HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine Needs You! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Borneman
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 07:35 am:   

The Speculative Fiction Pulp Revolution needs you!

Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, self billed as "Australia's Pulpiest," has defied all critics and is preparing to publish their 10th issue after only a year and a half of life. Each issue, published bi-monthy, contains over 30,000 words of speculative fiction, covering all aspects of SF and fantasy, but heavily leaning towards the "rippin' good yarns." And while humor is a prime ingredient, ASIM's stories cover the complete range, from humorous joke stories to serious and poignant tales.

ASIM is a magazine that has, I feel, published a higher percentage of new authors than most other magazines in this genre. Additionally, they publish authors from all around the English speaking world. Many of these authors are known to the members of this list and include; Sarah Prineas, Ruth Nestvold, Mikal Trimm, Marsha Sisolak, Greg Beatty, and Bruce Boston (to name only a few).

Because of its editorial bent, Andromeda Spaceways may not be a prime contender for the top speculative fiction awards, but they do publish stories that are fun to read, by authors who know how to put one sentence in front of another.

Additionally, ASIM is becoming very well know for its world class cover art by Les Peterson as well as interviews with the likes of Miranda Otto (Eowyn in the LOTR movie), Brian Herbert (son of Frank) and Cecilia Dart-Thornton.

As a side note, ASIM has set the standard among semi-pro magazines for its innovative method of handling the submission 'slush' process. They developed a slush reading method which removes the author's name, and therefore any pre-conceptions by the slush reader regarding the author's past accomplishments. They also decided early on to send rejected authors, the comments made by its slush readers.

But with all this success, the outlook for this innovative magazine is not certain.

ASIM has committed itself to three goals. Goals which are different than many other start-up magazines.

One, to publish 134 pages of fiction, interviews, poetry, and book reviews--heavy on the fiction.

Two, to publish stories that lean more towards 'fun' than 'literature.'

Three, to publish six issues per year.

The staff feels that these three goals makes ASIM unique and gives the subscriber the greatest value for their fiction dollar.

To help themselves, the ASIM team sends review copies to all the major fiction reviewers, has been approaching bookstores and libraries carry copies, in addition to many other self promotion ideas.

But it is a tough road financially and the future, while bright in many aspects, is very dependant on getting more subscriptions.

I am not asking for donations (although only a fool would turn one down <grin>). Also, ASIM is not asking for anything it doesn't earn through quality and consistency.

What I am asking for is that you strongly consider purchasing one copy and read it cover to cover. Then pass it on to a friend. If you enjoy that issue, then please consider buying a years subscription. If after a year is over, and you are still happy, please consider renewing your subscription.

And, of course, if you choose to not subscribe, please feel free to write me and let me know what ASIM could do to meet your expectations, or where it let you down. Also, write me with any ideas you may have that could help ASIM to reach more of the fiction buying public.

Each issue is better than the last, and we know we can still improve. Your input and support is critical to helping this excellent magazine survive.

If you live in the US, you may buy single issues through Clarkesworld Books at http://clarkesworld.com/books/asim_mag.html.

For single issues purchases (if you live outside the US), or for subscriptions (no matter where you live) go to the Andromeda Spaceways web site at; http://www.andromedaspaceways.com/

Thanks for listening.

John Borneman
ASIM US Liason
john_borneman @ yahoo.com

Charlie Finlay
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:34 pm:   

John: A much more compelling message for most of us readers would be "You need Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine!"

If you could get that across in a couple sentences, it would probably do more to help subscriptions.

John Borneman
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 05:40 pm:   

Charlie - Thanks for the advice! ;-)

Actually, this letter, sent to several venues, garnered an interesting mixture of responses.

Some read far too much into it and wrote the editors asking if ASIM was folding. Which goes to prove how much certain people enjoy stirring up controversy. My point was that ASIM is a small press magazine and like most small press magazines, money is and will most likely always be an issue.

Some read it for what it was. Merely a "Hey! We're out here. Give us a shot. You'll you'll be glad you did" type of letter.

But the bottom line is that nowhere else will both readers and authors find a magazine that publishes fiction which strives for nothing more than to entertain.

My message is simple. Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine. Six times a year. Over 30,000 words of good fiction per issue. Great artwork. It fits extremely well in briefcases, purses, back pockets, and on end tables.

Try it. It's good. Real good.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |