HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Brutarian Quarterly Announcement

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Brutarian Quarterly Announcement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gene Stewart
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:08 am:   

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --

BRUTARIAN QUARTERLY is now, as of 9 September 2004, defunct as a
professional entity and is reverting to its original self-published
amateur status. Fiction Editor and Art Director Gene Stewart will no
longer be associated with the publication.

The Summer 2004 issue is gravely in question.

Anyone who had a submission accepted for publication in a future issue
should consider any and all agreements null and void and are free to take
their work elsewhere.

The slush pile has been purged and no further correspondence will be
accepted. The web presence is gone, too.

Anyone who has not heard from BQ can assume their submissions are free to
be sent elsewhere.

Please remove BQ from all market listings.

Gene Stewart

Jayme Blaschke
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:43 pm:   

Brutarian's not dead yet. My query generated a quick response from Dom, the publication's owner, which I'm posting here with his permission:

Jayme Lynn Blaschke

I do hope Mr. Stewart is not spreading the rumor that we are defunct as we are not. Gene and I had creative differences that could not be resolved and so we had a parting of the ways. Brutarian will continue to publish until I am dead or in a permanent coma so not to worry.

In the interim, I hope that you will let everyone know that we are more than alive and kicking and still paying the highest rates in the biz aside from majors like Time, and Playboy and well, you know those publications with mega circulations.

If you get the chance could you get the message out to all these sites you frequent and let them know the situation. Or let me know where to go - no puns here, not now - and post the announcement.

Cheers,
Dominick

Gene Stewart
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:20 pm:   

Anyone who wants to chance believing him, be warned. I did once.

dominick salemi
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:49 pm:   

For some reason, my announcements concerning Mr. Stewart's misleading comments concerning were deleted from this site so I am once again attempting to clear up a few things.

1. Brutarian is, and will continue to publish. We pay professional rates and will continue to pay the announced rates.

2. The Summer issue will be combined with the Fall issue as a special double number and will be out sometime in early October. Confirmation of this may be had by contacting Morgan Printing at(701)352-0640.

3. All those who had material accepted for submission will have their work published in the next six months at the latest at the agreed upon fees. Any and all questions should be directed to brutarian@msn.com.

4. BQ should remain in the current market listings and publishers of said listings are invited to contact me at brutarian@msn.com.

5. Anyone interested in submitting material or artwork should send it via e-mail to brutarian@msn.com or to Dominick Salemi, 9405 Ulysses Court, Burke, VA 22015

Dominick Salemi
Brutarian Publisher
Est. 1991

EDatlow
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   

What are your rates?

Simon
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:02 pm:   

Last time I checked, they paid 5-10 cents a word.

EDatlow
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:15 pm:   

Oh. We pay 20 cents a word for originals.

Simon
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   

heh, you must be one of "those publications with mega circulations." :-P

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:26 pm:   

And Ellen comes in with a gentle *correction*...

Heh.

Gene
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:58 pm:   

Ellen's got class, is all.

Bob Urell
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:21 pm:   

Ack. Could you refrain from airing your dirty laundry in a public forum? Sour grapes, man. It ain't pretty. Go have a fistfight or a drinking/pissing contest. A real one, as opposed to the virtual one y'all are blessing us with just now.

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:56 am:   

Sometimes it's important to see the dirty laundry in public. Not to get into a pissing contest, but it can allow readers and submitters to get a more informed idea of what's going on with a publication. I don't know either of these two gentlemen, and it probably is just a spat that doesn't reflect on the Brutarian's overall stability.

That said, I don't think Jason (and I know I don't) have any set rules on what it means to "cross the line" on this messageboard. It's more of a "know it when you see it" kind of thing. And I don't think any line's been crossed here, yet.

As for a message deletion--I don't know anything about that. I didn't delete anything, but I haven't checked with Jason.

JeffV

JeremyT
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:54 am:   

Sometimes that preview before posting thing gets you and the message doesn't appear. That happened to me several times when I first started posting here.

Bob Urell
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:36 am:   

Yeah, that didn't sound right. Jason doesn't even delete my posts, and he's told me to shut the fuck up right to my face at least a dozen times. He's sweet like that.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   

It's truly amazing how much info (and yet how little) you get when you see postings on both sides of an argument.

As a writer (and ex-editor), I can see both sides, and it's tough to know what's really going on.

However, Dominick sent me a personal e-mail after I made a fairly innocuous comment earlier, and he was very respectful, even after another (again, innocuous) exchange of personal notes.

I've also been on the other side of the argument in question, and was treated quite fairly as well.

The only people that will have an actual say in this issue will be, when all is said and done, the writers who've been accepted by Brutarian at this point. They will be the ones to admire or admonish, as the case may be.

Until then, we should probably all realize (in our great and undeniable wisdom) that some crap happened and some garbage spilled and sometimes having first- or second-hand access to the fallout doesn't give any of us a right to decide the fate of anyone involved.

Correct me if I'm wrong. (Trust me, it's happened before...;p )

Oh, and JV--don't I still owe you a drink or something?

Bob Urell
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:03 am:   

I'm wondering, Mikal, if that was addressed to me. I've read through the thread, again, and I don't really see anyone "deciding the fate of anyone involved." I asked that they keep their personal tiffs to themselves, but they have every right to go on making jackasses of themselves if that's their thing. No judgement here....

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:36 am:   

Bob, if someone posted announcing the demise of a magazine you were editing, and said magazine was really alive and well as far as you're concerned, wouldn't you post to refute it? I don't think Dominick is making a jackass of himself at all. In fact he has responded rather graciously--and note that his first post here was actually not posted by him at all, but quoted by Jayme.

Bob Urell
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:55 am:   

Guess I should have qualified that, Nicholas. I really meant the first gentleman, Gene, was making a jackass of himself. The pluralization I blame on low sleep. The only problem I had with Dominick was the implication that some sort of censorship was practiced here, which I've never seen to be the case. My apologies to Dominick. You're not a jackass.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 09:47 am:   

I didn't delete it, so it's most likely that Dominick didn't hit submit on the preview page.

Mikal Trimm
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:52 am:   

Bob--

Actually, I wasn't thinking of any particular posts, just the whole situation, so no--that wasn't directed at you. ;)

dominick j salemi
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

Just a further note on the Brutarian situation as there still appears to be some confusion as to whether we are still publishing. The answer is yes, the new double issue is out and all contributors appearing in this issue are being paid the agreed upon rate. For more info, write to Dom at brutarian@msn.com

Gary Fry
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 05:38 am:   

I can vouch for that: I received Dominick's cheque and a copy of the mag yesterday, all as promised.

Gary Fry
'Single Hit', Brutarian 42

Jennifer Pelland
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 06:21 pm:   

Just so folks know, this isn't strictly true:

"3. All those who had material accepted for submission will have their work published in the next six months at the latest at the agreed upon fees. Any and all questions should be directed to brutarian@msn.com."

I and several other people who had received acceptance letters before the kerfuffle happened have since been told that our work will not be published.

Andrew Hook
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 11:38 pm:   

What's your turnaround time for subs, Dominick? I re-sent a story by email on 19th September to your email address, and I'm just wondering whether you guys are still reading.

Thanks!

dominick salemi
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   

Ms. Pelland is a bit misinformed here: "accepted for submission" means material I was given an opportunity to review. Jennifer was one of the unfortunate few who were told that by Mr. Stewart,and unbeknownst to me, that their work was accepted for publication in Brutarian. I'm not saying this was intentional on Mr. Stewart's part as he was wading through dozens and dozens of stories; still, Mr. Stewart was not my agent and had no power to bind me through any agreement he might make on what he thought was on behalf of myself and the magazine.

Jennifer Pelland
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 04:37 pm:   

While that may be true, that's not what you say here. The only public statements I've read from you all say the same thing: all acceptances will be honored. I really think you need to make an amended public statement to let people know that this is not strictly true. How is an author with an acceptance email to know if the acceptance was approved by you or not? The only way I know of is to contact you, but you're a very difficult man to reach.

I don't want this to come across as a case of sour grapes. Yes, I am extremely disappointed that I will not be appearing in Brutarian. It's a great publication. On top of which, this was my only sale of 2004, and it would have let me become a full member of SFWA. But I honestly would not be speaking out if I hadn't heard the same story from other people. Acceptances aren't all being honored. You really need to make a new public statement in as many forums possible so people know what the real situation is.

dominick salemi
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

Alright, Jennifer, let this be my lastest, bestest word on the matter. Now then, one doesn't have to be, or hire, a lawyer to know and understand that "acceptance" can only be so characterized when made by the person legally empowered to bind that person or that person's company. What you are essentially arguing is that Mr. Stewart merely had to say that your story would be appearing in Brutarian and that you could accept that on face value. Now isn't that rather silly? If Mr. Stewart had showed you a legally executed document in which I made him my agent, that would be one thing. I might even be more sympathetic if Mr. Stewart had told you he had spoken to me and I had agreed to publish your story. Even if the latter were the case, the smart thing to do would still have been to go to the source, me, and find out whether I did, indeed, accept your submission. The excuse that I am difficult to reach, does not relieve you of your obligation to ascertain the truth of the matter.

As for hearing "the same story from other people," you are being a bit disingenuous here. There was only one other person, beside yourself, whose work was not used in the most recent issue. This was the artist commissioned for the cover and his illustration lost to me when Mr. Stewart accidentally deleted the art from his computer just before I went to press. I did write to the illustrator and I did offer him the option of a kill fee or of creating another work, but he declined.

So again, to belabor the point, acceptances made by me, are being honored. That is what an acceptance for publication in Brutarian is, Jennifer: acceptance by Dominick Salemi. Not by Tom, Dick or Harriet, no matter what they may tell you about their authority to obligate the magazine. So, if in the future, you do get a thumbs-up e-mail from anyone, it might save you a great deal of emotional turmoil to ask, if you are not corresponding with the publisher/owner,just what position the person offering the acceptance, holds with the company.

piecesoeight
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 02:36 pm:   

Dominick:

You could at least express some sympathy for Jennifer in this situation. And, frankly, while under no obligation to keep that acceptance, it seems more like your irritation with your former colleague is what's guiding you in this than anything else. If you really wanted to be a shining light, you'd just take the two pieces accepted by the other guy and that'd be the end of the matter.

Regardless, it hardly seems as if the Brutarian is worth submitting to given all this turmoil.

8 8 8 8

Jennifer Pelland
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   

This is getting ridiculous.

1. I had an acceptance email from the editor of Brutarian stating that my story would be published. Every other email acceptance I've gotten from an editor has been binding. I was under the impression that your editor sent out all of the acceptance emails during his tenure, not you. Perhaps I was wrong in this, and he only sent out the acceptance emails on his own at the end, before he was fired. I have never had to ask any other editor for a legally executed document showing that they were their publisher's agent, and have never heard of such a thing being necessary. I will be sure to run this by the other editors I know to see if this is a standard practice that I am simply unaware of.

2. I am not being disingenuous. There are other people who, like me, were accepted for *future* issues of Brutarian, not the current one, and later were told by you that we were in fact not going to appear in any future issue, despite your public claims to the contrary.

3. You really need to fix your email filters so people can get email through to you. It took me 10 attempts, using three email addresses of mine, and two of yours, to get you my submission. People shouldn't have to try that hard to find out whether their acceptances really are valid.

Thank you, piecesoeight, for your support in this thread.

Anon
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 08:38 am:   

" . . . you are essentially arguing is that Mr. Stewart merely had to say that your story would be appearing in Brutarian and that you could accept that on face value. Now isn't that rather silly."

Yes, how silly. To think -- accepting an editor at his word!

chance
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 09:04 am:   

Well said, Jennifer.

Jeff VanderMeer
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:07 am:   

" . . . you are essentially arguing is that Mr. Stewart merely had to say that your story would be appearing in Brutarian and that you could accept that on face value. Now isn't that rather silly."

For the record, I guess I've been silly my whole professional life. Since for short stories and short nonfiction, all it has taken for the most part, is a letter or email of acceptance from an editor to be binding re an appearance in a magazine.

JeffV

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 10:17 am:   

Yup. The editor is usually the person who says yeah or nay to a submission. It's only not the case in very unusual circumstances.

Simon
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 11:37 am:   

Isn't that what an editor does? Accept stories? I doubt the publisher of The New Yorker butts in and tells its editors what it can or cannot accept.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |