I love Dick Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » I love Dick « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 12:58 pm:   

I have so much Dick you wouldn't believe it. Massive amounts of Dick. I'm going on a Dickathon.

Yesterday I went Dick shopping at Powells, and managed to find used Vintage tpbs of nineteen Dick books.

That's a lot of Dick.

Jason

Mastadge
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:27 pm:   

I shall now blaspheme:

I have no Dick. I have never devoured the contents of Dick. Despite the frequent recommendations of friends and smart people, my eyes have never beheld any length of Dick.

Dickless.

Jack Haringa
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:51 pm:   

I tried Dick, but didn't care for the experience. That was a novel Dick, though; the short Dick is better, but still doesn't impress me the way Dick does others.

This is in no way meant to malign Dick or those who love Dick. Some of my best friends are Dick-lovers.

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 03:20 pm:   

I have to admit that I had an early taste for Dick, but grew out of it. For all of the attractions of a good long Dick, it eventually paled and my attention moved elsewhere.

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 03:31 pm:   

Dick has been such a huge influence on the SF genre that, even if you don't specifically care for Dick, you are bound to run into other things that have been heavily influenced by Dick -- second hand Dick, as it were.

I have to admit that I am a big fan of second hand Dick... stuff that is "Dickean." Sometimes I feel guilty because I love second hand Dick, but I haven't had a lot of first hand Dick. Does this make sense?

-jl

jeff ford
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 03:49 pm:   

I like that Radio Free Ablemuth Dick. Not usually a favorite, but it kept me riveted. Also like Time Out of Joint. The Sutin biography of Dick, I thought was really well done too. I asked two different authors what they thought of it. Tim Powers told me he thought it was on the money. Harlan Ellison told me it was total bullshit.

Best,

Jeff

Jason
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 04:20 pm:   

I really like short Dick, a great deal. Long Dick, however, I've only experience a time or two. I figure now that I've got a lot of Dick, I'll sit down and figure out if I like Long Dick or not.

Jason

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 04:24 pm:   

You're all Dicks, in a sense. Or, as it were, Dickheads.

JeffV

Phil
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 04:53 pm:   

None of the foregoing exchange actually occurred.

JeffV
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:21 pm:   

LOL!!!!!!

Do you mean, how can the publisher of the genius collection Things That Never Happened riff on the word "Dick" for so many postings?

That's what I love about Night Shade--they're the Russian Mafia with the souls of poets.

JeffV

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:57 pm:   

One of the benifits of working in a bookstore is to help people first discovering the joys of Dick. A guy just came in today and asked "Do you have Dick?" I said "Oh... yeah... do I EVER have DICK!" This intriguied him, and he asked what kind of Dick I would reccomend for a virgin who hadn't had any Dick. On my recomendation, he left with The Man In the High Castle, and A Scanner Darkely.

I'm a Dick pusher. People need the Dick, and I'm here to give it to them.

-jl

BenO
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 08:43 pm:   

I Love Dick! In fact, undue modesty aside, I would venture to say that I have more Dick than most (34 read so far, with another 12 unread and 4 more unread bio/essay books). I actually prefer long Dick - the plots tend to be more layered and psychotic. My best loved Dick is Valis, which was the basis for much of his also excellent Radio Free Albemuth.

A couple other authors that I've found to be especially Dickian are Stanislaw Lem (great!!) and, more recently, Victor Pelevin who is something of cross between Dick and a buddhist Bulgakov.

An odd fact that's been prodding at my consciousness for some time now - I've read more Dick and more Moorcock than any other authors - sooth!

BeholdtheMan
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:12 pm:   

I know what you mean. Dick usually fills me to the brim, but sometimes after I'm finished I feel unsatisfied, tossing and turning restlessly, wondering whether some Moorcock would hit the spot...

Phil
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:40 pm:   

None of the foreskin exchange actually occurred.

Ms Sextuple
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   

I'm a chick with six Dicks. Long Dicks. But they don't excite me as much as I feel they should. I just never really got addickted.

Forrest
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:40 pm:   

I was impregnated with an appreciation for Dick by The Divine Invasion.

Forrest

Nicholas Liu
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:04 am:   

I'm fine with Dick, though I'm not all that much of an enthusiast. I'll borrow a Dick if I see it, but if it came down to it, I don't think I'll ever need a Dick badly enough to pay for it.

steve r
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:35 pm:   

Do androids dream of electric Dicks? Don't worry, we can build you.

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:42 pm:   

I've been up for the Dick twice now, and I'm hoping to be up for it again. Hey, what can I say - I'm a game girl.

I am reading the bio of Dick at the moment and very interesting it is, too. Hard stuff, though. And as a writer, stiff competition.

(Can you tell this is after writer's group at the pub? I'll despise myself in the morning, but that's nothing new. Seriously, however, I will be looking out for the Victor Pelevin).

JeffV
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:44 pm:   

Oh boy. So many jokes come to mind, but I'll be good.

JeffV

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:51 pm:   

Be good, Jeff, and so will I - otherwise "Carry On Up the Nightshade" will ensue.

See? Didn't even take till morning. 10 minutes later and I'm cringing at my own lamentable capacity for double entendres...It's a British seaside meme...

Liz Williams
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:54 pm:   

PS: If anyone is a Dorothy Sayers fan, they will recognise the 'inherent vulgarity of watering places' issue. I live in a very vulgar town.

Jeff
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 04:13 pm:   

LOL!

JeffV

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 04:29 pm:   

Sometimes you have to be able to appreciate a good Dick joke. Otherwise, what's the point?

Jason

Forrest
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   

Hey, Liz. You and Jeff and I were all up for the Dick at the same time. And we didn't get Dick! Oh well, maybe our chance will come next time.

Seems like most people here like Dick. I'm wondering if anyone here finds Dick just plain flacid?

Seriously, I really, really do like Pelevin. An excellent author. Dickian and Borgesian at the same time.

Dominy
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 06:50 am:   

As a Brit, I prefer Dick-ends to just plain Dick: Dickwick Papers in particular and particulate.

John Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 11:59 am:   

Haw, what a topic! Can the board live this one down?

Dave G.
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   

I'm not sure I will ever be able to forgive Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone for what they did to my Dick. I had such high hopes...:-(

John Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:19 pm:   

The big thing about Dick is that his name might mean "pen name." The name "Philip" might mean "fill up," as with a fountain pen. Advertised for a unique filling-up process is the Shaffer's Snorkel Pen. "Snorkel" is an alternative for "Dick" in the colloquial. However, that name brand being isn't used in Dick's first name. The name brand used is the last name, which might be the mimeograph manufactured by the A.B. Dick Corporation. However, the name of that office goods corporation might mean "A Big Dick." Furthermore, you have the inherent word play "ABCs" in that last name, reminiscent of the Dick and Jane readers used in elementary grades in schools. Now, if "K" means "aka," you have a fully-contrived pen-name. The first name means "writer," the second name means "printer," and the middle initial refers to a nom-de-plume. But the corporate name "A.B. Dick" sounds like a pseudonym for a corporation, which suggests, or is suggested by, the thought "Would Dick, a nickname and a first name at that, be either a man's last name or the name of a respected corporation?" Likely many have noticed all this, since science fiction fandom has always discussed makes of mimeographs and dittographs, and there's a repressed reaction to the man's name tittering around SF's readership. One of his books is about spirit duplication, too. A dittograph is often known as a "spirit duplicator." Has this man, as a writer, inflicted puns and wordplays on his readership?

Dave G.
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:34 am:   

Hence his naming a character "Horselover Fat," a literal translation of his name?

John Thiel
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   

The SF Book Club, in their e-mailings, has done two items on Phil Dick which portrayed him as having mental problems and doing drugs and living a wretched life. I thought one description of how psycho he is supposed to be was adequate, but maybe they were verifying having that attitude toward him.

Simon Owens
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   

What constitutes a long Dick? Most Dicks I've had were well under 6 inches...thick. That's what was so great about them, they were quick and hit hard. I finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in one day. Is there anywhere I can get my hands around some really long Dick?

Hel
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 03:13 pm:   

wtf

Terry Bramlett
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   

When I was a younger man, I had an old Dick. Somewhere in the vagaries of life and twenty years of marriage, I lost my Dick and I cannot find it. One day I will replace the lost old Dick with a vintage Dick, but until that time, I am one more man without a Dick.

Patrick Swenson
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   

I like when I can get some good Dick at the movie theater. But the pickings are slim. You'd think it would be a novel way to get your fix, but it doesn't always translate well to the movie house. Most of the wannabes I try out are truly Dickless.

John Thiel
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:03 pm:   

I am of the opinion that the protagonist in Dick's "Imposter" represents himself. At the end of the story the identity of this "human bomb" is brought up and it is the key statement causing the 'bot to explode. The story ends "The blast was visible all the way to Alpha Centuri."

Josh Lukin
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   

I keep explaining to people who cite PKD as an influence on him that, by and large, my Temple University colleague Chip Delany does not like Dick. Why do they laugh? No one laughs when it's pointed out that Grant Morrison, although a fan of the Sutin bio, isn't into Dick.

Ltrombi
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   

I just spent the last five minutes laughing myself silly. Thanks all you Dickheads, Dick-o-philes & -phobes, and Dick lovers -- I really needed that.
LT

lwmarti
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:44 am:   

I have just one Dick, and it's a long one, but after 15 years of marriage, it was terribly neglected. I whipped it out again last week and was surprised to find that the experience wasn't as satisfying as I remembered it being.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

You should try having a few more Dicks. I have quite a few. I pick different ones from time to time depending on my mood.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:15 pm:   

I remember watching Marc try to make a new Dick. It looked a lot like the old ones.

Laird
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 05:16 pm:   

But Marc, have you tried two Dicks at once?

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 07:39 am:   

I did and don't recommend it. All Dicks, let's face it, are pretty similar and if you try two at once you might end up forgetting what goes where. Better, I think, to leave a little time between Dicks.

DarrenS
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   

I like a jacket with my hard Dick; not so much with the version I keep in my pocket.

DarrenS
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

Let me try that again:

I like a jacket for my hard Dick; not so much for the version I keep in my pocket.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   

Gordon, as I recall, my attempt to fashion a fake new Dick just made you more appreciative of the real old Dick. After all, why bother with fake Dicks when the real ones are so plentiful? It took me a while to get my mind off Dick, and real Dick is still pleasant from time to time, but the world is full of so many other things. Koontz for instance.

MarcL
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   

Although I must add, Dicks and Koontz aren't really in the same league. (Both have their fans.)

lwmarti
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   

Maybe it would be a good idea to carry a jacket for a hard Dick in your pocket, just in case you find that you need one.

John Thiel
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 05:36 pm:   

Dick writing "hard" sf--haw--that's a good one!

John William Thiel
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 09:57 am:   

Will Dick go up? I noticed topics now rise on the regular forums, and I wondered if they'd rise on the nightshade one if a comment were added.

Dick's being discussed on the Asimov's forum--is it to hidden away here for discussion?

John William Thiel
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 09:59 am:   

It rose like bread.

John William Thiel
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:22 am:   

More sensibly, I saw a fine ad for his newest book on the back of the latest F&SF. Only I didn't like the advertising quote. That kind of book advertising originated on paperback editions of William Seabrook's ASYLUM.

LUKE Jackson
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:34 pm:   

My first Dick was Radio Free Albemuth, an old paperback I picked up from a garage sale, and I believe it remains one of his paranoiac best. My other favorites are Scanner Darkly and Martian Time-Slip.

I didn't care so much for the Sutin bio and preferred the Carrere one. It was more phildickian.

I don't know why my name is in all caps.

John William Thiel
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   

The ENTERPRISE I saw last night seems influenced by "Through A Scanner, Darkly".

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register