HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Fat-Ass-B-Gone

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » General » Fat-Ass-B-Gone « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:09 pm:   

So I'm chatting with VanderMeer, and he tells me about this diet he's on. And I'm thinking, hell, I gotta do something, because becoming a full-time publisher has turned me into a giant bloated full-time publisher. But I've got a bad history with backsliding. So I figure I'm just going to toss it out here to the world, because maybe then I won't be able to back out of it.

So here goes. I will now begin the attempt at humiliating myself into losing some married-belly.

Day 1 - 269 lbs.

Jason

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:11 pm:   

Hmm, perhaps I shall join you. We can run it like Jasper's novel dare, but not have daily updates of course.

Day 1 - 295 lbs.

JK

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:34 pm:   

I'm in. Good motivation for getting trim for my wedding.

Day 1 - 270 lbs. (though that's down from 285 in May, thanks to Balinese food poisoning)

that other Jason

JV
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:02 pm:   

I'm in, too. I'm doing the Atkins diet, just for the record. It's a good excuse to get rid of sugar and other impurities from my system.

Day 1 - 257 lbs.

JeffV

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:26 pm:   

My father, and my brother have both been on the Atkin's Diet, and swear by it -- they both have lost a substantial amount of weight. Good luck you guys. I'm not sure I'm ready to publicly humiliate myself by "outing" my current weight, but I applaud your guy's efforts and resolve.

-jl

Minz
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:26 pm:   

Perhaps I'll jump in _after_ Worldcon . . .

JV
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:35 pm:   

Day 1, minute 14 - 256.9 lbs.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   

Good thinking Minz, especially since I'm hitting Montreal first...oh well, I said I'm in, I'm in. If I go up, I'll just have to bring it back down.

JK

Bob
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:00 am:   

Hell, I'm in. I'm nothing if not a groupie....
I'm not really on a diet, but I work a production job and have lost four inches off my waist since last month.
Day 1 - 260

minz
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 06:45 am:   

It's times like these when I yearn for the days when I used to work for living, i.e. construction--actually, it was de(con)struction.
Taking a sledgehammer to the state capitol did wonders for both the waistline and the psyche . . .

Rhys
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 07:48 am:   

Sorry I can't think in 'lbs'... 269 lbs means nothing to me.

What's that in stones or kilograms?

Then I'll know if you are fatter than me...

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 07:57 am:   

At 290 pounds, I am a little over 130 kilograms. (actually weighed myself this morning) Someone who weighs 269 pounds would weigh a little more than 120 kilograms. I've rounded up and down where I saw fit.

In stones, 290 pounds is something like 20.7 stone. 269 is 19.2 stone or something along those lines. (with 14 pounds to a stone)

This is where I got my info:

http://users.tcworks.net/~health/convert.htm

JK

Brendan
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:24 am:   

There are 2.205 pounds in a kilogram.

I will not say how much I weigh since it is an absurdly small number.

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:40 am:   

Okay, i'll play, but i'm already ahead of the game.

I have a weight limit of 170 lbs. Anytime I get over that, it's diet time. I know 170 doesn't sound like a lot, but, i'm kind of a short dude.

Monday, August 11th, Day 1 - 171.5 lbs
Thursday August 21st, Day 10 - 163.0 lbs.

This is the Atkins Diet, btw.

Lucius
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:56 am:   

Hey, Girls...

why don't we all go shopping together. I hear that takes your mind off food.

:-)

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:58 am:   

Shopping makes my knees hurt, hence the need to drop some tonnage.

Molly
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:11 am:   

All right, I'll join in the spousal diet plan. Ms. Nightshade is at 225 (about 16 stone). Going from a theater job to a desk job means a bit less in the way off junk food at all hours, but a lot more snacking.

J's going to use gerbil machines and lift, I think I'll try stopping off for a swim on the way home.

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:35 am:   

I'm in, but I also I started a few days ago. I'm 175 lbs, hoping to get down to between 160 and 165 lbs. It's sort of a modified Atkins -- I don't follow the actual diet but cut off starches and sweets and generally reduce my caloric intake. I can usually stay on a diet without trouble and lose weight very quickly. The problem, of course, is keeping it off.

Jonathan Brandt
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

Sorry to wax serious for a moment, but

I'm into week 7 of Atkins, and endorse it with two caveats:

1) read the book. The diet is more detailed, but allows for more variety, than the street perception of it.

2) get some "before" bloodwork so you can baseline your cholesterol and tri-glycerides After several weeks, you can get a true medical picture of your progress.

I started because my wife went on it (so If I didn't I'd gain 50 lbs due to what's in my fridge right now). I've lost 13 lbs, but the bigger change is in how well I sleep, the fact I no longer "crash" in the afternoons, and the fact that I no longer get "crazy hungry".

Best of luck.

Jason Erik Lundberg
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:52 pm:   

I was actually on the Atkins diet a little over a year ago and lost twenty pounds relatively quickly. I was also working out at the time. But after about a month, I absolutely craved bread, and I have very little willpower. It doesn't help that I live alone. Maybe once my fiancee finally gets here from Singapore, I'll have someone to motivate me.

I was also doing yoga quite a bit, which helps not only to reduce your waistline, but increase stamina and flexibility. Needless to say, Janet appreciated the yoga too. I really need to start doing it again.

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 01:08 pm:   

Yeah, it's hard to give up bread. There is a guy who makes a low-carb variety (i'll post or send a link if anyone's interested). He makes Bagles, rolls, and bread loaves. I've not tried it yet, so I don't know what it tastes like.

Also, I just found you can deduct the fiber carbs and the sugar alcohol carbs. With that in mind, might check out the cookies for diabetics.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 07:22 pm:   

Atkins is good because you can still drink Scotch. I miss wine more than bread, though.

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 07:36 pm:   

You can't drink wine??? Sheez. Well, I guess that's why I follow my "modified" Atkins diet. There's no way I'm doing a diet where I can't drink wine. Even if I can drink Scotch.

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:42 am:   

Ah, the backberry wine stays in the fridge for now. The rum, however...

Andreas Black
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:15 am:   

Eh, that's blackberry wine.

Chris Roberson
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:29 pm:   

I'm late to the discussion, but wanted to weigh in, if you'll excuse the horrible pun. I've been a member of the Atkins cult for a year this coming September, and am down a solid 40 lbs, which I took off and kept off with a minimum of work. I've got more energy now, sleep better, and no longer have any of the "digestive" issues (indigestion and the like) that have plagued me for years. And contrary to what some others have experienced, I've not found giving up bread to be that difficult. Giving up donuts, though. THAT was hard.

You *can* drink red wine on Atkins, though, in moderation. For me, that means a bottle at a go, but moderation nonetheless.

You want to see a real Atkins success story, though, take a look at Cory Doctorow. That cat is a RAIL after a year in the cult.

Nathan Ballingrud
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:06 pm:   

All right, after reading this, and doing a little research online, I've decided to follow the Atkins program as well. (This really is starting to sound like a cult.) I'm starting off at 245 lbs.

JV
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

Started Monday at around 257 lbs. Now, Saturday, I'm at around 249 lbs. I've worked out for half an hour every day except Friday, in the morning. And then played two hours of racquetball three times this week at night. I plan to keep the exercise schedule as-is for now and see what happens. I think I'm converting some of that weight into muscle mass, but who knows.

I have to say, though--so far, in this first week at least, the diet has really disrupted my racquetball game. I feel like I have no strength in my legs.

JeffV

Neal Stanifer
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 09:03 am:   

Just a note of encouragement from a non-dieter. I was recently in California, and I spoke with a nurse who brought up the subject of the Atkins diet. She has been following it for some time, and she said it gets easier to stick to the diet, the longer you're on it. She also said she dropped about fifty pounds when she began the diet, and has kept it off successfully. The most impressive benefit for her, however, was the improved quality of her sleep. She reported having more energy during her waking hours than she has had since her early twenties. Best of luck, people.

JV
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:08 am:   

Day 11 - down to 244 pounds from 257.

JeffV

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:47 am:   

That's a lot. I'm down to 171 from 175 after a couple of weeks.

GabrielM
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:47 am:   

I meant, of course, that's a lot of weight loss, not a lot of weight!!

Deborah
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 08:58 am:   

Jeff -- That's great!

I started to wish all you guys well a few times here, but then, I got to thinking about how when I've tried to quit smoking nothing pisses me off more than well-wishers, you know? But, what the hell, here's some well-wishing for all you guys...

:-)

Deborah

JV
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:26 am:   

Oh, it's a lot of weight. It's ridiculous. I was under 200 before 1995-96. I blame Clarion East in 1992 for beginning the cellular plot to eventually smother me in fat.

Time to return to the good old days.

Thanks, Deborah.

Jeff

Andreas Black
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   

Day 17, 159 lbs. 19 more pounds to go!

Oh, and I took a cheat meal on friday.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:23 pm:   

Day 8 - 264 lbs, down from 269 lbs. Slow.

Jorge
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 09:44 am:   

I love SI!

100 kg looks a lot slimmer than 220 ponds!

;)

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:13 am:   

Re: Atkins Diet. Yes, it works. My dad was on it and lost a tremendous amount of weight, and was very pleased with himself for that. But it's not healthy. You'll definitely want to supplement your carb-free diet with vitamins and probably some stool softeners and other such. In addition to that, it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to eat as a family if a person won't eat bread, pasta, fruit, and so forth, and tempers do flare.

As for myself . . . I used to be fat. By the time I was 13 I was 180 pounds, by 16 up to 195, and now at 20 (Happy Birthday to me) I'm holding steady at about 178-180, and have been for about 18 months.

The biggest change I made in my diet was cutting out caffeinated beverages. I've never been a coffee drinker, but I drank a huge amount of tea and a tremendous number of sodas. Then I stopped, dealt with the aches and caffeine headaches for a couple weeks, and now I no longer long for caffeinated drinks. Also, I eat less red meat and fewer fried foods than I used to.

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:28 pm:   

>>Day 8 - 264 lbs, down from 269 lbs. Slow.

Slow is good. Slower you lose the less chance of gaining it all back quickly

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 05:20 am:   

It's a new month, so I figured it's time to check in.

As of July 1st, I was 282. As of about 10 minutes ago, I'm 260. My goal is to hit 240 or there abouts by WFC. 240 should be a solid weight for me, as when I was lifting heavy a few years ago I was about 245 and 16% body fat. I can diet all year long, but at the end of the day I'm going to be a big boy. I'm 6'3" and my mother's family are all vikings, so there's not too much I can do about it :-)

How goes for everyone else?

Jason

JV
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 07:13 am:   

Day 14 - 242 lbs. I'm close to Jason's ideal weight, but I'm 5' 11", so...

Gabriel--yes, you're right. But what I've shed is weight I gained in the last year, quickly. So I'm not too concerned about being able to keep it off, especially since I'm doing a rigorous 45-minute workout every day in the morning, in addition to racquetball. The fact is, this is a lifestyle change for the rest of my life. If it isn't, no slow or fast weight loss will mean anything at all.

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 05:54 am:   

After ten days of eating out three meals a day (in Montreal: crepes, buttery stuff, and cheese; and Toronto: beef, fried things) I got on to the scale with trepidation this morning.

I weighed 290 pounds. Nothing lost but more importantly, nothing gained. I didn't snack between meals, and I probably walked three to five miles a day.

Back in normal life, let's see what I can get done by World Fantasy.

JK

minz
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 12:47 pm:   

Time to take the plunge:
Day 1:
258 pounds
roughly 117kg for the non-Americans--just when is Bush gonna finish assimilating the rest of the world so we can drop these double-standards (he said with tongue firmly planted in cheek)

And a hearty goodonya, Jeff.

LeslieWhat
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 02:48 pm:   

Is it time yet to post a What! Lunch? Enterprises Atkins-style recipe?

Carmelized Onion and Rosemary Pine Nut Tart:

for the crust:

-about 1 1/2 cup prepared almost meal or if you want to get fancy, finely ground hazlenuts.
-about 1/2 stick unsalted butter
-about 1/4 cup soy flour or if you spent your retirement savings on Atkins baking mix, you could probably use that
-about 1/8 cup cheap Parmesan cheese
-salt and pepper to taste, i.e. lots

Directions: Mix all ingredients into a ball. Add a teaspoon of water if you must. Smoosh ball into bottom of greased 8-10 inch Springform pan and bake in preheated 350 deagree oven while you prepare the filling (for up to 20 minutes. Ish. (To smoosh you can slip you hand into a Baggie and press the crust evenly into the pan.)

Innards Ingredients:

-about 2-3 eggs
-about 2 teaspoons crumbled fresh rosemary or dried--but you might need a bit more of the dried
-about 2 medium Walla Walla Onions, or second best Vidalias, or 3rd best buy the Chilean sweet onions
-about 1/2 cup pine nuts
-salt and pepper to taste
-2 tblsp butter or olive oil for frying

Directions: Heat oil or butter in medium fry pan. Slice onions into thin rings. Fry until they are caramel brown and sticky soft and perfect. Add pine nuts, rosemary, and stir. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Break eggs into small bowl and whip them into a frenzy (you don't really need to whip them into a frenzy--it just sounds more fun that way). When pan is cool, stir in eggs (or if pan is hot but onions are cool, stir onions into eggs).

Remove crust from oven and add filling. Bake until golden brown, about 1/2 an hour. Relatively low carb with amazing flavor that works swell for people who can't figure out what the fuck to eat for breakfast, or as an appetizer.

Maureen McHugh
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 05:16 am:   

I have has this dish. I wasn't on Adkins or any other diet at the time Leslie invented it and made it but I'd have happily eaten it again and again.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:38 am:   

Day ??? - 257 lbs. I now weigh what VanderMeer weighed when he started.

Jason

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

End of third week--I'm at 237 lbs, 20 pounds lost in 3 weeks. I wasn't shooting for that much, it just happened. I've upped my bike work-out to a range from 45 minutes to 70 minutes in the morning and 30 every night, and this seems to have aided in the weight loss. It is also giving me a lot more stamina. Burning about 500 calories on the bike every morning.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   

End of fourth week--I'm at 232/233 lbs. I deliberately added 5 grams of carbs a day and intensified workouts so as to slow weight loss by building muscle mass. This way I figure it will not come back as easily. Workouts continue to consist of 45 minutes to 70 minutes on the stationary bike 6 times a week, in the mornings (sometimes, a second session at night). I've stepped up the racquetball to 2 hours of singles three times a week, rather than 2 hours of cut-throat with good results.

I've also added 30 minutes of free weight workout three to four times a week.

I feel like a fucking God, to be honest, in terms of my energy level, although I know I've got a ways to go on the weight.

Jeff

Mike S.
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 03:50 pm:   

I might try this diet just to feel like a fucking god.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:55 pm:   

You guys need to give some of that lost weight. I feel like a toothpick against y'all, at 130 pounds.

Sean

Brendan
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   

Dont feel bad Sean, I only have two or three pounds on you. Personally though, if I were given the extra poundage expounded here, I would offer it on hot coals to the gods . . . Or maybe we should set up a weight gain thread and talk about how many yams we eat a day etc.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:18 pm:   

Brendan,

If I played racquetball like I used to, I probably would be closer to one twenty, which is what I was for most of college and later on. The secret to maintaining one's weight is skipping meals, I suppose. Food costs money, which is valuable publishing money. We can't have that, no, no, no.

I can rest easy knowing that I can at least run circles around VanderMeer and any others who play racquetball.

Sean

JV
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:53 pm:   

Sean:

I consider that a serious challenge. I'll find a court in Washington D.C. for WF Con and I will not only kick your ass, I will also run circles around you.

Throw down, double dog dare.

Jeff

Brendan
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:46 pm:   

I wish I could get a ticket to the event...

Sean Wallace
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:25 pm:   

Jeff,

I'm smaller, younger, and nimble (and good looking). You wouldn't last five seconds on the court.

Sean

JeffV
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:43 pm:   

Oh, man. Make that a triple frog dare. I'd kick yer ass clear out of D.C. You'd be somewhere in Kansas mumbling "Dorothy, are we there yet."

JV

Forrest
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:34 pm:   

This I must see.

Forrest

JV
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:46 pm:   

Am I the only one still on a diet from the original folks who signed on?

Anyway, down to 230 lbs, but I've also gained muscle mass, and I'm wearing clothes I used to only be able to wear at 220, so I think it's still working.

Jeff

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:48 pm:   

I'm still on. But I haven't lost more, I'm still holding steady at 170.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:41 pm:   

Still at 290. Not gaining weight, not losing it.

JK

Minz
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:11 am:   

I'm at 252--but I haven't started in earnest yet: I need to get in to my doc for the initial physical/bloodwork before I start Atkinsin' my gut on outtahere (and the Atkins book is on order, but not yet arrived). I am trying to cut down on the sweets already (I am a major bread/pasta/wine lover, but in truth it's the sweets that're gonna be the toughest.)

John Joseph Adams
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:45 am:   

If any of you guys need inspiration, this story might help.

I've been on a diet since the last week of October. I've lost over 140 lbs; I'm down to 217 (yes, I was huge, but I'm still losing).

I used the LA Weight Loss program (which is like a weight loss center you visit every week to weigh in). It's pretty expensive, but it's easy to stay on and there's no drugs involved or anything. Since you have to pay up front for your membership, you're kind of forced to stay on the diet (or else you'll just be pissing your money away); so between that and having to step on the scale each week, there's a system in place that holds you accountable for your dieting actions.

Some people won't need that kind of structure, but I found it invaluable--without a rigid system like this in place, I found it very hard to lose, so I was grateful for it.

Some of their advertising is really obnoxious (which they play on an unending loop in the lobby when you go for your visits), and I think they rip you off with their prices, but it definitely does work.

Good luck to all you guys who are sticking to your own plans.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 05:44 pm:   

Down to 225 lbs.

Jeff

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 05:59 am:   

Well, down to 285. Not very much, not very quickly, but going down.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 05:59 am:   

BTW Jeff, congrats! That's totally awesome!

JK

Molly B
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 10:46 am:   

Slow going, but J's down to around 250, I'm to 211. Enough that his pants fit and mine are geting baggy.

we both have the goal of at least another 10 lbs. I'd like to get rid of it in the next 3 weeks, we'll see what happens.

Molly

GabrielM
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 11:06 pm:   

Down another five, to 165.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 05:22 am:   

As Molly has said, I'm stalled out at about 250 lbs, and I'm pretty sure I know why. I just can't seem to do the whole "eat every three hours" thing, which is murder on my metabolism. But, I've added about an inch to my biceps, and I'd like to think I've added some muscle mass, so I'm not at all displeased.

Jason

JV
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:07 am:   

As of this morning, I am officially down to 220 lbs. This weekend, I did one 6-mile hike and another 13-mile hike, and the extra sustained exercise is helping build more endurance and flense the fat.

My target weight is 185 lbs, but 195 lbs would be a comfortable weight for me and might account for extra muscle mass, too.

JeffV

Minz
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:45 am:   

Hi, I'm Minz, and I'm being lame.

Alright, I started reading the Atkins book last night, and while the scientist in me screams at his broad and occasionally absurd claims, I'm looking forward to getting this going in earnest.

JeffV, along with co-workers & family, have inspired me.

I'm at 250, so I have lost a minimal amount just by trying to control my sweet tooth. But I'd like to get down to 200 if I can. (There, I finally admitted it. I need to lose 50 friggin pounds . . . Maybe I'll start after World Fantasy. <g>)

JV
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:04 am:   

Minz:

I'm also not totally convinced by Atkins' claims, but it's helping me lose weight steadily. When I reach my target weight, I'm going to go to a standard nutritionist and develop a plan for maintenance that probably strays from Atkins' long-term plan.

The exercise is the most important thing, I think. If I continue to exercise regularly, I'll eventually be able to eat normally again.

But I am totally against eating processed sugar, caffeine, and processed foods for the rest of my life.

Jeff

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:36 am:   

Scientific proof that the Atkins diet works? http://www.salon.com/mwt/wire/2003/10/13/low_carb_diet/index.html

It's only one study, but that combined with the anecdotal evidence I've heard here and elsewhere have got me convinced.

I'm gearing up to join the Atkins cult right after world fantasy. :-)
-jl

JV
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:48 am:   

This part is accurate, re Salon:

"Each afternoon, the volunteers picked up that evening's dinner, a bedtime snack and the next day's breakfast and lunch. Instead of lots of red meat and saturated fat, which many find disturbing about low-carb diets, these people ate mostly fish, chicken, salads, vegetables and unsaturated oils."

You have the option to eat lots of red meat, but you don't have to. I eat very little red meat now and very little saturated fat. How Atkins worked for me is: It gave me the ability to still eat a good amount of food while I was getting rid of the sugar and carbs so that I didn't feel their lack so much. Once I got over that hump, I cut down on portions, too. All while getting exercise. The other thing is, Atkins is easy to remember--it's very clear what you can and can't eat. On a lot of other diets, it's just a pain in the ass to follow.

When I say I doubt Atkins' claims, I mean I'm still worried about the effects of being on a diet with very little fruit and fiber over the long term. But I know that what I'm doing now is healthier over the short term (3 to 9 months) than what I was doing.

But if you don't get the exercise while you're on it, you can't reap the full benefits, and it will be much more likely that you'll regain the weight when you go off the diet. I see the exercise now as a lifetime commitment to shore up the benefits of the diet. It'll be my own damn fault if I don't have the discipline to keep the weight off.

Also, re this "I'll do it after World Fantasy" kick some of you are on. I'll gently chide you (which is really annoying in the recently converted, I know)--you can eat a lot and very well at WF on Atkins, and still have at least white wine or Scotch or brandy as your alcohol if you need it.

Jeff

LeslieWhat
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:42 am:   

At our workshop on Saturday, we broke up the Chinese restaurant dinner into two tables. The Atkins people had to sit with the South Beach people, but nobody slugged each other and everyone got enough to eat despite initial fears.

JV
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 02:25 pm:   

I am down to around 215 pounds. At WFC, I only drank heavily one night and went to the gym 3 or 4 mornings. Ann and I also walked quite a bit, sometimes five or six miles at a stretch, during our time in D.C. In addition, I am adding significant muscle mass to my upper body. This is the first time I've ever managed to control my diet during a con and still have fun, and actually lose weight during a con. Must have something to do with the company.

Jeff

Bob Urell
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 02:37 pm:   

Yeah, I thought you'd be a bigger guy than you turned out to be, Jeff. You actually looked trim, from what I could tell.
I myself am holding at about 250, as the chair I broke at that pub could attest. I did lose several inches around my waist, but that's slowed to nothing. Perhaps that's because I'm not really dieting, though, just exercise and even that sporadically.

John Thiel
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 04:11 pm:   

Spam, huh? Who's holding the spatula?

JV
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 03:12 pm:   

Well, it's now Sunday and this week, through even more intense exercise, I've finally completed the transition from a 37-38 waist to a 35-36 waist. I'm at the same weight, but have literally shrunk due to putting on muscle mass. Exercise bike, upper body and back work outs at the gym, racquetball, hiking, some jogging now, too. I feel great!

Also, my doctor says there's no harm in doing the induction phase of Atkins for awhile, because it's still more healthy than the normal American diet. But I've added fruit and nuts to it and I'm still doing great.

Any other updates?

JeffV

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 09:44 pm:   

I'm down from 282 to 244 myself, with a temporary target of 210. Ideally I'd like to get down to 185, but we'll see how likely that is.

Jason

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 07:58 am:   

I got down to my targeted weight of 160 a week before WFC, gained a bit back over the weekend (no surprise there), have now lost it. 160 is still technically overweight for my 5'7" height so I'm considering going down to 150. Haven't been 150 since my college days. We'll see.

GabrielM
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:02 am:   

Also, I was actually finding it a bit difficult to move off the dieting phase. Turns out to be easier to just follow a no-carbs-at-all policy than to start introducing carbs in manageable quantities. I find it hard to count carbs, particularly as I don't often cook and so eat out a lot.

JV
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 08:18 am:   

I'm down to around 210/211 lbs as of today. I think I'm about 10 to 15 pounds, tops, from my target weight, given the muscle I've put on.

Jeff

JV
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 09:18 am:   

I'm around 207, 208 lbs, and down to a 34-inch waist due to muscle mass replacing fat.

I'm not going to "check in" again until I reach my target weight in about a month.

Jeff

Sim
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 09:50 am:   

Glad you didn't let yourself go during your trip to NY, Jeff. Meanwhile, Gabe M has BALLOONED to and unfathomable 162 lbs.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 03:10 pm:   

so, after a two months of being on The Diet, I've dropped about 20 pounds. I'd still like to drop a few more, but I have to say it has been a very effective way to go about changing ones lifestyle.

Of course, if you listen to the American bread counsel, or the American Society of Vegetarian Doctors, I will be dead from kidney failure and heart disease in a few years, so it may be a wash. Oh well. I'm eating better then I have in 5 years, and I'm saving about 50% of my food budget because I am not going out to eat all the time. It works for me.

-jl

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:10 pm:   

Just a follow up:

Still on FATkins. I've lost 40lbs since November 6th. Still dropping, but much more slowly now, as I occasionally go crazzy, and must have sushi or Biscuits&Gravy, or a beer, or some such thing. But Iíve pretty much eliminated Sugar, and snack foods from my life.

Riding bike to work every day also helps, though was almost run-over/got-in-a-street-brawl with an idiot who backed into the street in front of me the other day, so my new found healthy lifestyle may be cut short by violence, and or fast moving vehicles.

My wife Liza is on Atkins as well, and is working out regularly. Normally, I won't mention it, but she was bragging about it on her live journal here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/beelizabub/4573.html

The cult of Atkins continues to melt pounds and destroy livers! yeah!

-jl

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:38 pm:   

With it being close to a year since I went on Atkins and started the hard-core exercising, I thought I'd issue one last update. This is possible, folks. I've gone from 269 lbs to 195 lbs in less than a year. I've put on a lot of muscle mass and will now leisurely over the next year take off the last 5 to 7 lbs I need to lose to be in really top-flight condition.

I now eat up to 100-120 grams of carbs per day, but all through things like wheat toast, vegetables, etc. Not through pasta, etc. I exercise twice a day five days a week, once a day one day a week, and take one day a week off. That's two sessions on the exercise bike of 30 to 45 minutes each, plus an hour-and-a-half of weight lifting four times a week. With some racquetball and wallyball and hiking and jogging thrown in for good measure.

So, it is possible. And hopefully, I can maintain it. I think Atkins works because it's simple and you can still eat and not feel like you're starving yourself in the early stages. Then, later, you start putting back in the types of food you left out to begin with, but in different quantities and making sure not to eat any processed foods or processed sugar.

Here's a before and after photo, such as they are.

Jeff

Text description

Text description

JV
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:41 pm:   

Sorry--I meant 257 lbs to 195. Not nearly as big an accomplishment.

Jeff

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |