HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

New Market: Irregular Quarterly

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » New Market: Irregular Quarterly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jamie Rosen
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:09 pm:   

Irregular Quarterly
Submissions Guidelines

(current as of 01/24/04)

What: Irregular Quarterly will be just what its title says. But that isn't very useful, so more specifics: IQ is a paying 'zine (see below) that will be, at least at first, 32 pgs in length (8 8.5"x11" sheets folded in half.) I'll be interested in looking at any genre of fiction -- I'm concerned with quality, not category. No art, poetry, or nonfiction submissions for this first issue.

When: At most quarterly, but sometimes irregular (hence the name.) I hope to have the first issue out by the Ides of March. The reading period will begin now, and go until February 24th.

Who: I have over a dozen short story sales under my belt, plus I put in some time as a fiction editor for the Carleton Arts Review during its short-lived resurrection.

Payment: 2 contributors copies plus 5 dollars (Canadian.)

Length: Fiction, 2000 words or under.

Format: RTF or plain text. Nothing else. Period. Everything else is too big, and if you can write text you can manage one of those two file formats.

Address: iq_subs ( at) h0tmail ( dot) c0m (but replace the 0s with os)

Any questions? E-mail them to the above address, or post them here.

I'm happy to announce that Vol 1, #1 will be featuring a new story by DF Lewis, author of the acclaimed collection _Weirdmonger_ and editor of the even more acclaimed megazanthus _Nemonymous_.

des
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:01 am:   

Good luck with IQ, Jamie.
des

ps: 'Weirdmonger' book has not been acclaimed, it just *is*!

Jamie
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:37 am:   

I stand corrected. But I'm sure once I get my copy, that will change. :-)

Jamie
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:54 pm:   

This came up on another board, so I figure I should mention it here: I'll be happy to negotiate payment in something other than money. So if you want a particular Canadian item (such as chocolate bars, breakfast cereal, or stamps) instead, that will be an option should I accept your submission.

Jamie
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:21 pm:   

Let's see if I've got this coding down...

Here /image{IQ #1 front and back cover} is a (lower-quality) reproduction of what the front and back covers of Irregular Quarterly #1 shall look like.

Jamie
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   

Nope. Obviously, that didn't work.

This? cover

des
Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:40 pm:   

Looks great, Jamie. Stylish. Look forward to it.
des

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:43 am:   

Very nice, Jamie.

Jamie
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:10 pm:   

Thanks, Des and Jay. Let me tell you, public domain images can be a treasure for the aspiring young 'zine editor. :-)

Website and ordering information should be up (and contributor copies out) in the next couple of days.

Jamie
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:00 pm:   

Irregular Quarterly #1 is now available, featuring new short fiction from Jay Caselberg, Jon Fain, Jay Lake, DF Lewis, Michael Manis, Simon Owens, and Amy Sisson. Get'em while they're hot!

$4 US, $5 Canadian, postage included.

Irregular Quarterly is a paying 'zine, operating on a shoestring budget and printed on 8.5x11 paper folded in half (this may change in the near future.) A website is hopefully forthcoming, but I'm doing this all on my own.

We are also reopen to submissions from now until the end of May.

Bob Urell
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   

Good luck with that, Jamie. I admire your ambition.

Clarkesworld Books
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 10:41 am:   

Hi! Can't find your email address anywhere, so...

Send me email if you are interested in having us carry your zine in our store.

-Neil

Jamie
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 03:12 pm:   

Thanks, Bob.

Neil, I included the submission addres in the guidelines, but I wrote it out so that spambots wouldn't harvest it. I'll send you an e-mail tonight if I get the chance.

des
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:02 am:   

Hey, just this minute received the Premiere Issue of Irregular Quarterly! It immediately and wonderfully reminds me of the look and style of the late lamented UK mag 'Psychotrope': which I have gone on record before choosing as my all time favourite of this cutting-edge Small Press sort. I look forward to reading IQ.
des

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 07:10 am:   

Well, Des, I hope the contents solicit a similarly positive reaction from you!

That reminds me, I really need to get the website up.

Jamie
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:44 am:   

_Irregular Quarterly Promotion_

Thank you to all the people who've made the first issue of IQ a success. I'm down to my last three copies, and have decided to put on a special promotion to snag you stragglers who haven't caught on to the beauty that is Irregular Quarterly.

The first three orders I receive will receive, free of additional charge, a special, hand-written first draft of an original short-short by yours truly (that's a different story for every order.) These pieces will be signed, and are guaranteed not to appear in any other medium for at least nine months. Yours will be the first eyes aside from mine to see them.

This, of course, is in addition to the signed-and-numbered 'zine itself, which features stellar contributions from the likes of small press innovator DF Lewis, first novelist Jay Caselberg, and the ubiquitous Jay Lake, amongst others.

Send your orders to iq_subs ((at)) hotmail.com

And if you want a copy but get your order in too late, be sure to check out Clarkesworld Books (http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com), who currently have a small supply of IQs on hand.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |