HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

SF/F publication site for readers

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » SF/F publication site for readers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luc Reid
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

It was pointed out to me recently that while there are a variety of good resources for writers to find speculative fiction publications, there doesn't seem to be a lot in the way of listings for readers, the kind of thing you could go to with the question "What's to read?"

I've heard the argument that sites for writers have plenty of info for readers, but I've become pretty set in my opinion that writing sites are not great for readers.

So my thought is to set up a site listing all the pro spec fic publications out there (using a liberal definition of "pro" for now) and populating it by soliciting information from editors and readers. Featured information would be things like genres and subgenres, how often published, subscription pricing, Web sites, quotes from and/or links to reviews, brief and longer listings, etc. I'd be organizing and editing the information but not authoring it.

And of course the reader would be able to search: "What paper publications include hard SF?" "What fantasy magazines are 'kid-friendly'?" etc.

Fortunately I have the Web development chops to do this, so that's no worry.

So please feel invited to talk me out of or into this project, to offer advice, to argue that it's unnecessary, suggest ways of soliciting information, etc.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Thiel
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:17 am:   

It sounds good, Luc. Let everyone know when you've got it set up.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |