HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Collectors, booksellers, and Night Sh...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Collectors, booksellers, and Night Shade Books « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Whispersmith
Username: Whispersmith

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:09 am:   

(I posted this under General, but realized it should probably go here. Please forgive, I'm new!)

Hi. I have lunch with six or seven used booksellers and spec. fiction collectors a few times a year. We met last Friday and the conversation quickly turned to how Night Shade was letting down collectors and booksellers.

Five of us owned/had invested in the collected Hodgson. My friend Raymond said that he had bought 10 copies of each volume. We were all in agreement that reprinting this milestone collection in hardcover let down collectors and used booksellers by devaluing the first printings. Our table represented at least six to seven thousand dollars spent with Night Shade in the past few years.

We all wondered why Night Shade did not just do a trade paper reprint. This would have helped casual
readers (who could pick up a cheap reading copy), dealers (who could realize a profit on their investments), and collectors (who would have the desirable and relatively scarce hardcover edition).

We understand the small press profit motive, but feel that Night Shade hurts its long-term brand outlook amongst dealers and true collectors by dumping what are effectively offset editions on the market.

The reprint issues, the product delays, the "lost" pre-orders, and comments like "if you ask about your order you're moved to the back of the line" seem to have removed the dew from the Night Shade bud for us.

I realize that we are a special interest group and probably don't reflect the view of the mainstream and the Night Shade "posse" acolytes and apologists, but I wanted to throw this out for discussion, insults, etc. and get some opinions on this particular issue.

My apologies in advance to those who feel that this is undue criticism, these are just the observations and pontifications of a closely-knit (and probably insular) group.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |