Clarion Workshop looses funding! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Clarion Workshop looses funding! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 03:45 pm:   

http://www.locusmag.com/2003/News/News07Log1.html

As the story says... If you value this venerable institution at all, please take the time to email the University of Michigan

-jl

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   

Quick note: it's Michigan State University, not U of M.

Bill Shunn also wrote a very good letter on behalf of Clarion and got a response which reads, in part:

Because we share your sense that the Clarion Workshop has served its participants well in the many years MSU has provided support, we hope you will now assist Professor Matheson in finding ways for Clarion to flourish without a significant MSU subsidy.

We are confident that with so many satisfied participants, and so much good will, that Clarion can continue on with community support. If a plan were developed by the Clarion leadership that is fiscally prudent, Provost Simon and I would be pleased to review it with an eye toward a continued association between the Workshop and MSU.

Here's the whole response: http://www.livejournal.com/users/silvertide/105865.html

It's not surprising, given nearly two decades of austerity politics, an absolute decline in population in the area, and a deflationary recession, that MSU would be cutting left and right. I wonder whether it would be more fruitful to raise the money to stay at MSU or to find a college with a few more bucks to spare.

JV
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 05:55 pm:   

I'd also say it's not essential Clarion exist, not with Clarion West still in operation. The fact is, a lot of the students get a boost by going there, but most of them would find their way eventually anyway. A lot of them can also go to other workshops that have sprung up since Clarion was established. I do think Clarion has value, but I don't think it's a total disaster if it is lost.

jeffV

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 08:50 pm:   

It's a form letter. I received the same one today as well. (twice because I emailed both people we were asked to email).

Nick Mamatas
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 09:03 pm:   

We got 'em sending out form letters! Surely, they're mere days from capitulation!

Ellen
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 10:20 pm:   

If only :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register