HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

A new West Coast writer's tradition?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » A new West Coast writer's tradition? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kage Baker
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 10:03 am:   

I was recently invited to do another reading at Cafe KGB. You know, the glorious little upstairs place with its snug bar, wobbly-legged tables, ancient Marxist posters on the walls and tons and tons and tons of Atmosphere? Where all the modern greats in SF/F/H have read, as well as any number of rising stars and lesser lights?

Only trouble is, it's in New York, and here I am on the West Coast with a budget too tight to fly anywhere right now.

Which got me to thinking: why doesn't somebody start a tradition like that out here?

You'd need a cozy bar, situated somewhere exciting in a location fairly centrally located for the coast, with a good-sized resident population of SF/F/H writers-- San Francisco springs to mind.

You'd need someone to sponsor it, because the bar would probably charge some kind of fee for gatherings, and you'd want to advertise these readings-- and we all know writers have no money...

Anybody got any ideas?

Bob Urell
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:23 pm:   

Been looking into that for two years, Kage. Just haven't gotten it together as yet.... Cuz I'm lazy.

Traveller
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   

You should have it in Oregon, halfway between the Seattle sf writers and the Californian sf writers. It would also be convenient for the Eugene and Portland writers to come. Maybe Portland? It has some places with nice atmosphere, I hear.

Kage Baker
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 09:27 am:   

Indeed it has. Now, if only Powell's would open a bar of its own...

Helpful Addie
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 05:36 pm:   

Maybe McMenamins', a fairly literate chain. They own a Mason's Lodge in Forest Grove and a Poorhouse in Portland.

M.K. Hobson
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 08:01 pm:   

Bob, it sounds like it's time to start up the meetings again. I'm still interested in helping!

Mary

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |