HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Best Fantastical Fiction of the Last ...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Best Fantastical Fiction of the Last Decade (1992-2002) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:41 am:   

A discussion on one of my message board threads has led to the possible need for a General thread on which people post their recommendations as to the best work produced in the last 10 years. This should be work that you feel will match up well with the best fantasy fiction of all time. It's up to you if you limit it to "fantasy" or include SF/Horror or combinations of these genres. Or eschew the idea of genre altogether. I may use some of these posts to help me compile a list of the best 100 fantasy books of all time, for classes I will be teaching in the future.

Jeff V.

Rhys
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:30 am:   

Two Milorad Pavic novels just make it:

THE INNER SIDE OF THE WIND
LAST LOVE IN CONSTANTINOPLE

Both were first published in English after 1992, though it's possible that in Serbian they precede that date, in which case I guess they'll have to be removed from the list?

Meanwhile:

THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS -- Arundhati Roy

THE GLASSBLOWER'S BREATH -- Sunetra Gupta

A SUITABLE BOY -- Vikram Seth

I have no idea why there are three Indian novels on this list. Maybe Indian fiction in English is currently in some sort of golden age?

SUPER-CANNES -- J.G. Ballard (one of the best Ballard novels ever, after a run of disappointing books)

THE DUMAS CLUB -- Arturo Perez-Reverte

I'm sure I'll think of plenty of others!

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:25 am:   

A few thoughts, by no means intended to be comprehensive --

The novels and stories of M. John Harrison -- SIGNS OF LIFE, COURSE OF THE HEART, TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS, THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPEN.

The stories of Jeff Ford, as collected in FANTASY WRITER'S ASSISTANT.

The stories of Rhys Hughes -- SMELL OF TELESCOPES, WORMING THE HARPY, etc.

John Crowley's ongoing Aegypt tetralogy.

DECLARE by Tim Powers.

Kelly LINK'S collection STRANGER THINGS HAPPEN.

The ghost stories of Terry Lamsley (CONFERENCE WITH THE DEAD, etc.)

The short stories and novellas of Thomas Ligotti, in particular MY WORK IS NOT YET DONE.

The stories and novels of Paul DiFilippo (MOUTHFUL OF TONGUES, CIPHERS, etc.)

THE WOODEN SEA by Jonathan Carroll.

Philip Pullman's DARK MATERIALS trilogy.

Certain Graham Joyce novels -- TOOTH FAIRY, REQUIEM and maybe FACTS OF LIFE.

MARTIN DRESSLER by Steven Millhauser.

In Spanish --

The novels and stories of the excellent Spanish writer Javier Marias, which lie just on the realist side of the border with the fantastic. He might have crossed it with his latest novel, but I haven't read it yet. (CORAZON TAN BLANCO, MANANA EN LA BATALLA..., TODAS LAS ALMAS)

The grotesque/erotic historical fantasies of Federico Andahazi. (EL ANATOMISTA, LAS PIADOSAS)

OLVIDADO REY GUDU and ARANMANOTH by Ana Maria Matute.

The hugely entertaining potboilers of Arturo Perez Reverte (CLUB DUMAS, LA TABLA DE FLANDES, etc.)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |