Self-nominating -- too cheesy? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Self-nominating -- too cheesy? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matt Hughes
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:32 pm:   

Having been to World Fantasy Convention in 2004, I'm eligible to nominate my The Gist Hunter & Other Stories for the best single-author collection category of the World Fantasy Awards. I've never nominated myself for anything and don't know if it's considered kosher. What do others think?

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 07:25 pm:   

I figure, love yourself. Nominate it. How would you feel if you missed out on the nomination by a single vote?

Sean Wallace
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   

I generally don't vote for books that I've edited or published myself, as I'd feel really strange doing it. It seems rather dodgy to me, so I try to avoid it as much as possible, as it's up to the judges or my peers to make that decision, really. Maybe that's idealism at work, but there you go . . . I say let the people vote.

John Klima
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 02:53 pm:   

I think there's a difference between books you've edited/published as opposed to books you wrote. However, I've never had a problem nominating something I've published/edited.

But, I've never won anything much less made a ballot!

John Klima

Sean Wallace
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 05:28 pm:   

It's hard to say. I think I did nominated a few books or stories that I'd published in the first year that I voted for World Fantasy awards, but I'm increasingly inclined not to do that. There was none on my ballot this year, for example, but I just can't envision voting for something I'd edited or written myself, ever.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   

I bounced this off the SF Canada listserver and generally got a go-for-it response.

I'll think about it. I've never nominated nor voted for myself, not even when I've been shortlisted, as I was for the Aurora last year. Although, if everybody else was doing it, my scruples might seem overly nice.

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

Brendan Connell
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   

Well, I think it depends: Do you really think that this is the best single author collection and feel you are able to judge yourself without too much bias? If you really feel it is the best, then it is probably ok to nominate it. If you don't, or are just nominating it because you wrote it, then maybe it is not a good idea.

des lewis
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   

Best to have it in nemonymous so you don't know it is by yourself! des

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   

For the record, I have decided not to self-nominate.

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

Jason Williams
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   

I've waffled on this, but I never vote for myself anymore. I figure if my vote's gonna be the deciding factor, I don't want the nomination.

BUT, if I did vote for something of mine, I'd be more likely to vote for something I edited because I'd be doing it on behalf of the contributors...that's at least a better rationalization.

I guess it depends on whether you think of awards as just another PR space to occupy or as something with integrity.

JeffV (sorry-Jason--I will make my own password soon!)

Brendan Connell
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   

Just out of curiousity though, lets say you were running for President of the United States. Everyone always votes for themselves. Is there a difference, and if so, what is it? (Or is it just that politicians are less moral than writer's?)

(Also, for the record, I have never voted for myself for anything, and probably insitinctively wouldn't, but am curious about the rationale behind it not being kosher.)

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 05:25 am:   

A political office is a bit different from a purely decorative award.

Sean Wallace
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 07:06 am:   

I'll agree with VanderMeer, in that I want the World Fantasy awards to have meaning, and nominating yourself takes away a little bit of that integrity. It may just be a little difference, but it's a difference, regardless. After all I would be far more pleased to know that my peers made that decision themselves, either to nominate or to win, an award than without much contribution on my part. It means that much more to the recipient, really . . .

Matt Hughes
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 08:59 am:   

My initial stance was that I would not nominate myself. I don't even vote for my stories in JJA's polls. Then I wondered if I was being overly finicky, i.e., that self-nominating was the standard practice and I was handicapping myself by disdaining to wear snowshoes in a snowshoe race.

Now I'm back where I started. But if it was a political race, I would not vote for myself. I would decline the nomination and hide out until it was all over.

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

des lewis
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 10:03 am:   

I would never nominate myself in the same way as I would never put a story of mine in a publication I edited (is that latter point another thread?). Snowshoes in a snowshoe race is a good point, however. But that leads to some people then using skis. Then frictionless motion - leading straight into the greatest frictionlessness of all: death.
des

Brendan Connell
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 01:16 am:   

Ok - so I guess the consensus is pretty clear that self nomination is a no-no :-). Maybe they should make it a rule that people can't nominate themselves to save every one the moral dilemma?

Matt Hughes
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 09:43 am:   

I could see putting a story of mine in an anthology I was editing, if the story suited and if I thought it added to the overall effect.

Matt Hughes
www.archonate.com

Sean Wallace
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 04:43 pm:   

I wouldn't even do that, unless you're so famous that it makes sense. I mean, if you're Peter Beagle and it's a shared-world anthology, that's going to work out, probably. But beyond that the only time I see it these days is in very very very small press anthologies which generally aren't any good anyway. So whenever I see it it makes me question the quality of the contributions and the editor, automatically. I mean, if you're running a good enough anthology you don't need to fall back on your own material to flesh it out, ever. There's almost no excuse for it. The trend has been away from this, in recent years.

Brendan Connell
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 03:09 am:   

Yes, if I ever see the editor's work in an antho I tend to take it less seriously.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   

It's interesting where we run up against our own prejudices. I've never nominated or voted for myself for an award, but I don't really have any problem with it if someone else wants to do so. It's a personal call.

The anthology thing, though, pushes my buttons. I think it's ok to put a story of your own in a reprint anthology where omitting it would compromise the book. For example, I seemed to remember that Jack Dann edited the Nebula Awards anthology the year that his story "Da Vinci Rising" won the award. He pretty much had to include the story. Similarly, I know of some instances where a publisher has made it a condition of sale for an anthology that a celebrity writer/editor have some work in an anthology. That's not quite so cool, but it's understandable. The one I can't go with, though, is when an editor includes a previously unpublished story in an anthology for no other reason than they can. It's never cool, it's never ok. No exceptions. It always strikes me as unprofessional.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register