HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

'zine debut TRUNK STORIES

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » 'zine debut TRUNK STORIES « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

WilliamSmith
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 07:22 pm:   

The first issue of my horror/fantasy 'zine TRUNK STORIES just came back from the printer. Yay!

Iíve given birth to a box of tightly folded little 44 page booklets. Iím so proud. Even the flawed copies with the rolled spines and smudged covers are my children. Iíll lock THEM in the attic but you should check out the rest of my perfect little babies. Iíve got contributions from Brett Savory, Veronica Schanoes (who is all over the interstitial lists here), Erik Johnson (who has appeared in The Absinthe Literary Review, and has an upcoming story in FarSector SFFH) and some great new voices.

Itís available from ProjectPulp.com (my own website is TK) and my submission guidelines are up on Ralan.com under SF for the Luv.

Sold a few copies at World Fantasy. Has anyone had a look yet? I love to hear reactions/advice/criticism/tips.

Regards,
William Smith

Minz
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:03 pm:   

I look forward to snagging a copy

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 01:26 pm:   

Well Mr. Minz if you can truck yourself up to 46th and 6th tomorrow around lunch time, you might be able to get one!

JK

William Smith
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 02:08 pm:   

Yeah I can bring extras. We just can't get our Vindaloos all over 'em.

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 06:05 pm:   

I bought a copy at WFC from the Small Beer table at Kelly's suggestion. Haven't read it yet but will let you know any thoughts once I do.

William Smith
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 06:58 pm:   

Thanks Gabriel. Did Gavin hold your arms while Kelly grabbed your wallet? Good People.

Please let me know what you think.

Will

William Smith
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   

Trunk Stories has a website.

It's at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~trunkstories/

I bought TrunkStories.com but I don't think the forwarding has kicked in. Not a lot of content yet. The site is mostly a repository for my guidelines, email, and a paypal button but I hope to make it a little deeper when I learn something about site design.

Thanks due to Margaret Crocker for her webmistressing services.

Mike Simanoff
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:04 pm:   

It's a start, though! Congrats, William.

Mike

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   

Really enjoyed the Bothum and the Savory stories. Kudos, Will, to you and your contributors.

Best of luck,
Jim

William Smith
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 07:40 am:   

Mark Bothum's story has been a real crowd pleaser. It reminded me of this song on the Harry Smith anthology (Drunkard's Special by Coley Jones I think? Don't have it with me.) about a man who keeps coming home drunk and finding signs of another man in his house. His wife makes increasingly absurd excuses culminating with "That's not another man's head on your pillow. It's a cabbage."

I don't suppose anyone knows where to find Mark? I need to give him his contributor copies and I think the e-mail I have is out of date.

And Brett's story is great. Stark and eerie document of a schizophrenic breakdown (says I, anyway).

Did you like the illustrations? I think Tim did a killer job.

Did you see who's #1 on Project Pulp? Oh yeah!

Minz
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

I _loved_ the illustrations, and think that your contents page belongs alongside the best looking pages in THE THACKERY T. LAMBSHEAD POCKETGUIDE TO ECCENTRIC AND DISCREDITED DISEASES.

William Smith
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

gosh. I'm blushing...really.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:51 am:   

Well, well, well Mr. Smith. I read TRUNK STORIES on the way to work this morning. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I will second what others have said here and say that the Bothum and Savory stood out to me, but I must admit that the Kaschock was my favorite piece in the book. It was very unsettling and creepy and each bit of the story was peeled back bit by bit. Good work. Any ideas on when #2 will see the light of day?

JK

Will
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 02:57 pm:   

Thanks Mr. Klima. Alway good to get props from a veteran. I'm well along with ish 2. It will probably be longer, _slightly_ more polished looking, and I'm thinking of doing a limited edition with a special centerfold.

I'm aiming for mid to late summer. One of these times I will adhere to a regular schedule but right now that is a distant goal.

Neddal
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   

Will,
There's a very positive review of TS #1 in the newest issue of Broken Pencil (#25) "Well laid out, witha a collection of truly disturbing fiction, sharp indie reviews, playfully effective pen and ink illustrations, and a few anecdotal takes on other works of curiosity, Trunk Stories holds a wealth of fractured treasures that is at turns poignant, horrific, or downright deranged..."

Cheers,
-N

Will
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

Thanks for the heads up. I'll order a copy right now.

Will

friendly neighborhood surfer
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   

http://www.sfsite.com/04b/tr198.htm

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 09:11 am:   

Does TRUNK STORIES not have its own message board yet? My copy of Issue #3 arrived today and I was looking for a message board but all I could find was Baby Secret.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |