HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Night Shade does a Clark Ashton Smith...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Night Shade does a Clark Ashton Smith 5-vol set « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 03:16 pm:   

Big news for today!

A major event for weird fiction fans! Night Shade is proud to present the Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith in five volumes. Scott Connors and Ron Hilger, editors and Smith experts, are going back to the original manuscripts to prepare a definitive set of texts. The Night Shade edition is authorized by the Estate of CAS, and endorsed by Arkham House. Jason Van Hollander will be doing full color jackets for each volume. Each volume will have an guest introduction (tba) and there will be story notes for each story, prepared by the editors.

The first volume is due in the fall of 2005. After the first volume is released, we will no longer accept subscriptions. Vols. 2 & 3 are due in 2006, vol. 4 & 5 are due in 2007.

Each volume will retail for $39 separately. As always with our classics sets, we're offering a special offer to subscribers.

A subscription will run $150, which is a savings of $45. Also included is free shipping (UPS in the US, Airmail everywhere else). Most importantly, subscribers will receive an extra book, Tales of India and Irony, that will ONLY be available to subscribers. These are Smith's non fantasy/science fiction/horror tales, and will not be part of the five volume set. Table of contents are posted on the website, but I can tell you that it includes an unpublished story, "The Animated Sword."

des
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:11 am:   

That's GREAT news! A landmark. Thanks.
des

brainshades
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 11:11 am:   

Sounds great - question though:

What exactly is being collected? Is it all of the "fantastic fiction", SF, Fantasy and Horror, or is it just limited to Fantasy? (ie the title "Collected Fantasies")

Also, will there be any poetry in the books?

Thanks.

Martinus
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   

Brainshades asked:

<<what>>

Scott Connors answers that question in the forum at http://www.eldritchdark.com .

In short: everything fantastic by CAS, except what is currently in print from Hippocampus Press (i. e., juvenilia) will be in this edition.

I doubt that there will be any poetry since there is a Collected Poems in the making, according to http://www.stjoshi.com/upcoming.html .

AntonyS
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 02:36 am:   

A querry.

Does the US$150.00 include postage and handling to Australia or will that be an additional charge? and if so how much will that cost me.

JKS
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 08:13 am:   

Another query:

I assume the 5 volumes will be uniform, but is the plan to have the bonus book in the same design? And are we going to get all the nice doodads like internal bookmarks and slipcovers?

Measuring space on the mantel,

Jonathan

AntonyS
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:30 am:   

Feeling Stupid

"A subscription will run $150, which is a savings of $45. Also included is free shipping (UPS in the US, Airmail everywhere else)."

Sorry guys, I just read the post carefully again, but I would just like it confirmed that there will be free airmail shipping to Australia. US$150.00 is to me a dear amount and I would like to just get all the details upfront before I put in my order for the items.

I did buy all five volumes of the Manly Wade Wellman short stories and was very happy with both the stories and the books as physical objects and I hope these volumes are better that the Wellman ones.

Thank You

Night Shade Books
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 01:25 am:   

The $150 includes shipping worldwide.

The bonus book will be a tpb. No way we could afford to do a hardcover to give away for free. Nor will there be a slipcase, or a bound-in bookmark. Simply too expensive.

Martinus
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 02:19 am:   

YAY! Free shipping! I didn't even notice that when I ordered. :-)

TPB is fine with me. You can't get even the complete Lovecraft all in hc (you'd need the Hippocampus Press EYES OF THE GOD and THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME: THE CORRECTED TEXT, which are tpb, too).

AntonyS
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 04:06 am:   

Thank You

lwmarti
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:11 am:   

Dang! Between you guys and Wildside, I'm quickly going broke. Wandering Star isn't helping either, but at least they're turning out only one book per year.

Martinus
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:09 am:   

lwmarti, I know how you feel -- yesterday I heard that Meisha Merlin will do the Complete Heinlein... It's lucky for me the CAS offer appeared first! :-)

s-pearce
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 08:25 am:   

Hello

I've just tried to subscribe to the Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith - but a $9 shipping charge was added to the $150 (I'm in the UK)- is there an error in the system or did I miss something?

Regards

Steven

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

Steven,

You won't be charged the shipping. I have no way of telling the website not to add a shipping charge for a particular item. But I run the credit cards manually, so you'll just be charged for the subscription.

Jason

s-pearce
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:27 am:   

Jason

Thanks - I've just placed my subscription.

Steven

kellys
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 10:24 am:   

Hello. Anyone know when volume 1 will be available? Thanks a lot.

Martinus
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 06:04 am:   

The editor addresses this at

http://www.eldritchdark.com/forum/read.php?1,2161

Yrs
Martin

Fred
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

Is this that cute kid who married Demi Moore?

Mat K
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   

I'm new to CAS, and I was on the verge of buying Gollancz's The Emperor in Dreams when I heard of this complete CAS collection. Is this a better buy if I want to get as many Zothique and Averoigne stories as possible? Does it include only his prose or does it have it have some of his poetry and illustrations as well?

Thanks.

Mat K
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:20 am:   

I've read a few of his stories on eldritchdark and I really like them. As long as it is a complete, unabridged collection it would seem to be the best deal.

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |