HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Review Nightshadebooks.com at Amazon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Review Nightshadebooks.com at Amazon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   

Did you know you can post reviews of websites at Amazon.com now?

http://tinyurl.com/66uba

That was a strange thing to stumble across.

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 02:41 am:   

What an odd thing.
I wonder, did anyone at Amazon take a second to ask why that would be a good thing? Or did they just say, "Hey! There's something we haven't pasted stars on yet!"
I don't see the point.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 06:07 pm:   

I am very very confused.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   

"I wonder, did anyone at Amazon take a second to ask why that would be a good thing? Or did they just say, 'Hey! There's something we haven't pasted stars on yet!'"
"I don't see the point."

Can't you just taste the future on the horizon? It's a part of Amazon's corporate strategy to expand and expand and expand. First it was books and now it's electronics, pet supplies and even scientific supplies. I'm so excited! Now that they're reviewing websites, they got to be running out of ways to expand upon this Earth. That's why they paste stars on everything -- to keep them focused upon their true goal. Sadly, it's the only real chance we seem to have at getting into space. :-(

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:17 am:   

If Amazon is sending us into space, I'd like to make a wish list, please.

--nice shiny spaceships
--cool aliens that are friendly to us (and that we are friendly to)
--no one dies horribly

If you click on one of these, it will be mailed directly to me! I'd like to start with the shiny spaceships.

CA McGee
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 06:47 am:   

Amazon has a subsidiary company, Alexa, that is a web search/portal site. Its search algorithms come directly from Google, but one of the ways that Alexa adds value for its results is by adding a link for "site info" next to each of the search resutls that gives some metadata: traffic rankings, who links to the site, etc. The reviews are part of that meta-information, though I don't know why the reviews are hosted at Amazon.

As far as I can tell, these web site reviews will only show up on an Amazon search if there are no search results (thus it serves up results from a web search instead) or if you specifically tell it to search the web instead of Amazon.com.

If you just do a regular search for "Night Shade Books," for example, even if you search "all products," it will not return the web site. I don't think the system has any way (so far) of linking the publisher data for a book with the web site for that publisher.

Byron Bailey
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   

But we're still going to the stars, right?

Cornelius Kappabani
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 05:29 am:   

Maybe they just try to get a deal with Night Shade by promoting them this way or more likely, they're just out of control and don't know what they're doing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |