ReaderCon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » ReaderCon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike S.
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   

Anyone going this year?

Also, anyone have a schedule?

I'll be in Boston for a few days in July, and I might be able to make it to the Con for part of Friday the 11th, but I want to see if it'll be worth it.

Mike

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   

I will be there. I also believe Mr. Chapman is going to be there, if yout trust the list of people on the front page of the con.

http://www.readercon.org

JK

Mike
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   

Oh, that's what that list is. I thought "verified program participants" maybe had something to do with Alcoholics Anonymous or something.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:43 pm:   

Um...no

Stepan Chapman
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 07:23 pm:   

Myself and my delightful wife and psychic travel agent Kia will be there.

So will Michael Cisco, I am reliably informed.

I hope to give a reading from "The Obscure Medical History of the Twentieth Century As Revealed By the Lambshead Pocket Guide".

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:38 am:   

This is a call for all THACKERY contributors. Would people be interested in doing a group reading at Readercon? If people are interested, I'll contact the powers-that-be at Readercon to set up a reading time so we can introduce the book and then have a reading or three from it. According to the Readercon site, here are the THACKERY contributors that have said they will be there:

Stepan Chapman
Michael Cisco
Paul DiFilippo
Jeffrey Thomas

I know that Mr. Wexler was considering going. Anyone else? Let me know immediately if you are interested in trying to do a reading from the guide and I'll get it set up.

John Klima

Michael Bishop
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 06:29 am:   

I won't be there, but if you could get Paul Di Filippo to read my contribution to the guide, "Menard's Disease," I'd certainly feel myself to be there in spirt.

Michael Bishop

Mike
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 06:30 am:   

Uh, make that "spirit."

MB

RFW
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 06:39 pm:   

Maybe I'll read your piece, Michael, because I don't think mine would work without all the context. Unless Stepan wants to read the context. But then I'd have to play the villian.

Robert

MLB
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:26 am:   

Okay, Robert, either you or Paul can read my contribution. (It's hard for me to imagine you two fellas arm-wrestling for the "honor," but I'll try.) Context?

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 04:05 pm:   

My lovely wife Rose and I will be manning the Night Shade / Ministry of Whimsy dealer's table - bring lots of cash!!!

Last year's LAMBSHEAD GUIDE reading was a blast - Stepan Chapman, Michael Cisco, Paul Di Filippo, Jeffrey Ford, Jeff VanderMeer and myself. I'm sure this year's will be just as fun. If I can find that heart (human? animal?) in a block of green lucite that my brother gave me for a birthday present one year (he bought it at a flea market), I'll bring it as a prop. I've misplaced it. Organs are slippery little devils.

John Klima
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:36 am:   

I'll be sure to visit you in the dealer's room, and I'll definitely see you at the reading!

JK

Ben O
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:26 pm:   

Jeffery, for cash are you accepting pieces of eight... tentacles? And will the Ministry be handing out little plastic squid again this year?

Anyhow, I can't wait - ReaderCon is almost better than sex. See you there!

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 07:40 am:   

Just thought I'd say how much I like the misspelling "Jeffery".

"Thomas, Ford, VanderMeer. . . . Enough of all this Jeffery!"

JeffREY
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:41 am:   

Not to make anyone feel bad but I HATE seeing my name spelled Jeffery! It's a common mistake - some parents even make it when naming their kids! Recently I had a novella appear in a magazine and my name was spelled like that on the cover, in the contents, and as my byline. Argh! I even saw a mockup of the cover of one of my books where it was spelled that way. Okay...I've calmed down now. Whew.

Great, John -- looking forward to meeting you!

No plastic squid this year, Ben; those were left-overs of the "cocktail squid" I gave to Jeff and Ann VanderMeer for their wedding. Maybe we'll think of some other goodies to hand out. Readercon better than sex? Hmm...maybe better than sex with a squid. MAY-be.

Ben O
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   

Oops, sorry Jeffrey!! I guess I was a little too excited or something.

On the squid-sex thing - I'd go for ReaderCon over squid sex every time - I've learned my lesson about their razor sharp beaks! :-)

Jeffrey
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 12:46 pm:   

Is THAT why you walk with a limp and constant wince, Ben? ;) No problem re: "Jeffery". Hey, today I received four HUGE boxes of GORGEOUS Night Shade/Ministry of Whimsy books for Readercon. WOW! The Hodgson book alone is breath-taking...you'd have to see its glittering shininess to appreciate it. I forsee readers swarming to it like moths to a flame. The name written in pen atop one of the shipping boxes, though? "Jeffery" Thomas. NoooOOO!!!

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:37 pm:   

JeffREy,

It's nothing personal, Ben (who does the shipping) can't spell his own name, let alone yours. Glad to hear the books showed up!

Jason

Ben O
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 07:50 am:   

Jeffrey, Yep, you got it in one. But it wasn't my fault - I was suckered into it. It all happened one night after I'd had too much to drink at this dive of a sand bar...

I'm sorely tempted by the Hodgson. I already have the old Ballantine version of The Boats of the "Glen Carrig", but it doesn't have any of the short stories. Plus, the Night Shade book looks way cool.

Ben (the Ben who actually can spell his own name, he just has trouble with others)

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:29 am:   

FROM THE DESK OF THE DIRECTOR

Dear Drs:

I'm not sure of the exact time I will be arriving at the convention, but I have a panel at 7PM, and then a break before the meeting. Would everyone have time to meet around 8:15 to 8:30 to discuss how this event should be organized? Since I have not witnessed any prior medical readings, some advice as to how I should direct the evenings festvities...I mean, somber reflections would be appreciated.

Director K

Jeffrey Thomas
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:10 pm:   

I can do that (I'm sure my squid can entertain herself alone in our hotel room for a while; we're just friends, really).
- Dr. Thomas

P.S. - Got another HUGE load of NS books delivered to the house today. What a treasure trove I have resting beside me, making it hard to walk from one room to another, even as I type this!

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 11:41 pm:   

Another load? What was in it? I'd thought we'd sent you everything last time?

Jason

Jeffrey
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:01 pm:   

More ILL CHILDREN, more Shirley books, more of the Hodgson; I'll count all books before I set out so I'll have a full inventory at my disposal when it's time to start reeling in the cash. A bit of unneeded stress: my car's in the shop with a cracked radiator and tomorrow's the con. ARGH!!! But I'll get there if I have to hitch up a sled to my dog or drive a lawnmower ala THE STRAIGHT STORY.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 07:51 am:   

I would just like that I greatly enjoyed putting a face to my many Night Shade Board friends this last weekend at Readercon. I arrived late, but in time to host the Lambshead Reading. The reading was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed myself thoroughly in the Dealer's Room. (where I managed to pick up Leviathan 1, 2, and 3!)

So, a thank you and a 'it was a pleasure meeting you' to the following:

Christopher Barzak
Stepan Chapman
Michael Cisco
William Shunn
Jeffrey Thomas
Robert Wexler

Sorry to anyone who wanted to meet that did not get the chance to, I apologize. I'm sure somewhere down the road we'll get the chance!

JK

JV
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:31 am:   

And thanks to you, John, for being the introducer/organizer of the disease guide reading!

Jeff

RFW
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 06:59 am:   

Hey John, was great meeting you too. I'm sorry you got stuck with the job of taking Dr. Chapman's scalpel away before he injured something.

Robert

Jeffrey
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:16 pm:   

Very kind, Emcee JK, very kind! I had a great time; wish it could have lasted a week.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register