HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Who are these guys? Elastic and ENC.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Who are these guys? Elastic and ENC. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   

So, I'm planning my trip to England, and am talking wtih Conrad Williams to see if he will be in London at all while I am there, and low and behold, he will be there the day I arrive (Jan. 10th, for those who want to hook up with me – drop me an email). Apparently there is a book launch party at the Citte of York pub for an anthology called Alsiso.

Sounds fun. Never heard of Alsiso, or its publisher, Elastic Press (http://www.elasticpress.com/). So I bop on over to their website, and they seem to have a pretty interesting selection of books, and Alsiso features cover art by non other then K. J. Bishop. They are also mentioning this OTHER publisher, ENC Press http://www.encpress.com/) -- and they also have an intriguing selection.

Has anybody else heard of, or been following these presses? What should I get as a first sampling, other then Alsiso? Any hints appreciated.

-jl

Michael Kelly
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:07 am:   

Jeremy,

"Open the Box" is a good debut collection from Andrew Humphrey. All the stories are first-person narratives, and some of the endings are a tad rushed, but allin-all the book is well worth your time.

-Mike

Cheryl
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 09:19 am:   

The Alsiso thing certainly looks interesting. I don't know most of the contributors, but it has Kirsten and Justina Robson which is good enough for me.

I met several British small press people at FantasyCon last month (including Andrew Hook) and I'm in the process of trying to get to know their stuff. I'm sure you know about PS Publishing. Others you might want to investigate are:

Telos - http://www.telos.co.uk/
Alchemy - http://www.alchemypress.co.uk/
Tartarus - http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/users/tartarus/

Many of these people hang around the TTA message board.

Tamar
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:22 am:   

Elastic Press is one of the few UK presses devoted to the short story collection - a form which needs its champions! Four further single-author anthologies are scheduled for 2004, including Brian Howell's, which I for one am looking forward to.

D
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 07:42 am:   

Just a shameless plug for D-Press, a uk chapbook publisher which just brought out it's 5th chapbook. http://www.ookami.co.uk/html/d-press.html
The latest addition is 'Wakemares' a short story collection by Tim Johnson illustrated by Carole Humphreys.
I think chapbooks are a wonderful way to get work out and let the world know who you are without having to go the tenuous routes of self publishing, and I'm having tremendous fun being a chapbook editor!

Andrew Hook
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:15 pm:   

Hi Jeremy

hope you can get to the book launch in London on 10th Jan. It would be a neat introduction to quite a few UK indie-press writers who're likely to be present. The Alsiso Project would be a good place to start if you're thinking of buying something, as it includes stories from all the writers I've published to date plus those scheduled for 2004, so you could familiarise yourself with their prose styles (which was part of my intention with this unique anthology).

ENC Press also have a great selection. They're publishing my novel in May and are doing for novels what I am doing with short stories. I've read the new translation of Yevgheniy Zamyatin's WE and it rocks, plus publisher Olga Gardner Galvin's The Alphabet Challenge which is a seriously funny and astute book.

Andrew Hook
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:27 pm:   

Hi again Jeremy

good to see you in London on the 10th Jan, and glad to be part of the bizarre coincidence which meant you met up with Peter Lavery from TOR UK that day. Hope your trip was enjoyable/productive and that you enjoy your copy of The Alsiso Project!

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 07:05 am:   

Our most recent publication, Angel Road by Steven Savile, has just been published. Featuring a superb wraparound colour cover, three internal colour illustrations, and eleven stories, two poems, and two b&w line illustrations, this book is a steal at £6! Visit the Elastic Press website to take a look, and read an extract from the book here

In the States both Shocklines and Clarkesworld Books are stocking signed copies.

For any of you resident in Sweden, there's a Stockholm launch this Saturday 6th November. Details are on the Elastic discussion boards on the "Angel Road" thread which is accessible via the website

Andrew Hook
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   

Available to pre-order now from Elastic Press, the BFS online store, or Shocklines in the States is the 1st May release from Elastic Press: a collection of 16 stories from TTA regular Tim Lees entitled The Life To Come

Are you ready for The Life to Come? A life in which the gods are caged, a strange creature is born from starlight, aliens invade the living room and interplanetary detritus fills the Earth, while mankind endures its own small, personal dilemmas, painful and comical by turns. From Paris to Morocco to the English countryside, here are sixteen stories where reality and fantasy collide, dispatches from a world with only one clear certainty: that the life to come will be far stranger, more perverse and perilous than we could ever dream.

Everyday I thank God for Tim Lees – Andy Cox, The Third Alternative.

Tim Lees' compelling fiction beguiles and entertains in equal measures. Original, humane and darkly imaginative – Susanna Jones, author of The Earthquake Bird.

From The God House: Inside the halls, the gods were ranged like creatures in a zoo. Each filled its own domain the way that light fills up a room, extending to the furthest limits of confinement. Shields and barriers divided them, one from another, keeping each from the attentions of its neighbours; and visitors, from the attentions of them all.

From The Life to Come: Don’t talk about the future. Don’t even think of it. The more you think, the stronger it becomes, the more it pushes back towards us, gifts us with its rubble and detritus... It’s not even our future in any case. We all made sure of that. Or thought we did. We thought we did...

From Relics: A hundred years ago, or so the story went, a starship had come down here. Crashed, sunk, and never been recovered. Too far off the beaten track, too many better pickings elsewhere in the world. The thing was there, alright, I’d had my proof of that; exactly where, though – that was anybody’s guess.

Featuring stunning cover art by Richard Marchand, The Life to Come is 200pp for only £5.00. How do we do it at Elastic Press? We sell our souls to give you quality fiction! Please take a look!

The official launch will take place on Saturday the 30th April 2005 from 2pm at the Citte of York pub, 22 High Holborn, London, UK. More details will be posted nearer the time, but are likely to include a reading.

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 03:47 pm:   

Extended Play: The Elastic Book of Music

Edited by Gary Couzens

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

For most of us, music plays an important part of our lives. We use it as an art form, as a mood enhancer, as a way of remembering significant times in the past. Elastic Press is pleased to call for submissions for Extended Play, an anthology of short fiction in which music – any kind of music, or a particular piece or song – plays a vital part in the story.

Extended Play (EP) is also a term for a record that was longer than a single but shorter than an album. In story terms, this anthology will be showcasing stories that you could call long shorts or short novellas or novelettes. For this anthology we’re looking for stories in the range of 8000 to 15000 words. The greater length gives you greater scope for characterisation and depth of theme and complexity of plot, while still benefiting from the conciseness and focus of short fiction as opposed to a full-length novel. It does not mean a padded short story, or an underdeveloped novella. Writers who often work in this length range whose work I particularly admire include Elizabeth Hand, M. John Harrison, Ian R. MacLeod, Alice Munro, Joyce Carol Oates, Geoff Ryman and Lucius Shepard. That should give you some idea of my tastes, but I’m not asking you to copy any of them. In general, a strong authorial voice and some depth of characterisation will work more for me than a fast-moving plot written with little style and flat characterisation.

1. Stories should be written in English and be between 8000 and 15000 words. Any genre or theme or style will be considered. Originals only, though work previously published in another language will be considered. First English-language Anthology Rights will be bought.

2. Most important: authors are responsible for obtaining permission for, and paying for, reprinting copyright material such as song lyrics. In general, it’s probably best not to do this – instead you could make up your own lyrics or quote material that is in the public domain. Song titles are not copyrighted. If an author cannot clear rights, then Elastic Press reserve the right to edit the story or not to publish it.

3. Please submit only in hard copy and in standard manuscript format, though an electronic version will be asked for if the story is accepted. Any manuscript that is hard to read will be rejected unread.

4. Stories will be read anonymously, though those accepted will be published with author’s bylines. Please include your name and contact details on a title page, but not on any pages of the manuscript itself. This information will be removed by Elastic Press prior to sending me the story to read.

5. Please include either a self-addressed envelope with sufficient return postage (UK stamps or International Reply Coupons) or alternatively send a disposable manuscript with a valid email address.

6. Any story which is inappropriate will be returned as soon as possible. Stories which are being seriously considered will be held for further consideration. If you wish to know if your story is being held, please indicate on your covering letter and enclose a further SAE or provide an email address. No other correspondence will be entered into regarding the acceptance or rejection of stories and no comments on rejected stories can be guaranteed.

7. The deadline for submissions is 30th April 2006. At the moment, the likelihood is that payment will be one copy of the anthology only, although in the event that we are able to pay our contributors then the guidelines will be amended accordingly.

8. Elastic Press will publish Extended Play in late 2006/early 2007 and there will be a public launch at a date and venue to be advised.

9. If for any reason the anthology cannot be published, then stories and all rights to them will be returned to the authors.

10. In the meantime, feel free to buy any other Elastic Press books!

Submit all manuscripts to: Elastic Press, 85 Gertrude Road, Norwich, NR3 4SG, ENGLAND.

des
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 10:09 am:   

Stories will be read anonymously, though those accepted will be published with author’s bylines.

This has just been pointed out to me re the above submission guidelines.

Hey!.....

des

Andrew Hook
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 02:30 am:   

Elastic Press won two British Fantasy Awards this month. The first being for Best Small Press (beating 4 times winner PS Publishing, as well as many other worthy contenders), and also our book "The Alsiso Project" won in the Best Anthology category. In the States our books are available from Shocklines and Borderlands Books (in San Francisco), and The Alsiso Project is also carried by Clarkesworld Books. Check us out :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |