Night Shade is currently closed to un... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Night Shade is currently closed to unsolicted submissions? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexander
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:00 am:   

When will it be open to "unsolicted submissions"? And I have a question what are "unsolicted sumbissions"? Does that mean you don't look stories over unless you ask an author to make them? Or does it mean you don't read any MSs by people that don't have literary agents?

Sean Wallace
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   

I'd imagine it means that they're a closed market, except for submissions from agented authors or from word-of-mouth recommendations, courtesy of any number of ways. I run Prime the same way, though I probably don't get all that many from agented authors, as such, and I'd doubt that either one of us would ever be a true open market . . .

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   

We're currently not accepting unsolicted submissions because I've got about 8 feet of slush to read through, and a full schedule through 2006. No point in accepting manuscripts when I'm not buying.

RI
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   

Please, sir, even though you are closed--can you consider my manuscript? It's called "Roses Lost in a Sea of Night on a Bed of Nails" and it's kind of Terminator-meets-Crouching-Tiger-meets-Amelie-meets-Straw-Dogs novel.

It is 350,000 words long but only 45 pages in manuscript because of my advanced miniaturization techniques. I have illustrated it myself with photographs of my naked buttocks, on which I have drawn images of the main characters (this was very hard to do).

You are a very powerful man in the publishing industry and I quaver at your approach, but if you could possibly consider my manuscript, it would make living in this "home" and not having any teeth so much more tolerable for a few more years.

You are my hero. Please consider my manuscript. It's like Klute-meets-Mr-Rogers-meets-Dhalgren-meets-The-Lensmen. Please?

Ratalo Imbroglio III, Jr.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   

+ It's like lute-meets-Mr-Rogers-meets-Dhalgren-meets-The-Lensmen +

Yes, but what do they do after they meet?

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/

RI
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 04:34 pm:   

They kiss

Curious Writer
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:35 am:   

Hi. Are you still closed to unsolicited submissions?

Friendly Writer
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:35 am:   

Hey, Curious, check Night Shade Books' Contact Us page:

"Night Shade is actively seeking submissions, primarily novels. We are looking specifically for science fiction, fantasy and cross-genre novels, but we'll also take a look at dark fantasy and horror novels.

We are not accepting proposals for anthologies. We do them very rarely, and generally they will be developed in-house.

Short story collections are by invitation only. If you think we'd be interested, drop us an email and we'll let you know. Unless you're Stephen King or Dean Koontz, we're not looking for horror short story collections.

We are not accepting poetry, individual stories, non-fiction, crime, or mainstream fiction. We like those as well, but that's not what Night Shade does.

Submissions must be emailed to submissions@nightshadebooks.com. We are no longer accepting printed manuscripts. Length should be 70,000-120,000 words. We do not care what font you use, or whether it's double-spaced. Please include a synopsis in the body of the email, and please attach the ENTIRE manuscript as an RTF file. We're not looking for queries or sample chapters. Unless you email us the entire manuscript with a synopsis, we're just going to delete the email."

Curious Writer
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   

Hi and Thank-you, Friendly Writer!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register