HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Hodgson is here! Finally!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Hodgson is here! Finally! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 03:52 am:   

The Boats of the "Glen Carrig" and Other Nautical Adventures : The Collected Fiction of William Hope Hodgson vol. 1 is now shipping. FINALLY! Been a long time coming.

And for those that are interested, we've got the page for vol. 2 up now, The House on the Borderland and Other Mysterious Places.

Jason

JimRockhill
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 10:26 am:   

Nice book, Jeremy! I assume that "Demons of the Sea", which is like the Saragasso Sea tales but seems to take place elsewhere, has been moved to volume 3. The tale was originally listed among the contents of volume 1.

Jim

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:54 pm:   

I had originally placed Demons Of the Sea amongst the Sargasso Sea stories due to my memories of the story, and a statement by Sam Moskowitz in the introduction to one of the Grant volumes. This is how it ended up in an early contents list of vol. 1, which was reproduced on the website.

During a closer examination of the texts, it became apparent that Demons of the Sea does not contain any specific references to the Sargasso Sea, and there are textual suggestions that the events of the story take place in the Pacific.

This story will indeed be in Volume 3, and its Derleath Re-write(The Crew of the Lancing) will most likely be included in Volume 5.

Thanks for complement on the book. This project has taken up a big part of my life over the last 2 years, and I am happy that people are finally able to get the first book.

-jl

Mike S
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 11:18 am:   

Some Hodgson buzz here.

The book really is gorgeous. Everyone who saw it at Readercon said "ooh" and "ahh."

JV
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 03:31 pm:   

HOLY CRAP!!!!! It's an AMAZING book. It's just amazingly beautiful. Stunning. What a great book. Jeremy, Jason--you must be so proud.

JeffV

Dustin
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   

Okay, I have read only one Hodgson story, but I loved it. So I'm trying to find a good collection of his stuff. This series seems the best bet, but a tad spendy for a starving student such as myself. So I want to make sure: Are they unedited texts? I understand some issues of Hodgson work have had portions excised. That doesn't happen here though does it?

And I don't suppose there'll be a cheaper paperback release?

Thanks.

gordon white
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:04 pm:   

Well done NightShadeBooks. I have been a WHH fan since reading Nightlands in 1973. Have read it twice since. House on the Borderland still sends shivers down me. Why oh why do publishers here in the UK ignore this great author who was SO ahead of his time. Canacki showed such insight with the technology described. I can only seem to find it on Amazon USA and not UK, why. Well done folks and thanks from all William Hope Hodgson fans around the world

Gordon White UK

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

Thanks very much Gordon. It has been an honor and privilege to bring Hodgson's work back into print, and make it available for a new generation of readers.

Gollanze has an omnibus edition of all of his novels in print in the UK, under the Title The House on the Borderlands, and it features a nice introduction by China Mieville.

-Jeremy

Asshurbanipal
Username: Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:54 am:   

I think the time has come to say a word
Regarding Hodgson Volume Five. A third
Year passes, and the book has not appeared.
The erstwhile patient customers are feared
It never may be manifested. Weird.
What! Dare we hope for publication soon,
Or are we merely baying at the moon?
Methinks that Night Shade should announce a date
For consummation of this project, lest too late
It should appear, and we have suffered mortals' fate.

J_saw
Username: J_saw

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   

Ode to Asshurbanipal

I hear with heart your fears confessed
Lest Hodgson lie unread, unseen
Oh Night Shade please bring forth your best
With navy cover, silver gilting's sheen
For if poor poetry doth not sway
Your heart and mine fall in decay

Lo Asshurbanipal! Your fears are mine
Our bookshelves lie in wait, denied
For volumes left, all alone to pine
Their sibling lost, unborn; I cried
Oh Night Shade please fire up the press
Bring forth the book, now under duress.

Sanjayj
Username: Sanjayj

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 03:42 pm:   

About this time two years ago, I first discovered Night Shade Books was issuing the collected fiction of William Hope Hodgson. I was almost too late-- NSB had sold out of volumes one and two-- but Jeremy Lassen helped me locate some of the few remaining copies being sold by NSB distributors. I was very grateful.

I am very much looking forward to the fifth and final volume. I am slightly anxious, however, because if the book doesn't ship, my credit card's fraud department will no longer cover me. I ordered (and paid for) the book almost two years ago through a NSB distributor, and the grace period I would have had to notify my credit card company of any problems has expired. Although I am sure there will be no problem with my order, I did a quick calculation-- and I'm no math guy-- but I added up the two years' worth of interest that I would have earned if I had invested the money I paid for the final volume instead in an index stock, and I found I would have accumulated APPROXIMATELY $440,34S,3d3.23 dollars! Wow.

Fortunately, the final William Hope Hodgson volume will be worth it.

John_thiel
Username: John_thiel

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 06:42 am:   

Hodgson has a fantastic vision. Is it still available for one and all to read?
I've got biff and zow

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |