The Algebraist now available for Pre-... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » The Algebraist now available for Pre-order « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/book.aspx?bookid=124

Tribeless
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   

Well done on getting one of my favourite authors. Any chance of getting an ebook version of this out (via Fictionwise or Palm eReader)?

JKS
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 10:19 am:   

Hi Jeremy,

Just thought all might like to know that 'The Algebraist' has now shown up in Toronto as a Gollancz trade paperback priced at an absolutely outrageous $30 Cdn. Never having read any Banks before, I think I can contain myself until the Night Shade hardback version (which is scheduled for when?), which after currency conversion will be about the same price. That way if I really hate the book, at least I'll have a nice edition to sell on e-bay! :-)

best,

Jonathan

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   

well, for once, the plumetting dollar helps us out. With the Dollar so weak against the Euro/pound, its easy for us to compete,price wise against the "A" size trade paperback imports. The "b" sized, smaller trade paperbacks will probalby be tougher to compeate against

How's the Canadian dollar doing? Has it retained is value against the euro? if so, then perhaps there are some other weird pricing factors going on.... Thanks for the heads up.

-Jeremy

JKS
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 04:07 pm:   

Surprisingly, the Canadian dollar is doing ok against all currencies. Against the US dollar, it surged last year from about .62 to a high of about .83, though it has weakened lately to about .80. However, if interest rates rise in the US, coupled with apparently little diminution of the view worldwide of the greenback as the 'safe' currency of choice (most recently displayed by South Korean disinclination to sell their massive US$ holdings), the Canadian dollar will probably drop eventually to its historic range of .76-.78 per greenback.

No, being an bank auditor and therefore one of those nasty suspicious sorts, I’m thinking the cost for the Gollancz Trade of ‘The Algebraist’ is just a little extra something for the publisher. Call me cynical, but although the book is clearly marked ‘Not For Sale In The US’ given the proximity, I wonder how many copies will find themselves south of the border.

However the exchange rate also meant last year was a very good year to buy pricey US specialty hardcovers; :-) a fact of which I took full advantage!

…although now fucking Customs stops every package to charge GST, which doesn’t really bug me (I mean 7%? Fair enough, couple of bucks, whatever, eh?). NO what really pisses me off is the $5 ‘handling fee' on top of that per package!!! So now I tend to ‘group’ my orders: Dealing with the best one bookstore I can find (Clarkesworld Books) for much of my US internet shopping.

I kept telling the wife 'Think of the return this investment will generate!' *Sigh* Catherine came right back with, *The Collection* is essentially valueless! You couldn't bear to part with any of it! *Deeper Sigh* Yes, dear...uhm, can I get you some flowers?

Which again leads to the uncomfortable question of what to do with it all when I'm gone?

I mean, do I allow the fruits of my 30 years of collecting be broken up and sold off for filthy lucre, or do I do something like donating to the University for a tax write-off?

I have to admit that I'm leaning towards the 'Viking Pyre' solution to everything! :-)

best,

Jonathan

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 04:56 am:   

The Algebraist is scheduled for a September release.

JKS
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:28 am:   

Hey Jeremy,

Was thinking of my last post, so today I went and had another look at the book. I was basing my comments on the price of Gary Gibson's 'Angel Station' (which I am currently loving!) which is 10.99 pounds or $22.95 Cdn from TOR UK. I thought the price for the Banks was also 10.99 from Gollancz but it's actually 12.99 or $30 Cdn (and a thicker book, but still an 'A' sized TP). Now given the current BOC exchange rate of 2.3716 dollars to the pound, the UK prices would work out to $26.06 and $30.81 respectively. Which means I probablly don't know what the fuck I'm talking about!

Any apologies required are hereby tendered forthwith! :-)

regards,

Jonathan

JKS
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   

NIGHTSHADE EDITION SUCKS.

Dear Jeremy,

This is the first time I've ever been really disappointed by a Nightshade offering. After reading Dan Simmons masterful retelling of the Iliad in 'Iluim' and 'Olympos' while on vacation in Cancun I was ready for some more far flung adventuring, so I turned to my pile of books-to-be-read and picked out the limited of Watson's 'The Algebraist' of which I have written above.

Now I don't have much truck with Ian Watson after remembering that I had read 'The Wasp Factory'. To paraphrase Spider Robinson on Harlan Ellison's 'I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream', "Sure it's a work of genius, but it contains more ugliness per line than any other story ever written, and I don't want it in my library, thank you very much", but I had read good things about ‘The Algebraist’ (it was a Hugo Finalist fer Ghod's sake!), so I decided to give it a go.

*Sigh* I bought this edition itself on the Nightshade name. Would have been cheaper (and earlier) to pick up the Gollancz trade paperback but I'm on record as saying that Nightshade produces some of the nicest editions, so I'm willing to take a chance on writers previously unknown or marginally known to me. Liz Williams springs to mind. So does Zoran Zivkovic, Rhys Hughes, M. John Harrison and Mathew Hughes, so I figured, knowing what kind of editions Nightshade usually produces, "if I really hate the book, at least I'll have a nice edition to sell on e-bay!" What a mistake.

Y’know, if you’re going to offer a limited edition at $49 bucks, compared to the regular edition at $25, it should really be an event. I mean something special. Hey, I’m cool with the usual Nightshade bookmark instead of the slipcase; personally I love the bookmark but that’s just me, but when I opened the book, sans slipcover, sans bookmark, appearing to be glued not bound, and if that’s leather, it must be the cheapest ever produced, I had that sinking feeling, and thought, what a fucking waste of my money.

Oh, but look! It has a bound in signature sheet! Triple whoopee.

I’m also on record as despising Bill Schafer of Subterranean Press, and I wrote him a really nasty letter after I received the lettered edition of Silverberg’s ‘Phases of the Moon’ but in that letter I was forced to say “I have to admit that it is a lovely beast!” This wasn’t even close.

I really hope this was a momentary aberration but until I’m satisfied to was, don’t expect me to shell out the big bucks again.

Jonathan K. Stephens

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   

Jonathan,
We never said there was going to be anything more then leather binding and a sig page. If you had expectations for this edition, and aren't happy with it, I'm sorry. We never tried to imply otherwise. Our web site lists exactly what constitutes our limited editions. Some of our limited editions have interesting and cool extras, and some don't... often it is up to the whim of author, and what they are willing to make available.

If you purchased the book directly from us, and want a refund, please feel free to contact me directly via email, and we can work something out. If you purchased it from someone else, perhaps they would be willing to exchange it for you.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Lassen
Night Shade Books

JKS
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:37 am:   

Dear Jeremy,

Many thanks for your prompt and courteous reply. Your response has done much to sooth my annoyance with the edition. I will certainly take your advice and very carefully peruse the edition description before buying.

However, I had always taken for granted that Night Shade Books would be stitched, not glued. Indeed, looking at a few other Night Shade books from last year, limiteds of 'Gist Hunter', 'Snake Agent' and the regular edition of 'Dead in The West', I note that all of these books are stitched. Could you please advise me whether or not this glued edition of 'The Algebraist' was a once-only occurrence? And if not, could you please specify this fact in future descriptions.

Additional thanks for your gracious offer to accept a return; however I did buy it through Clarkesworld Books. Canadian Customs charges $5 per package so I have got into the habit of saving up all the American Editions I want and placing a quarterly order with Neil. Now while I'm sure Neil would accept a return, the fact is I started reading it last night (I'm at the point where Lord Psycho is off to spread damage and destruction throughout the universe. Yep, it's definitely a Watson book, but the writing is not as much in-yer-face ugliness as I remember from 'The Wasp Factory'), so it would feel wrong to return a used book.

All the best to you and The Shade in '06.

Jonathan

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   

Iain Banks NOT Ian Watson.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register