HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Internet Review of Science Fiction

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » The Internet Review of Science Fiction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

johnfrost
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 05:53 pm:   

I am pleased to announce that The Internet Review of Science Fiction is now accepting submissions of reviews, essays, criticism, interviews, and other feature articles. We are aiming for a first issue to appear in January, and monthly thereafter.

Please see our Guidelines for more specific information.

We pay $70 (minimum) per work on acceptance. There will eventually be a profit sharing plan for contributors, but that will be down the road a little, once there is some income.

John Frost, Editor

Cheryl
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 06:33 am:   

Sounds interesting. Care to tell us a bit more about yourselves than appears on the web site?

johnfrost
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 10:30 am:   

You mean as individuals? Or what IROSF is looking to do?

I am a long-time science fiction fan with an academic background in computer science. I have been working for a while, with my friend bluejack, on Quintamid, which aims to be a site of services for fans and authors, and we got talking about doing a publication *about* the field as well as services *for* the field. Once we got our market database up this fall, it seemed like it might be fun to balance out the tech work with something a little more intellectually stimulating. There are a number of good places for criticism, both on the web and by traditional print, but we didn't see anything on the web that was exclusively non-fiction, devoted to serious critical analysis, and open to unsolicited submissions. Strange Horizons does some great stuff, and a number of other webzines as well, but of course their bread-and-butter is fiction. The New York Review of Science Fiction is great, but it's not widely available, especially to people in other countries.

If you are Cheryl Morgan, your Emerald City is an excellent example of some of the content we would like to see, but since none of us are as talented or widely travelled as you, we knew early on this was going to have to be open to submissions.

As for the others on the team, M. Garcia is our resident expert in literary criticism (and fantasy literature); Joe is a physicist and science-fiction fan; bluejack does the web design (such as it is), and also most of the coding for it -- he's also a writer and reviewer; and Ms. Khadiz is a lunatic who keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously.

Hope this helps. The website will get more informative as we trundle along.

Cheryl
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 08:14 pm:   

Always happy to see more SF criticism stuff around. Obviously I can't do reviews for you - I don't have time to read any more books than I need to fill an Emcit, but I'd be interested in doing other stuff.

Any feeling for where on the serious scale you want? Whereabouts on a line between fanzine articles and academic journals?

johnfrost
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 11:31 pm:   

I think the 'serious scale' is something we will have to work with over time. Essentially, thought provoking stuff that is stimulating to the mind and maybe even the imagination is what we want. The style -- and I tend to think of academic work as being a style as much as anything -- is less important.

We don't want fluff. We are not looking for rambling accounts how of so-and-so looked in the masquerade or detailed accounts of the price of beer. We're not even looking for gossip from the SFWA party, although if that were to sneak in amidst something a little more substantial we wouldn't object.

The key thing is subtance. Insight. Stuff that will give readers something new to ponder, provoke some new way of seeing your theme.

To (finally) address your question, there are plenty of fanzine articles that we would be happy to publish, and also plenty of academic papers. Just as many fanzine articles wouldn't fit the bill at all, nor many academic papers.

Zack
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:24 pm:   

Turgid egg-heads with no Soul.

Bob Urell
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:43 pm:   

What, like...David Soul? You really think that's relevant? Cuz I don't think he's ever really been a SF sorta guy....

bluejack
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

He he. I'd almost like to make a tee-shirt with that on it. Can I quote you Zack?

Blunt Jackson
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   

Wow. It's been well over a year since I posted here, and now they require registration!!

And yet, the Internet Review of Science Fiction is still publishing. Our February issue is out now. (irosf.com).

Word is still out on whether we have soul.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |