HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Cool slog

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Cool slog « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

des
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 07:39 am:   

What is the book that you've taken longest to read (months? years?) but ended up enjoying and feeling it had all been worthwhile?
Mine is 'The Golden Bowl' by Henry James.

des
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 07:54 am:   

I should have added that I took 15 years to read 'The Golden Bowl', reading it regularly (every week) during that time!
i.e I wasn't halted and later went back to it.

Proust took me about two years on two complete separate occasions - once in the seventies and the other relatively recently.

Carole C
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 08:21 am:   

In contrast to people who have read Lord of the Rings about 6 times, I have been stuck somewhere in the middle for years. During that time it has been used successfully as a doorstop and as a prop for a fan heater.

I enjoyed the films though.

AliceB
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 10:40 am:   

"The Mismeasure of Man" by Stephen Jay Gould took me about 2 years, though it isn't a particularly long book.

Geoffrey Phillips
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 05:37 pm:   

Justine by Lawrence Durrell. It took me several attempts to finish the book, since I hated the narrator. It was worthwhile, though, as I enjoyed the rest of the Alexandria Quartet after reading Justine.

Carole C
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 03:35 am:   

Never could finish the Alexandria Quartet, but I've read just about all of his brother Gerald's books - I think they are wonderful. (I'm probably too studip to appreciate Lawrence).

natipal
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   

Ringworld - Started it in the ... early 80's? I slogged through about 2 chapters and stopped, then picked up the book again about a year ago. Finished it in less than a month.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |