HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Dream of X

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Dream of X « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Eschete
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 12:30 am:   

Hi. I'm curious as to when the final book of the WHH series will be published. I have the first four and I'm gettin' antsy for this one.

Nickrocks
Username: Nickrocks

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 11:50 am:   

I am also curious about this one. And, will there be the option for a slipcase for the set at some point?

Jlassen
Username: Jlassen

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 03:30 pm:   

The final manuscript is almost fully in hand. Should be out in 2-3 months.

Sorry this one took so long. The guest editor for the final volume had some family health issues that too precedence over this type of freelance work.

Nickrocks

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 07:24 am:   

Thanks for the update! Hope your guest editors family is back to health.

Alvinfox
Username: Alvinfox

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 02:29 am:   

Can't wait!

Nickrocks

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:50 am:   

I was wondering where this fits into the schedule NSB just put on the website. Or will it just fit in once the manuscript is received, proofed, etc?

Jlassen

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:30 am:   

Manuscript has been recieved. Is being layed out and proofed, and then needs to be slid into the schedule. Soon.

Sanjayj
Username: Sanjayj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   

I am really looking forward to this one. I got the 1977 Sam Moskowitz version to tide me over-- like the Nightshade Hodgson books, it is a beautiful book. I'm looking forward to the Nightshade version of The Dream of X, because I sometimes like to read stories without additional artwork. The Stephen E. Fabian pictures in the 1977 version are gorgeous, however, and I am pleased to have them, too. Sometimes I like to keep my own imagined images separate from the pictures, so Nightshade's version will be perfect for me.

Asshurbanipal
Username: Asshurbanipal

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 03:32 am:   

Sirs
(With apologies to Thomas Hood)
No emails, no post,
No news from Californian coast,
No blue and silver, no familiar look,
No comforting arrival of the wanted book,
No words, no lines, no printed inspirations,
No further tales set in marine locations,
No rhymes, no thrills,
No hauntings, no inventions,
No update of the publishers' intentions,
No Hodgson.

Sanjayj

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 08:04 am:   

Mr. Jeremy Lassen, you wrote above that the final Hodgson book would soon be scheduled to print. Has a date been set?

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:15 am:   

Hi Sanjayj
I don't wish to depress you, but:
In 2006 (May 17th) NSB said, "The fifth and final volume in our WHH series, The Dream of X, is nearing completion and we hope to have it out soon." Please note the use of the word SOON, as it will recur, and the year, 2006.
In 2007 (January 19th) NSB said, "Hodgson Volume 5 ... The Editor (we hired an outside editor for this book, instead of doing it in-house) was supposed to turn in the MS in June. He hasn't been answering emails for about 8 months, so it means we're having to do it in-house. We're going to try and get it out as SOON as possible" (my capitals).
Here's that word SOON again, and why did it take 8 months of silence before NSB started to worry? Also, there's no mention of a family illness here.
Again in 2007 (July 18th) NSB said, "The last batch of stories were scanned and sent to the editor a week ago ... I should have them back in a couple of weeks and then we go into production."
On August 10th 2007, NSB said, "Hodgson Volume 5 is getting close ... We will DEFINITELY have this out before the end of the year," (again my capitals).
In 2008 (February 19th) NSB said, "The final MS is almost fully in hand. Should be out in 2-3 months ... The guest editor for the final volume had some family health issues."
On April 18th 2008 NSB said, "MS has been received. Is being layed (sic) out and proofed and then needs to be slid into the schedule. SOON."
Well, here we are in August and still we only get "SOON" which is what we had in 2006. Two years of drip-fed excuses and peurile nonsense. As for Clark Ashton Smith Volumes 4 and 5, we're going down the same road. I think the publishers should rebrand their company. What about Night Shame Books? I also think if these boys had been in charge in 1776, you'd still be drinking tea.

Bsaenz24
Username: Bsaenz24

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   

Asshurbanipal,

If you can't deal with waiting, ask for a refund and stop your complaining. Get something to do besides waiting for a couple of books. Go outside and get some fresh air. Yes, it's been a long wait, but get over it or just be quiet.

Sanjayj

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 08:48 am:   

Overstock.com lists the release date for this book as 09/15/2008. This advertised release date has changed over the years, but it appears that someone may be telling overstock.com when the book might be released.

Note: unless you ordered this item from overstock.com (a couple of years ago when it looked like it was going to be published soon), you will probably not be able to search for it in overstock.com's general listing.

Please allow me to make a suggestion. If this book is being held up in the editing process, the process of someone typing a scanned image into an electronic file, I would like to offer to do this for Night Shade Books. I could do this in three months, and I already have the Sam Moskowitz version of the Dream of X, for comparison. I have limited experience editing, but I would produce fewer transcription typos than the average number found throughout the rest of the first four books of the collected fiction of William Hope Hodgson. (Please see the last few chapters of The Night Land for an example of the sort of typos I am referring to.) I do not have the software necessary for producing the layout. I can be contacted through the email address associated with my user account.

Asshurbanipal

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:42 am:   

Bsaenz24
Drop dead. When I want your opinion I'll give it to you. The long wait continues. Mind your own business, and just keep quiet.

Bsaenz24

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 07:12 am:   

Asshurbanipal,

I would think you could have figured it out, but when you post something on a messageboard, it IS everyone's business because you are MAKING it everyone's business by whining in a public forum. If you don't want opinions from other people, don't post in a public forum.

If this is still too complicated for you, let me know and I will try to use even smaller words or maybe draw you a picture.

Asshurbanipal

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 08:22 am:   

Hey, Beanz
Schtoom. Make like the clam. I'm talking about a legally binding contract between customer and supplier. NSB stated in writing that they would definitely publish this book in 2007 (having taken my money in 2005) and their failure to do so is a clear breach of contract. As such, this would require not merely a refund (with interest) but substantial compensation, being also in breach of customer protection law. However, neither a refund nor compensation can be discussed with a company who deny their customers even the basic courtesy of replying to their emails. There's also the question (as raised by Sanjayj) of taking money by credit card on-line and then failing to supply the goods. Boy, that's serious stuff.
NSB love to praise themselves on their web-site, but fail to deliver. Clark Ashton Smith Vol 4 is now put back to 2009, and even that deadline is unlikely to be honoured. Hell, what about Vol 5?
Okay, let's say you take your auto for a service, and three years later it isn't ready. When you complain, some schmucko says, "Get something to do. Go outside for some fresh air. Just be quiet." I know you'd be just thrilled to bits.
So let's hear something from NSB for a change. Come on, Jerry, tell it like it is. This year? Next year? Five years? Why can you never produce anything on time? What do you do when you buy something on-line and three years later all you've got is "SOON" and some jelly-brain trading insults?
Smaller words? Picture? Don't waste your crayons on me, boy. If you've got something constructive to add to this forum, that's just fine, but if you haven't just button up.

Bsaenz24

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   

Hey Asspal,

You're funny.

Jlassen

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 06:02 pm:   

Hey everyone. I'm really sorry about the delay of Hodgson Five. I'm pretty fucking frustrated with it myself. My contracted editor keeps ignoring my emails for months at a time -- I think its been over 4 months since he's responded to my last query.

Right now, I've got the text of the stories, but have been waiting for the introduction, story notes and bibliography that were promised. It appears I've been waiting in vain. So I guess I'm cobbling these together myself. As I don't want to shit in peoples cheerios, I'm refraining from mentioning peoples names... but most of you probably know who the contracted editor for vol. 5 is.

My main point in delaying the book has been to "get it right." If I rush volume five, and it is missing stories, or they text isn't based on the right sources, then I've just fucked over everyone who wanted a complete and definitive set of Hodgson's work... so that's why I've been willing to delay this book until we get all the material in hand and properly vetted/proofed, etc. I've lost ALL of my distributor pre-orders for this title, so Its not going to be profitable on pub, like it should have been. If I didn't give a shit about the quality of the production, I would have rushed this out late last year, using unvetted texts, etc, just to make a buck. But I made a commitment to everyone who expects a certain level of quality, and I'm trying to maintain that.

In response to Asshuranipal's little screed above, I can assure everyone that anybody who asks for a refund is welcome to it. Send me an email and I'll refund you your purchase price.

Now, please note, the only people who have been charged in advance are those who purchased a subscription to the series, and those who purchased the title at 50% off.

Subscribers are welcome to return vols. 1-4 and they will receive a full refund of their subscription. 50% off purchasers are welcome to email me with their purchase details, and I'll refund their money.

I'm really glad there is so much interest in the Hodgson series and I'm sorry its taken this long to get it out. Anybody unhappy, please feel free to email me at jlassen@nightshadebooks.com if you want to vent and complain directly to me, rather then simply doing it here. I'm pretty unhappy and pissed off myself, so You will have a sympathetic ear, if nothing else. I will probably ignore you, but if you are really creative or mean, or bitchy, I might send a similar email back to you. :-)

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 03:14 am:   

Hi
You had William Hope Hodgson Volume 5 rescheduled for January 2009. Now you have "early 2009." How early do you think that will be, please? Also for January 2009 was Clark Ashton Smith Volume 4, which now doesn't get a mention. When do you think this will be available? Having made allowances for global economic conditions and proof-eating pussies, it would be nice to have something definite to look forward to.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 03:57 am:   

Wowee. T minus 7 and counting. Bill Hodgson 5 is coming at last. Been looking forward to this one for so long I can almost taste it. I just know NSB won't let me down this time. This project has been allowed to mature like a good wine, slowly and without haste, not rushed but brought gently to perfection. So, strike up the band and let's hear it for a job well done. Let joy be unconfined. Untrammel that camel and break out the dates. Slap my turkey, boys, but the ecstatic torture of expectation is almost run. Yeah.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 04:07 am:   

What's this? Bill Hodgson 5 SHOULD be out by early May? What happened to March 30th, "meet it and hopefully beat it?" The goal-posts just keep on moving. Is it any wonder that some of your customers have become disillusioned?
Someone said to me, "Night Shade Books don't know what they're doing," but I said, "No! I won't have that! This time I know it's for real!"
Now my hopes are dashed. My camel's got the hump. My turkey's been stuffed. And what if Bill doesn't make it in May ...
Anybody else got Hodgson on order? What do you think? Am I being too harsh, too judgemental, too cynical ...

Ross_e_lockhart
Username: Ross_e_lockhart

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:12 am:   

I love this thread

Short answer is, we'd rather do it right than rush it. It's been a long haul, but that light you see up ahead in the tunnel isn't an oncoming train, for once. Seriously.

More complicated, but slightly flippant answer (in the form of three questions and a statement): Have you tried publishing anything in this economy? It's madness, I tell you! Billions for bankers, but who's looking out for the publishers? Nobody, I'll tell you, nobody.

Look, Laird Barron's THE IMAGO SEQUENCE is out in Trade Paperback now. Buy it this weekend and you can pick out a free trade paperback (Details on the main page, offers expires on Sunday, March 29). Choose wisely on that second one, and you might just end up with enough reading material to keep you busy until Old Wild Bill ships.

Sanjayj

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:01 am:   

I will look forward to The Dream of X and Other Fantastic Visions shipping May 1st. While I cannot offer the billions of dollars banks may be getting, I can offer to buy more NSB books, which I will do after I have received volume 5 of the collected William Hope Hodgson. In fact, I will probably end up buying this particular book twice, as I paid for my first order through an internet merchant, and my credit card's fraud protection ran out on that order years ago. I'm looking forward to buying The Living Dead-- I liked these stories in Book of the Dead by John Skipp and Craig Spector-- and other NSB books after I receive the final William Hope Hodgson volume to complete the set begun by the first four I ordered (and received) from Night Shade Books. I appreciate NSB's taking the time to get this book right. I don't mind the typos, but I do want all of the material in the table of contents.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:13 am:   

Hi Ross
Thanks for replying. Sure as hell nobody would ever, but ever, accuse you of rushing this one. Believe me. Trouble is, the Promised Land just keeps on receding. When we get to May will it become August ...
No, I haven't tried publishing anything during this economic climate, but when this book was first scheduled there wasn't a recession anywhere in sight. What I have done since 2005, while awaiting Bill Hodgson 5, is read, re-read, and then edit all 71 volumes of The Jesuit Relations & Allied Documents, as first published by the Burrows Brothers, New York. By retaining all the history and dumping all the propaganda, I got it down to 4 volumes, 1800 pages, just over a million words, all typed by yours truly onto computer files and then proof-read. That's a serious workload. Now I'm looking for a publisher. Interested?
Thanks for the offer re The Imago Sequence, but, truth to tell, nothing could persuade me to buy anything else from NSB. I have Lovecraft's poetry from NSB, plus two volumes of letters, also Dunsany in 3 volumes, Clark Ashton Smith Vols 1-3 and Hodgson Vols 1-4, and yes, there're all very nice, even splendid, but when I finally get Hodgson 5 and Smith 4-5 I'll call it a day. Nothing personal, please believe me, but I do have some nice stuff from Hippocampus Press to catch up on.

Ross_e_lockhart

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:24 am:   

RE: Asshurbanipal

"What I have done since 2005, while awaiting Bill Hodgson 5, is read, re-read, and then edit all 71 volumes of The Jesuit Relations & Allied Documents, as first published by the Burrows Brothers, New York. By retaining all the history and dumping all the propaganda, I got it down to 4 volumes, 1800 pages, just over a million words, all typed by yours truly onto computer files and then proof-read. That's a serious workload. Now I'm looking for a publisher. Interested?"

Sounds intriuging, but is it character-driven? Action-packed? Franchise-ready? If you cut the word count down to about 100K, sex it up a bit, and throw in some rockets or dragons for the genre purists, I'm willing to take a look at it. Have your agent query me.

Seriously, though, it sounds like you missed our Manly Wade Wellman collection. Or are you one of those strictly pre-1940 readers? If so, that's cool, I'm the same way about (most) country and western music.

Asshurbanipal

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 01:34 am:   

Hi Ross
No, it ain't your thing - more one for the serious student of North American history (that's a good one, coming from a limey), but if you want to know what happens when civilisation (Native Americans) collides with power-hungry white supremacy, grab a copy. Seriously, though, I read what's good. No, I don't require Wellman: yes, I do require Hodgson. Early May - I'll hold you to that.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:47 am:   

May 12th sounds good. Still May 1st for Clark Ashton Smith?

Sanjayj

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 02:07 pm:   

Ross E. Lockhart,

I have just found out from overstock.com today that the order I placed with them (and paid for in 2006) for the final volume of the collected William Hope Hodgson has been cancelled. They have held my money for three years, and now that the Dream of X is three weeks away, they have now cancelled my order. I asked overstock.com why this was, and they said they were going to be unable to obtain this book. Is Night Shade Books refusing to sell books to overstock.com, or is overstock.com just making this up?

Has anyone else had any problems with overstock.com?

Thank you for any response.

P.S. I no longer have the credit card I used to place this order three years ago, so I cannot get a refund, as overstock.com is refusing to mail me a check. I should have just ordered this book directly with Night Shade Books in the first place....

Ross_e_lockhart

Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 03:44 pm:   

Asshurbanipal - Looks like Smith's going to be shipping near the end of May. As soon as I have a solid ship date from the printer, I'll be posting it to the main page.

Sanjayj - Unfortunately, we have no control over Overstock.com. We don't deal with them directly; instead, they buy books from wholesalers. I'd like to discuss this matter further with you. Please e-mail me: ross@nightshadebooks.com

Kaprikorn_schultz
Username: Kaprikorn_schultz

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 08:35 am:   

Does anyone know if The Dream of X and Other Fantastic Visions will be available at Amazon.ca someday? I would rather buy it there than through Nightshadebooks.com, shipping is way too expensive here.

Eds
Username: Eds

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 09:46 am:   

I believe they were taking advance orders on it at one time but they probably canceled all those and are no longer accepting any orders at the moment because of the lack of any credible publishing date. I would expect that with the book now becoming available in the supply chain that they probably will start accepting orders for it again but it might easily be another month or more before that happens.

Sanjayj

Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   

This week I received the final Hodgson volume (the one I ordered through Night Shade Books, not the one I unfortunately tried ordering from overstock.com), and it looks great. It appears there are a couple of additional stories beyond what was at first planned for this book. I'm looking forward to reading these extra stories along with all the others. This might be a stupid question, but are the two "counterfeits" stories that were falsely attributed to Hodgson, or were they stories he wrote under a pen name? Thank you for the excellent set.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 12:39 am:   

Stardate May 26th 2008
Hi Sanjayj
Glad to hear you got Hodgson 5, but my copy has yet to arrive. I would ask NSB about their despatch priorities (first ordered, first served: maybe USA first, overseas last) but they said that enquiries would only slow them down. Still, out of interest, my invoice is dated April 15th 2005, #4997, Portland OR. It would be reassuring to know that my order is still good, or the book is in the post, or will be in the post. Sure has been a long time.

Alvinfox

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 03:47 am:   

I'm only a 7 hour drive away from SF and haven't gotten it yet. I'm sure it'll be very soon.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 12:36 am:   

Hi cats
Lor! The Old Ones titter mindlessly and Tsathoggua takes his revenge.
PS. Still watching that mailbox ...

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 12:36 am:   

Hi cats
I see you're offering Hodgson 5 for half price in your sale, which is good news for anybody thinking of buying a copy. This must mean that all pre-orders have been filled, and I would therefore like to ask you to confirm that my copy has been shipped (Invoice #4997 dated 4/15/2005). Nothing has arrived yet and we're into June. Many thanks

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 01:32 am:   

Hi
The postman has just arrived bearing his precious burden, and seldom can he have been received with such an excess of rapture. Many thanks

Bsaenz24

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 08:16 am:   

Asshurbanipal,

Congrats on receiving your copy!! I know you've been looking forward to it.

Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 09:28 am:   

Bsaenz24
Many thanks and all the best.

Alvinfox

Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 05:17 am:   

Still waiting for my copy. I hope it comes to the correct address. I moved and changed my address in December. I still have the email from Ross confirming the change. I will just go and sit by the mailbox with a forlorn look upon my face.

Sydneypaul
Username: Sydneypaul

Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 05:52 am:   

I ordered the series on April 9, 2002. I'm still waiting, as well. Over seven years is a rather long time.

Sydneypaul
Username: Sydneypaul

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   

I received my copy of book 5 today. Yay. Now, what do you think the odds are that those of us who ordered the subscription way back when will receive slipcases? Does anyone else remember that promise?

Alvinfox

Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 07:18 pm:   

Still waiting. Are the books still in the process of being shipped out or should I begin to worry?

Ross_e_lockhart

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   

Hodgson slipcases are currently in process. Now that we have the measurements for the books (until we had Volume 5 in hand, we were just guessing), we're deciding on the best option for a slipcase manufacturer. Once I have more details, I'll post them to the main page.

And Alvinfox - you should have your book by now. Drop me an e-mail to the address about a quarter of the way up the page (and be sure to let me know your name and current mailing address - these handles make it impossible to figure out who's who). I'll straighten it out.

Alvinfox

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   

Just got Dream of X and Maze of the Enchanter today. Excellent. Thanks for the quick responses Ross.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |