woman he falls in love with. She gives him a broach inscribed with "Love always and courage, Josette. He then wakes up in his own time and wonders if it was all a dream. One day he is passing an antique shop and sees a broach very much like the one given him by Josette.Upon opening the broach, he sees the inscription, "Love always and courage, Josette. This was in a science fiction magazine in 1954. Anyone?

refillkit
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:00 am:   

Refill Machine Inkjet U$ 1090 Ariel@refillkit.com.ar

The INK-REFILL F machine is a revolutionary machine that works to refill ALL black inkjet cartridges and ALL color inkjet cartridges with printheads in just 1-2 minutes! This is the ultimate machine in the REFILLKIT series, capable of filling ANY inkjet cartridge that has a print head! This introductory price of only U$S1090 will end in October, so take advantage now while its on sale!

Fills a cartridge in about one minute
Fill about 20-30 cartridges per hour depending on style of cartridge
Refills ANY HP, Lexmark or Canon cartridge with printheads!
Brand new machine with 6 month factory guarantee. Warranty card with instructions for repairs or replacement by the factory.
Electrical parts are UL approved
120 or 220 volt and plug (just let us know in the comments section which you prefer - 220V for EUROPE or 110V for USA). There is an extra $30 charge for the 110V Volts.
This is the perfect product for a low-cost startup business! Cash in and see how easy it is to turn ink into gold with these convenient and professional filling machines Offices in USA MIAMI ARGENTINA 54-11-4857-3400 ariel@refillkit.com.ar www.refillkit.com.ar

John Thiel
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   

Spamming the update, eh?

John William Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 06:39 am:   

No, Nightshades, I don't like your new forum with its registration. It's too much like damnation and you are too much like demons. I can give up the whole forum if you are going to be that way about it.

Well, this one did edit. (See message below.) I withdraw my complaint. You're not really like demons. But you sure did seem that way at first when I tried posting on another topic. The same thing didn't work there. Maybe if I went back and tried it again it would now work.

John William Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 06:42 am:   

I wondered if that one would post. I have to put my name in as John_thiel to get it posted and I thought that's the way it would read on the board, but if it reads John William Thiel that's all right and not part of my complaint. And this doesn't seem to work on editing a message, or I'd edit the message above.

koaco4
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:19 pm:   

Hi , just wanted to tell you about a really cool site. Here it is take a look sometime .

http://www.yourharrypotter.com/news.php
http://www.yourharrypotter.com/store.php
http://www.yourharrypotter.com/forum.php
http://www.yourharrypotter.com/gallery.php

see you around the forums!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |