HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Rick Kleffel, Patrick Neilson Hayden ...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Rick Kleffel, Patrick Neilson Hayden and Charlie Stross... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerem Lassen
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 09:51 am:   

http://www.livejournal.com/users/matociquala/449536.html?thread=3715072#t3715072

Somebody seems a bit defensive. I think Rick makes a good point... $50 for a novel? Isn't it a bit deceiving to sell a book, and end it with (oh, I'm sorry, did you think you were going to have a complete novel here? sorry. Pony up another $25 if you want to see how it ends).

Do the publishers or retailers fear any kind of backlash against this practice? What is the sales rate of a vol. 2, vs a vol 1 of a split novel? Is there a significant drop off in sales? Scott Westerfield's one of the first titles I remember this happening to. Anybody got some hard data on What recent titles have been split, and what the vol. 2 sales have been like?

I totally understand the marketing pressures that make this type of thing necessary, but PNH's tone seemed a bit... well... defensive. There are downsides to every choice made due to market pressures, and I think Rick was just pointing one out... Rick's point had nothing to do with Publishers/Chains being EVIL. Perhaps shortsighted, but not EVIL.
-JL

Nels
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:56 am:   

When I saw this thread title, I immediately had thoughts of the three stripped to the waist, slathered in baby oil and fighting to the death in a brutal no-holds barred cage match, like Nihilistic_Kid would like.

Then I went and read the page. Sorry. I can't help but envision people stripped to the waist and fighting whilst slathered in baby oil lately.

gary 'slaughterhouse' gibson
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   

"people stripped to the waist and fighting whilst slathered in baby oil lately"

Crap! Didn't anyone tell you about the first rule of Convention Fight Club? DON'T TALK ABOUT IT.

Niall
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:01 am:   

"What is the sales rate of a vol. 2, vs a vol 1 of a split novel? Is there a significant drop off in sales?"

Warning: possibly apocryphal story ahead.

I'm sure I have, somewhere, seen Mary Gentle talk about what it was like to have Ash split up into four separate volumes for US publication. Apparently the stock-control system that decides whether to reprint books is automated, and because there's a natural drop-off of sales with each volume, there was a risk that it would decide to put volume 4 out of print (while keeping the first three in print). I'm not sure whether it ever passed 'risk' to 'actually happened'.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |