HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Public Apology

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Public Apology « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kage Baker
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 01:20 pm:   

Folks, I did a dumb, dumb thing.

I broke my own rule about never discussing religion or politics on a board. It started as a bunch of ex- and soon-to-be-ex-Catholics gloomily discussing the election of a Pope none of us could stand.

It turned into a huge fistfight. Things got very, very ugly.

I was appalled, even more so when Jeff Ford (whom my agent refers to as a saint) became furious.

I asked that my board be taken down in order to stop the fight, not because I was leaving in a huff. Unfortunately, it hasn't done that.

I have been called timid and mealy mouthed and, yes indeed, I am. I'm just not a fighter.

Please come back to the board, Jeff. I'm sorry this happened.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   

Kage: For the record, I never became furious. What I did was post my point of view on Cardinal Law, only to be admonished by Tom Barclay, who I don't know from Adam. I was wondering why he was admonishing me, and asked him, but I got no response. That was the extent of my involvement. I wasn't directing my post at anyone and what I was discussing was fact. How do you interpret that as being furious? I said in my post above, that it cracked me up, the way the whole thing went down, and it still does. I find it laughable. I'm not leaving the board because I'm mad. It amazed me as to how this incident has been and will be misconstrued. And Kage, I like you. I've never said boo on your message board before. What drew me there was the topic which I was really interested in discussing. I had no idea what your message board was about, but from the way you opened the discussion, I figured it was ok to express an opinion. And I still am a saint.

Kage Baker
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   

It should have been perfectly okay to express an opinion. I guess I interpreted your tone as angry, and then when you announced you were leaving, that reinforced the impression. Certainly a lot of other people were angry. I couldn't believe the ridiculous way it was ballooning out of control, and every time I tried to lighten things up... well, you saw.

Anyway, I hope you won't leave on my account.

jeff ford
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:16 pm:   

Kage: Everything's cool. I'm still leaving but it doesn't have anything to do with you, just the amount of time and energy, as Jason said in his intro to the political and Religious thread, that can be expended here. This situation could have been possible bad blood between us for no reason, not even with any volition on either of our parts. Just the way it can spin out of control. Thanks for writing back. When you split, I was thinking, man, she got that right. Anyway, I've had a lot of good conversations, and arguments and fun talks with people here. Met a lot of great folks. But I'm gonna take a hiatus. Thanks to Jason and Jeremy for hosting my message board. Thanks to all the people who corresponded with me. JeffV is going to take my stuff down next week some time. Later all. It's been fun.

Kage Baker
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:33 pm:   

Like he said.

I have writing committments I owe and just not enough time now.

Take care, all.

Terri Wood
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   

I guess Lucias doesn't have any writing committments.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:50 pm:   

Jeff Ford: Don't you DARE leave!

Kage,
I haven't followed the thread, have no idea what happened, and could care less. However, it's easy enough to delete a thread or a post if the "owner" is unhappy. Or more usually, bad threads just peter out on their own and everyone moves on to other things.

Kage Baker
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:56 pm:   

Thanks, Ellen.

Rick Hauptmann
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

We'll miss you, Kage. Come back soon.

StephenB
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   

Well if it's really a time and energy sucking issue, I can understand and respect that, but if this is just another passive agressive sort of act...

Jeff, I think it's probably in your best interest to keep your board. It's a place where you can chat with fellow writers and friends. But it's also a place where you can get feed back from fans and let people know about your latest work. You don't have to like everyone. The great thing about electronic communication like email and message boards, is that you can respond when ever you feel like it, on your own time. It's all really up to you. If you're feeling like you're spending to much time on the board, then use that free will of yours and don't spend so much time.:-) Besides, do you really care what Tom Barclay thinks of you, or what he does? I don't really know the guy so I'm not going to judge him too hard, but you know what I mean. You're one of the cooler guys around here.

Dunmore
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 06:06 pm:   

Well, I'm a stranger to all this, and the Kage Baker thread has disappeared.

The Jeff Ford thread is about to disappear, too, against everone's wishes. But if JF has his reaons, then the reasons are good.

The Kage Baker thread, however, has no business disappearing (if I may be so bold), because it was one of the few threads that anyone could contribute to without feeling a single pang of inhibition--a very precious thing in the world of threads, in my opinion.

Let me double check and see if I've actually properly seen all this correctly.

Dunmore
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   

Yes, I have seen it correctly. There is no KB thread.

Please come back, KB. The thread was one of the best and most beneficial for the sake of fun as well as interest.

And if anyone wants to talk about the new pope, talk to me. I live in Italy, and I have seen (full frontal nudity--in a psychological sense) the poeple who call themselves "papa boys"!!!

Dunmore
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   

Next time I'll get my spelling right.

Dunmore
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   

By the way, when I say that JF has his reaons (sounds like a breakfast cereal) for going etc., it (of course it means reasons: but) means very much echoing what StephenB says above.

Who is this Tom Barclay anyway? Sounds like some cad out of a Jane Austen novel.

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 07:08 pm:   

Geez this sucks. Sorry to see you go, Kage. Hope you come back. Hope you decide to just take a break from the boards, Jeff...

Thomas R
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 04:48 pm:   

TR: I come back from conference to see you gone. I guess things got worse or just more uncomfortable. I hope I'll still see you somewhere Kage. In least on the Food Network maybe:-)

I don't think I was in your group much, but I enjoyed what time I spent. Thank you for being gracious to me before I ever even came here.

StephenB
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

She's gone, dude. Dry your eyes and get over it.

Thomas R
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   

It could get back to her. Besides I don't know where else she's been of late. She was one of the most pleasant people at Nightshades IMO. Maybe not the most exciting, but that's okay.

StephenB
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:25 pm:   

Um, that wasn't me who posted that 9:49 post. I'm seriously hung over though. I feel like shit..ah

AnnaT
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:33 am:   

Kage,
I've never posted on your threads, but have read and enjoyed them. I didn't read what happened, but it seems to have been pretty high-speed super-heated stream-of-thought. If we had to write our passions out with quill pens and then post them on sailing ship runs, we'd all write differently when it comes to what moves us, and The Temptation of the Type and Click. I hope you come back here again. You've got great wit and style and life. I don't even spend much time reading this bulletin board, but it is the only one I read, you being a reason why.

And on politics and religion: there are other people who are really obsessed with the size of their boobs and the colour of their car upholstery. Isn't a passionate verbal blow-up, complete with misunderstandings and hurts all round and contriteness and reconciliation and all that crap, better than the alternative crap: people who just let the world slide by, as not any of their business (or more honestly, concern)? I don't think there is a thinking person who hasn't felt mortified by what they've posted on this board. The medium seems to bring out the temptation followed by the mortification. I'll feel pretty stupid for having posted this, but in the passion of the moment, I'm going to do it anyway, possibly for the masochistic pleasure of feeling like a complete fool, the moment after. Instant gratification!

ShadesOfNight
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   

Kage Baker writes: I have writing committments I owe and just not enough time now.

Now that the boys are getting over their hissy fit and after you wrangle up some free some time, I do hope to see your board reopen. It has always been one of the nicest places on the internet to pop in for a cold glass and a tale or two... Most charmingly told.

Damn, this bites though. With whom am I to discuss how very, very bad a machine the Captain's been?

Stephy Doerr
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 07:24 pm:   

Come back, Ms. Baker. I'm crazy for your books and I thought myself extremely lucky to find a board that allowed me to talk directly to one of my favorite authors. Please do come back.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |