HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

The Tyranny of Paper

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » The Tyranny of Paper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnny Messenger
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:06 pm:   

What shall we do about this tyrrany of paper that civilization seems unwilling to overthrow? Even though we have perfectly good web sites and access, and can read fiction off of the screen, we still restrict ourselves to the confines of the PRINTED page for the most part. I cannot understand this inexplicable attitude, which would be more cogent coming only from those of us who are above the age of 70. Yet you see it everywhere--the tyrrany of paper over the PURE LIGHT of the internet. Surely people who post to messageboards like furious rats gnawing at the PURE LIGHT will side with me on this one?

jeff ford
Posted on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 11:33 pm:   

Johnny: Now there can be no doubt; your moral and intellectual superiority are evident to all. I applaud your conviction and your anonymity. And to think, you would deign to join the rats. A veritable Zarathustra for the 21st century. Most laudable.

Best,

Jeff

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:22 pm:   

My eyes rebel!

That is the answer. I can quite happily sit or stand or lay down or curl up with a good book, or a bad book, or even just a stack of papers with words on them, and I can amuse myself for hours and hours on end.

I hate staring at the computer screen. I like message boards because I can read a couple posts, shoot off an answer, and then put the computer aside.

Reading an e-book, or even a story online, is difficult. I can't maintain interest in a computer screen for that long. I can't get as comfortable in front of a computer screen. When I'm reading from a computer screen, my hands long for the feel of the paper, and my nose for its smell.

Um. . . yeah

John Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 08:57 am:   

Mighty hip outlook, Johnny.

Iron James
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 08:37 am:   

Guess I'm a paper tyrant. I read many stories found on the internet, but I always print them out first.

Neal Stanifer
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:09 pm:   

Tyrant here, too.

Ever try whacking your dog with a rolled-up laptop? Reclining full length in a hot tub while reading a website? Stuffing a well-worn PC into your hip pocket? Closing your eyes and taking a long, delicious sniff of an old familiar monitor?

No, you haven't.

And here's the kicker. Libraries smell like books. They have that "library smell," something you just can't bottle or even adequately describe. It isn't paper and glue and the rare bit of aging leather. It's something else entirely, something whose material reality is swallowed up in the affective weight of books, books, books. Even a magazine has its own smell, its own heft, a certain flitter and shish when the pages are turned.

Rooms full of computer users, on the other hand, usually smell and sound very much like dullards with B.O. skimming along the bottom of an intellectual wasteland.

Jeffrey Owens
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:17 am:   

Yet every time Stephen King writes a novel, somewhere in the world, a forest dies. The word for world may be forest; but the word for deforestation is Stephen King.

Jeffrey

Juan
Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:21 am:   

I can't stand reading on the screen, it burns my eyes. Plus, my internet connection crashes on me on a daily basis... so I say keep up with the paper or recycled paper.

nealasher
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 07:43 am:   

I stuck this down at the bottom of 'general discussions', but it probably won't be seen down there. I'll try it here -- it can always be ignored. I have a very specific question for chemistry buffs out there. If you mix chlorine gas and methane, then shine a bright white light on them, you get an effect called photochlorination, the result being a big bang. Would this work at exceedingly low temperatures i.e. with methane being liquid (-162C) and the chlorine (I believe) being solid at that temperature?

Retch
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   

gag

Cornelius Kappabani
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 06:32 am:   

Bless the Paper!
What a horror reading a good chilling story like 'Burn, Witch Burn' or 'Cunjure Wife' and then the power goes down. Yeah, this is cool!
Real entertainment.
I wont argue that books got a cultural history - the web has it also, it's just a modern history but as a friend of mine once said: "I read paper!"
Why not eat only pills instead of 'real' food?
Well, I guess the answer is the same - its just more satisfing!
And besides, I only use the Net to toss informations to-and-fro or for communication. PC's are only tools and I wont spent my spare time looking at a driller.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |