HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

NYTimes on eBooks

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » NYTimes on eBooks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9804E0DA143EF936A35751C1A9629C8B6 3

Between 2002 and 2003, the number of e-books sold rose 71 percent, according to the industry's trade association, the Open eBook Forum. The industry posted record sales in the first quarter of 2004, a 46 percent increase compared with the same period last year. Still, last year's sales of 1.4 million downloadable books are minuscule compared with the more than 2.2 billion books sold in the United States in 2003.

What made this growth possible is a phenomenon the pioneers in the electronic publishing industry didn't foresee: the explosion of cellphones and other hand-held devices with small screens capable of displaying text. About 80 percent of the downloadable books sold to individuals today are read on such devices, according to the two top online electronic retailers, eReader and Fictionwise.

An interesting article. I don't know how to check voice-mail on my phone yet, let alone download books, but one day...

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 05:56 pm:   

I read ebooks every day on my cell phone. Though I do have a stupid-expensive "PDA/cellphone" combo for exactly this purpose.

I prefer reading short fiction on PDA screen, and usually read F&SF in this format, though the occasional novel gets red on the phone as well..

I've also been known to post to my blog from my cell phone, but I only do that because I am trying to immiate Warren Ellis, who seems to do EVERTHING with his cell phone.

Geoffrey Phillips
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 06:29 pm:   

Gutenberg and other free ebook sites have increased the number of free palmreader texts available. At my staff meetings I often look like a diligent notetaker when I'm actually scrolling down texts that are somewhat less boring than the content of my meetings.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |