HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Happy Birthday Everyone! The Discusi...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Happy Birthday Everyone! The Discusion Board is 1 year old! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:09 pm:   

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who have decided to hang out here at the Night Shade web site -- The Discussion Board's have been up for 1 year today, and seem to be going strong. Keep up the good work!

I'd like to share one of my favorite memories of this community.

Last April, the bombs started dropping in Iraq. Needless to say, everybody was on edge (to put it mildly). I watched many other online forms dissolve into wastelands of name-calling, bile and hatred.

Things got pretty tense here, but everybody who chose to participate here kept things very civil -- name-calling and flame wars were kept to a minimum.

There have been many great threads and conversations over the last year, but that experience, very early on in this community’s formation really helped define the kind of respect, and exchange of ideas that I think makes the Night Shade discussion board special.

Thanks everyone, and happy birthday. If you have the desire, use this thread to note some of your favorite memories from the first year.

-Jeremy Lassen

John Thiel
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:30 pm:   

My favorite memory is finding that F&SF had a forum up. It was very elating and I liked posting in at it.

Thomas R
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:24 pm:   

Yup. FSF having a forum is nice. Daltow and Baker's are neat too. Learned alot in general and I'm going to read Joyce's The Dead some time tonight so I can understand a few posts on one thread better. (I meant to read it years ago, but got distracted)

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:22 pm:   

Lucius' football threads -- and all the trash-talking and silliness and fun that have followed therefrom.

Thanks for giving providing a space for those most unlikely Venn overlaps of Writing and Football, Jeremy and Jason!

Cheers!

des
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:57 am:   

Jeff V's fiction collaborative threads -- and the discussion threads on Interstitiality.

Thanks again for allowing me to have a Board, in fact two Boards, one in my own name and another in the name of Nemo.

des in UK

Forrest
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:52 am:   

Mine are all repeats, but: Lucius' football threads were (and still are) a blast, the interstitiality threads were useful, and the House of 87 Cabinets has been a really wonderful undertaking and read.

ellen
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Thank you, Jeremy, for providing a comfortable forum for us all. And thank all you participants who make it fun to check in :-)

Vera Nazarian
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   

Thank you for this lovely board indeed! And happy birthday to it! :-)

Rhys
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:15 am:   

Yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

jonathan briggs
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 02:11 pm:   

Jeff VDM's top 60 fantasy list. I'm still working my way through it (there are some phenomenal reads there) and carrying the list around in my backpack, looking for the titles I'm missing.

Happy birthday.

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   

Happy birthday all. My favourite has to be Jeff's cabinet saga. Also Rhys's (I think) collaborative poem.

Luis
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:49 pm:   

It seemed only yestarday. Dammit, how time flies . . . Anyway, my favourite boards: Jeff V, Lucius Shepard, Timmi Duchamp and Rhys Hughes. But there was plenty of interesting stuff elsewhere too.

JV
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 05:57 am:   

When I first proposed these boards to Jason I never had any idea it would take off like this! I think I've gotten more satisfaction out of this project than any other. Thanks Jason and Jeremy for hosting it and building it!

I have to say, it's hard to choose a favorite. I think Lucius' football threads were close to the top, but I've enjoyed all of the discussions.

JeffV

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |