HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

I remember a story.....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » I remember a story..... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon Warren
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:21 am:   

During my time at secondary school, which was 1960 to 1966, I read a large number of short science fiction stories which were published in paperback books. I bought the books, very likely second hand so I don't know when they were published, but they were a numbered series, and I'm sure the title was just the letters SF and a number, eg. SF48.

I remember stories about "unconventional engineers" on a planet where sizes didn't add up in the usual way, so construction kits made elsewhere couldn't be put together, and another series with characters from several other worlds including a loveable chap shaped like a ball who had to continuously roll about to circulate his blood - he didn't have a heart to pump it...

Anyway, one particular story I vividly remember small parts of (after a career in telecoms) concerns a future (in 1960) earth where the inhabitants had learned to find out everything they needed to know by dialling an automatic telephone enquiry system. (Note - written before push-button phones!) At school the didn't learn facts, they learned only the numbers needed for every purpose. Apparently life was rosy until the phone system started to fail - they were getting more and more wrong numbers. The maintenance people dialled numbers to find out how to fix the system - they got wrong numbers too. I think civilisation collapsed.

Was the author clairvoyant? Could something very similar happen with the internet?

Anyway, I'd like to re-read it, if someone could tell me how to find it?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |