HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

H.P. Lovecraft

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » H.P. Lovecraft « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nathan S
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   

Check This Out:

www.cthulhuthemovie.com

A friend of mine from Seattle (where they shot most of it), who's also a big Lovecraft buff turned me onto this. Says its been a pretty big deal up there - its one of the biggest Lovecraft adaptation anyone's ever mounted. I saw the trailer on the site and it actually looks pretty well done (I think that's Tori Spelling in pink undies?) It's worth checking out...thought I'd pass it on to the Lovecraftians out there.

jk
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:11 pm:   

This looks like it's going to be crap. Tori Spelling? Did you see the website? What a joke. Another steaming turd of a movie based on Lovecraft's work. Oh well, we can only hope that Del Toro's At The Mountains Of Madness will be worthwhile.

JKS
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 06:03 am:   

Thanks Nathan. It does look good, doesn't it. I especially liked the line in the blog:

" We appreciate the love for Lovecraft out there and we have our own love for him. We are trying to pay tribute to his vision. We think he has some important things to say to the world and yes, we're not afraid to use them as a vehicle for the most vital of contemporary concerns."

Good on them.

jk - Independant Lovecraft films seem to be an aquired taste. Some I like, some I don't but most of them are not entirely without some sort of merit. I don't think that any of these film-makers expect to get rich. These are labors of love.

Jonathan

jk
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 07:46 pm:   

I find more merit and true appreciation of Lovecraft in the Lovecraft Film Festival dvds that have been put out recently, as opposed to Stuart Gordon and his z-grade ilk.

JKS
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 09:58 am:   

Yeah, I really enjoyed those DVDs (would like some more too) but I rather like Stuart Gordon's work; mind you some are so far over the top they're half way down the other side ('Castle Freak' springs to mind. Yuk, gross).

I'm looking forward to seeing his 'Dreams in the Witch House' one fine day (we don't seem able to get Showcase up here in the Great White North, otherwise I'd sign up just to see the 'Masters of Horror' series). That one apparently did premiere at last year's Lovecraft Film Festival, but no sign of a DVD yet.

If you've got the spare change, check out 'The Thing on the Doorstep' DVD from Maelstrom Productions. It's a little hokey in spots but generally not too bad at all. And it also includes 'The Love Craft' short, which is funny as all get out.

Also available is Guerrilla Production's 'The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath' (which I haven't got around to watching yet, but looks interesting) and 'Call of Cthulhu' from Lurker Films (same people who do the H. P. Lovecraft collection), which I'll probably order; if for no other reason than to also get a couple of their new 'Devil's Reef Pale Ale Beer Glass'; which I must have!

Robert
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:33 am:   

I normally hate Gordon's Lovecraft films, but he surprised me with Dreams in the Witch House. It was decent, and was the best Masters of Horror episode I saw (most were terrible).

The Lovecraft film festival DVD I saw was good, the other 2 are in the mail. The silent Call of Cthulhu was also pretty good.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:03 am:   

Robert, did you see the Joe Dante episode of Masters of Horror?
I've heard lots about it, but have no cable...

JKS
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:17 am:   

Good to hear more positive things about 'Call'. After I finished posting, I heeded the call and scurried off and bought it along with a couple of the 'Devil's Reef' pint glasses. Yes, they will be mine! Now all I have to do is figure out what to add to the beer to give it the desired characteristics. Bwahhahaha!

Robert - Did you see the episode adapting Joe Lansdale's 'Incident On And Off A Mountain Road'? If so, how was it? The trailer looked pretty cool.

Robert
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:24 am:   

No, I haven't seen that episode. I keep forgetting to check when I can watch that one.

JKS
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:33 am:   

Jeremy - Just flipped to the 'Master of Horror' website and watched the Joe Dante trailer. Looked ok. Flip over and give it a watch - Hey! It has Robert Picardo (the good doctor from 'Voyager'), so the whole thing can't be that bad.

jk
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   

I've seen all the Masters of Horror shows so far. For me, the best episodes were John Carpenter's and the one based on Joe Landsdale's story. I thought the Stuart Gordon one was fairly awful, and the changes he made weren't for the better. The Joe Dante one was a one-note political zombie comedy, not very good. The John Landis one was also a horror/comedy dud about a half-woman half-deer native american myth. Dario Argento was pretty foul, about a crazy disfigured woman who goes around having sex with people then killing them. I'm still waiting for the Miike episode, maybe that one will be interesting.

Robert
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 11:58 am:   

I didn't watch the Carpenter one yet. The Lansdale one seemed kind of bland. The Landis one was bad, as was the Argento. I expected to hate the Gordon one as much as his films. Since I went in expecting it to be terrible, I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't.

I saw the Dante one yesterday. It was rather one note, but it was more entertaining than the others.

Alistair
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:12 am:   

Lovercraft and Lego!!!

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=166054

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |