HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Iron Man To Become Homophobic Hate Mo...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Iron Man To Become Homophobic Hate Monger? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:30 am:   

Apparently, being a broken down rich Alcoholic isn't enough for Marvel.

"MARVEL TAPS SCI-FI LEGEND ORSON SCOTT CARD TO PEN "ULTIMATE IRON MAN," THE NEWEST ADDITION TO MARVEL'S BEST-SELLING ULTIMATE UNIVERSE”

http://www.whiterose.org/howlingcurmudgeons/archives/007262.html

Thomas R
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:30 am:   

His views maybe controversial, but I'm not sure I've ever read any story by Card that could be deemed homophobic or hate-mongering. In fact I think it's pretty unfair to say he's a hate-monger in his own views. His mindset is just detached from ground level reality in a way that's pretty common in Mormons I've seen. He's also a bit of a bigot, but not all bigots are hate-mongers.

Card made a mistake in being publicly bigoted against a group that's generally loved in the world of entertainment he's working in. Being a bigot I sadly don't think is a problem for a writer, but you have to pick a bigotry that works with what you're doing. One where the writing community will sympathize with your bigotry.

I would say I've certainly met many bigots on this forum and other SF forums. However they pick the bigotries that are fashionable, popular, and trendy for what they do. Card's distaste for Muslims is vaguely trendy, for the Right-wing set, but it's too little too late. It fails because the one concerning homosexuals is known and is so very gauche. You have to match your bigotries right and match them with your genre. When he mentioned his blatant anti-homosexual tendencies he should've switched to Westerns or for the Evangelical market. (Although it could be argued the Alvin Maker series was an attempt to do a bit of both) If you're an SF writer whose a bit of a Right-wing bigot you match distaste for Muslims with distaste for the UN. This is like basic bigotry-matching 101.

It's like on the Left. You can make bigotry against whites from the Deep South work for you no problem. You can even make "Death to Southern Baptists" work if you play it right, because SF is overwhelmingly irreligious. However if you're known for distaste toward a well-liked group, let's say American Indians, well then you're screwed.

(I'm being a bit tongue in cheek, but I think it's partly true. Bigotry is not the problem so much for an author as being bigoted against the wrong group. Stirling said all Muslims disappearing would be good, still does well in Right-wing SF circles. Authors on the Left state "Fuck the Red States" they still do fine. Mark Twain gets obsessed with destroying the Christian Scientists same deal.)

carole
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 01:09 am:   

Yes, but you left out the fact that often we are bigoted against groups purely *because* of their own bigotry (for example the KKK). In that case it's just a reactionary case of bigotry, rather than an original source bigotry. The people who react *against* bigots are not necessarily bigots themselves.

Thomas R
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:11 am:   

That's a specific hate group, that's not what I mean.

Bigotry is mostly bigotry, and I think most everyone has some bigotry on something. That some can cloak it as righteousness, because they are reacting against a groups bigotry, doesn't say much to me. Fourth-eighteenth century Christians regularly stated their hatred of Jews was because they believed the Jews hated Christianity so would persecute Christians if they could. That their belief was insane doesn't change the fact that was a justification for some of them. The hatred some have for states that didn't even go that strongly for Bush is insane, but it doesn't change anything for some Left-wing bigots. Many mainline Protestant sects tend to vote liberal, but the antipathy some on the Left have for all Christianity remains. It's also justified in the notion Christianity itself is inherently bigoted in some way/shape/form.

I don't like Card's views on women, Muslims, or gays. However I think if it was a writer bigoted against men, Christians, and polygamists there would be no notice.

carole
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 03:04 am:   

I have to agree with you to a point, but I'm not sure that some on the Left hate Christianity itself, as much as they hate organised religion, (need I mention the Inquisition?).

Also, does it really matter what a writer's political views are? I'm sure I've read a lot of writers whose views I would not agree with.

carole
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 08:12 am:   

But then, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. No, not the soft cushions. NOT THE SOFT CUSHIONS.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |