HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Daikaiju: Giant Monster Tales

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Daikaiju: Giant Monster Tales « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AnnaT
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 05:25 am:   

Daikaiju: Giant Monster Tales edited by Robert Hood and Robin Pen
http://www.roberthood.net/daikaiju-antho/index.html
made a roaring and in the case of Richard Harland, screaming debut at Conflux 2005, held in Canberra last weekend. Dai=giant and Kaiju=monster. Art + stories = a total kick. Magnificent cover art by Godzilla-crazed Bob Eggleton.
http://www.bobeggleton.com/
Wonderfully surreal (but is it revolutionary?) interior colour illustration by Todd Tennant
http://www.roberthood.net/daikaiju-antho/contributors/todd.htm

A great hooting range of almost 350 pages of tales by an international cast of malfeasants. One of the stories, dammit, "The Tragical History of Guidolon, the Giant Space Chicken" is even by Frank Wu, whose art I refuse to link to, though it is bloody everywhere. Hey Frank, you're not supposed to write, too. I bet you needed help with the spelling.

The tone of the anthology isn't one of those I'm- so-cool-I-sneer-at-everything-but-myself, but a laughing-with, unashamed to be enthusiastic, unabashed collection meant to be read for pleasure. As it says: "Mammoth mega-fauna! Apocalyptic adventure! Surreal suspense! Catastrophic comedy! Monstrous metaphysics"

And I don't have anything to do with this book other than being there for the launch, buying a copy and enjoying it immensely.

Robert Hood
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

Thanks, Anna, for the kind words. The anthology was great fun to edit (if bloody hard work), so I figured it might be fun to read too. It's great to get confirmation from actual readers.

Dunmore
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 07:55 pm:   

Well, I just have to get hold of this. It looks wonderful.

In recent years (last two or three, really) I've been trying to establish a collection of books about monsters and have been finding it difficult to come by any. So I'm going to get hold of this one for sure.

I just saw this thread after posting a thread about the Mongolian Death Worm, which was a shameless self-indulgence on my part as regards an unruly passion for extraordinary beasts of unknown (or partially known) nature.

But now I see it was perfectly fitting!

Thanks for drawing it to attention, AnnaT.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |