HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

How should I study a market?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » How should I study a market? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vylar Kaftan
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 09:40 am:   

I'm having trouble phrasing this question, so please bear with me.

Writers are often advised to read a magazine before sending them stories. That makes perfect sense; the writer gets more fmiliar with what kind of stories they publish.

My question is: how can a writer tell if a story might be a good fit for the market? Sometimes it's obvious, but at other times I'm not sure what to look for. If a story is very different from what a magazine tends to publish, is it probably a poor fit? Or might it be a welcome change for the editor to see something different? Is there any way I can make an educated guess about this?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from some editors on this question, though other thoughts are welcome too.

Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carole C
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 01:52 am:   

Well, the answer is .... there is no answer.

You never really know what will be a good fit, you can only do your best to read the magazine, study the guidelines etc.

Best policy is to just do the best work you can, and hope it fits!

Another thing is - it's amazing how often the perfect place comes along for something that you might think would *never* fit anywhere.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |