HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The World According to Zack the Anony...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » The World According to Zack the Anonymous « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zack
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   

I'd like to know why a self-destructing thread of apology is apparent in Night Shade books and other publishers of Horror novels/stories. Manley Wade Wellman was not a cozening member of the "modernist tradition" that's ridiculous. Do you really think New Criterion or Nation magazine subscribers read Night Shade books? So why do you bother trying to hype your books by squealing such maladjusted mainstream banalities? Why is Wellman's work "more than the sum of its parts"? Why the condescending tone of disapproval? Would you say Stephen King's monumental canon is "more than the sum of its parts"? As for lastingness I can't imagine anything more dated than Harlan Ellison's short stories (or his one novel about the cheesy rock star). Just as Lucius Shepherds will be. If you’re ashamed of the books you publish I guess you’re just opportunistic moneygrubbers, or did all the little abstract feminist poetry journals send you rejection slips?

Bruce
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:01 pm:   

Hey, 'Zack'! Considering the proliferation of brain-dead shitheads polluting discussion boards recently, it's pretty tough to take your bleating seriously. At least your spel chekker works, pal. Have a nice day, as Harlan observed in 'Xenogenesis'.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   

What the bleeding blue fuck are you on about? We like Lucius, we publish Lucius. We like Manly, so we publish Manly. How are we ashamed of the books we publish? If we were ashamed, we wouldn't fucking publish them, would we?

Opportunistic moneygrubbers. I fucking wish. Do you have any clue how much money an average title makes around here? Not much. That's when they make a profit at all, which isn't all that often. Opportunistic moneygrubbing isn't to be found in naval-gazing big brain lit fantasy, that's for fucking sure. And it's not in horror. The horror fans don't buy our horror. In fact, nobody really buys our horror. If I had to live on the horror community, or on sales of horror fiction, I'd be driving a cab for a living.

Perhaps a perusal of our catalog might give a clue that we are not a horror publisher. Never have been, never will be. We publish science fiction, fantasy and horror. Frequently in the same book.

I suppose the abstract feminist poetry journals would send me rejection slips, and deservedly so, I'm not a poet, a feminist, or a writer. But a very clever and biting jab on your part, kudos to you!

Near as I can tell, you're upset because we don't advertise all of our books as "OOOHHH!! SUPER SCARY SPOOKY STUFF!!!!" At least I think that's what you're going on about. I guess you'll just have to join the rest of the horror fans who don't buy any of our books.

Calling my a opportunistic moneygrubber is fine with me, just please stop calling us an "other publisher of Horror novels/stories". It irritates me.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 05:14 pm:   

Zack, the only thing I am ashamed of is incoherent, defensive diatribes like your own. Your ghettoized defensive bullshit is what gives genre readers a bad name.

I stand by Wellman's work, and Shepard’s, and every other writer we publish. If you have some magical insight in how to write add copy that that will get these author's work in front of the largest audience possible(you know... the whole reason for publishing books), while at the same time not offending your delicate sensibilities, please feel free to spend your time and effort writing such descriptive add copy for us. Otherwise, fuck off.

Night Shade has done more for the horror genre, and for classic weird fiction authors then you ever will in your sad, sorry pathetic existence. Go spend seven years of your life slaving away trying to get people to recognize quality fiction, old and new. Go put up 10’s of thousands of your own money(per book), on the off chance that you MIGHT POSSIBLY be able to get someone to buy it. Go break new authors into the field… be the first one to publish their books. Help get horror authors big contracts with big NY publishing houses, and ask for nothing in return. Go give your fucking life and soul to this genre…

Then come to me and try and criticize me and my company… then come to me and complain about my FUCKING ADD COPY. Your Ignorant drival offends me on so many levels, I can't even begin to express the bile that it fills me with.

-Jeremy Lassen
Night Shade books

PS you obviously are only familiar with a small sliver of Manly’s work. Go try and look outside your ghetto sometime. If you do so, you might appear less ignorant when you mouth of in public.

JV
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:45 am:   

I have retitled this thread so that Zack the Anonymous can post whatever he likes to his heart's desire here.

Congrats--no message board for ya, Zack, but you get yer own thread.
JeffV

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |