HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Why Thursday?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Why Thursday? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mastadge
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 04:41 pm:   

So, Oct. 1863 Lincoln gave his Thanksgiving Proclamation, that the last Thursday of Nov would be for Thanksgiving, etc.

Anyone know why that particular day was chosen? If there was any particular reason for the last Thursday of Nov?

Kage Baker
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 - 07:34 pm:   

Well, I know that it had to be Thursday so that Catholics (who used to have to abstain from eating meat on Fridays) could partake of turkey. Though I was under the impression that FDR was the one who made that particular call.

As for November-- well, I guess they decided it should be during the harvest season.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 01:34 am:   

I thought it was Lincoln who made the thanksgiving holiday, as a bit of National myth building, during the civil war... If my info is correct, the "roast turkey" recipie came from the Marine Core cook book, which got the recipie while the marines occupied Mexico city during the mexican american war -- There was no roasted turkey in New England during the supposed time of the first thanks giving. Turkey, yes. Roasted, stuffed turkey, no.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |