HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Iron Khan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Iron Khan « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Socrates17
Username: Socrates17

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:41 am:   

Is the cited book still on your schedule?
If not, have the rights reverted to Liz Williams so she can try to sell it elsewhere?
How are the mass market paperbacks of hers doing?

Socrates17

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 08:06 am:   

For any one interested, after copious online searching I found a post by Liz Williams stating that when she finally got through to Night Shade (using an unlisted calling number) she found out that they had dropped her and had been avoiding telling her that. Whether that applies to Iron Khan or not she still doesn't know but she is talking to other publishers.
She stated in a later post that she had gotten a very apologetic post from Jeremy taking full blame and she believed that was a positive step.
Bottom line is, though, for people wanting to read Iron Khan there is still some doubt as to when or if it will be released and by who and in what format. Morningstar will probably be from the new publisher.

Having gone through this with Matt Hughes, whose Hespira FINALLY came out, I don't know what my strategy for dealing with Night Shade should be. I certainly won't buy from them directly (I've heard too many horror stories) but completely boycotting them would both be shooting myself in the foot and punishing brilliant authors such as Paolo Bacigalupi, but I will certainly be cautious in what I hope to see actually released.

Asshurbanipal
Username: Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 05:18 am:   

Hi Socrates
My future strategy for Night Shade Books will be:
frequent visits to their site:
make a list of titles:
pay nothing in advance:
never, never, order anything until it's actually in print.
That may sound harsh, but several of their customers have died between ordering and delivery and I don't want to be one of them. Having said that, they've done some great stuff.

Socrates17

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 02:42 pm:   

Hi Asshurbanipal

I agree that your strategy is for the best. I'm glad that Night Shade is in business. I will continue to buy their books, albeit from Amazon when Amazon states they have stock.

I recognize that running an independent publishing house is a tough thing and it takes great dedication and love of the material, so I certainly wish them all the best.

I'm very grateful for the Liz Williams books that they did publish starting with The Banquet of the Lords of Night and I am particularly grateful for other great books such as The Windup Girl.

Neither, however, do I want the process of getting the literature that I love to become so frustrating that it overwhelms the joy of reading it.

Thanks!!!!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |