HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Suggestions Two [electric boogaloo]

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Suggestions Two [electric boogaloo] « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   

[Please continue to post new suggestions here, but do take a look at the previous suggestions thread to see if your suggestion has already been mentioned]

Simon Owens
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   

Aimee Bender hasn't published a collection in five years or so. You could snag her up before some other publisher does.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   

On her website she announces:

>>>Good news is I'll have a new book of stories out in September.

SimonO
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 08:53 am:   

excellent. someone needs to convince her to start sending submissions to genre markets so the genre community can discover her.

mastadge
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:22 am:   

WILLFUL CREATURES, August 16

cover

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   

Not sure if anyone's heard about it, but I've just received a photocopy of Kilmornock's Ferelith, which is one of those obscure gothic/fantasy titles that it seems many have heard of but nobody has read. Considering reprinting it.

mastadge
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   

Never even heard of it.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 03:42 pm:   

It's the kind of title Tartarus would do.

jharinga
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 05:35 am:   

How about a uniform edition of Algernon Blackwood's supernatural tales and novels in hardcover a la your Hodgson and Wellman sets?

I don't know how much he's written lately, but I'd love to see another book by Matt Cardin, too. One that reprints the long story "Teeth" from The Children of Cthulhu antho.

~Jack~

Night Shade Books
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 07:27 am:   

I considered the Blackwood idea, but I believe someone else is already working on it.

As to Matt Cardin, I've let him know that I was interested, we'll see if anything comes of it.

MarcL
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:01 pm:   

Michael Shea has a few unsold horror novels. MOMMA DURTT, CANNYHARME, and another whose name eludes me.... Have you seen these? Asked to see them? If you're interested and need contact info, let me know.

Martinus
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   

I was thinking of Erik Granström's fantasy novel SVAVELVINTER (first in a projected trilogy), published in Swedish last year. It was easily the best book I read in Swedish last year, and I think it deserves to reach a wider audience. It's got Machiavellian intrigue, metafictive plot hooks, satire, epic events, and characters that are grey rather than black-and-white. And no Tolkienesque elves or orcs! :-)

Marcus
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:08 am:   

The compleat shorter works of Robert Reed

Michael Walsh
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:13 pm:   

R. Lionel Fanthorpe done in manga style!

Swan
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:32 pm:   

Aickman, Robert -- the unpublished novel _Go Back at Once_.

Cady, Jack -- a "best of" collection also featuring his uncollected short stories.

Carroll, Jonathan -- _The Panic Hand_ expanded to include his uncollected stories.

Davidson, Avram -- an omnibus edition of _The Phoenix and the Mirror_, _Vergil in Averno_ and _The Scarlet Fig_ as well as any of the uncollected Vergil short stories.

Disch, Thomas M. -- the unpublished novels _The Pressure of Time_ and _A Troll of Surewood Forest_.

Hoban, Russell -- an expanded edition of _The Moment Under the Moment_.

Lindsay, David -- _The Violet Apple_ and _The Witch_.

Lupoff, Richard -- the author's preferred edition of _Space War Blues_. Hopefully featuring the author's preferred title as well.

McCammon, Robert R. -- the unpublished novel _The Village_.

Peake, Mervyn -- a "collected poems" volume.

Stuart, Frank S. -- _Elephant in Jet_.

Tem, Steve Rasnic -- a "best of" collection of short stories.

Visiak, E.H. -- _The Haunted Island_, _The Medusa_ and the unpublished novel _The Shadow_.

Wagner, Karl Edward -- _Exorcisms And Ecstasies_.

Womack, Jack -- a short story collection.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:49 pm:   

Not enough stories by Jack Womack. He's only written about 5 total and isn't writing any new ones (no time).

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   

The Complete Howard Waldrop, in two volumes. Mmmmm.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   

FYI, we're just wrapping up negotiations to do a 2-volume set of Karl Edward Wagner's horror fiction. First vol in 2006, second in 2007.

I thought Midnight House was reprinting The Medusa?

We are planning a mini-collection of Jack Cady's uncollected fiction at some point.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 09:18 pm:   

Marc, Michael Shea has just sent me Cannyharme to look at, and I'll be reading it soon.

Steve Tem
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 07:15 am:   

I would eagerly buy M (Mary) Rickert's first collection. All I know about her is her by-line, but I think she's writing some of the most interesting stories of "domestic anxiety" around. If she keeps it up, she's going to be a significant presence.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

I believe Golden Gryphon is doing a Rickert collection.

William Elliott
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   

Sterling Lanier's The Peculiar Exploits of Brigadier Ffellowes should appeal to fans of Jorkens. Ffellowes tells about his adventures which usually include a supernatural twist. Would love to see reprint of it since you can't find a copy of the 1969 edition under $150.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 10:11 am:   

I remember a children's fantasy that I much enjoyed at the age of twelve: The Pirates in the Deep Green Sea by Eric Linklater.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com/a-little-learning

MarcL
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 02:19 pm:   

Cool about Cannyharme!

Night Shade Books
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   

I just picked up copies of both Ffellowes books, and will be reading them with an eye towards reprinting if I think it's our kind of thing. I've long heard about the books, but never actually read them.

billc
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   

The Ffellows stuff is wonderful but I think the second volume is still in print (if that matters). Beyond that there are enough other uncollected Lanier stories to make a decent book.

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   

I love the Brigadier Ffellowes stories. Lanier did a lovely job with them, and they do kind of fit with some of the stuff NS has been doing. If I recall correctly, there have been two collections, <em>The Peculiar Exploits of Brigadier Ffellowes</em> and <em>The Curious Quests of Brigadier Ffellowes</em>, which overlap slightly, and maybe a few uncollected tales. A Compleat Ffellowes would be a way cool book.

william elliott
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   

I'm excited to hear that you're reading Brigadier Ffellowes. I agree with a previous message that an omnibus edition would be great.

FYI - Michael Dirda has mentioned that he's a fan in his weekly online session at the Washington Post site.

Anders Monsen
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:53 am:   

I echo the statement above regarding Michael Shea. There's enough material from the 1980s to the present to fill one large volume of previously uncollected work. Shea also has three finished novels, according to his website, all seeking homes, and well-suited to Night Shade's current catalog. Glad to see that you're reading Cannyharme

Roger
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:03 pm:   

Regarding the Brigadier Ffellowes series: I have both volumes in front of me. There is no overlap between the 2 books. As for uncollected Ffellowes stories, I can't find any listed in the Locus bibiliographies.

Roger
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 11:46 am:   

Any possibility of a Daniel Keyes collection? The only Keyes collection was published by Hayakawa in Japanese.

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   

The Manuscript Found in Saragossa, by Jan Potocki, in the long out of print Elisabeth Abbott translation, and in one volume instead of two. Pretty please.

Rhys
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   

*The Strange Journeys of Colonel Polders* -- Lord Dunsany

Martinus
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 12:49 am:   

I'll echo Rhys. ANYTHING by Dunsany is worth recommending! Even though I haven't read this book and don't know anything about it, I would buy it if it were available.

Rhys
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 04:35 am:   

It's one of his hardest books to find. It's also one of his best and has been out of print (as far as I'm aware) for ages.

Maybe I'm a bit unusual but I prefer Dunsany's novels to his short stories. I also like the way his sense of humour and irony developed as he got older. His later work is much drier and more amusing than his early work (which I also rate highly).

The only exception is *The Last Revolution*, his last published novel, which I found a bit weary and uninteresting.

des
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 06:04 am:   

THE CHARWOMAN'S SHADOW is brilliant!

GabrielM
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   

I have a copy of COLONEL POLDERS, which is quite good. It's another of Dunsany's works in which a person remembers his past lives as an animal. Dunsany liked to play around with that idea -- in MY TALKS WITH DEAN SPANLEY, a fellow remembers his past life as a dog when he gets sufficiently drunk.

des
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 12:22 am:   

Rhys says he prefers (perhaps unusually) Dunsany's novels to his stories. I do, too, though I love his stories.
Another writer whose novels are often underestimated is Algernon Blackwood. He wrote quite a few. My two favourites are:
JIMBO
THE FRUIT STONERS
des

Jim Rockhill
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:50 am:   

Still waiting for all of my requests from the previous thread to appear in print. Heh-heh!

The Avram Davidson Vergil Omnibus is a wonderful idea. The second novel seems to have dropped out of print within weeks. I do not know anyone who managed to find it before ragged second-hand copies began appearing for outrageous prices. A limited edition of THE SCARLET FIG was jut printed in the U.K.

Any reissue of Dunsany is welcome.

Like Roger I am not aware of any uncollected Ffellowes tales, and I do not recall any overlap between the two collections. Nonetheless, having all of them in one place would be very nice.

Jim

Jim Rockhill
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:53 am:   

More Michael Shea too, please. POLYPHEMUS is long out of print and there are at least enough uncollected stories to swell a second volume.

Jim

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:13 am:   

>>A limited edition of THE SCARLET FIG was jut printed in the U.K.

I received my copy a few days ago. It's a nice edition, too.

But more than a Vergil omnibus I would prefer to see a reprint of the unobtainable ADVENTURES IN UNHISTORY.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:09 am:   

Gabriel, years ago I read an animal incarnation story that might have been by Dunsany: There was a man who obsessively traced a pattern with his finger, with the intention of demonstrating that reincarnation is real. He figured that if he were reincarted, his reborn self would possess the same ingrained finger-tic. Some time after his death, the teller of the story is in the garden of the dead man's house when he notices a snail tracing the pattern over and over again....

I believe this was in August Derleth's NIGHT'S YAWNING PEAL, so I should be able to go look the damn thing up myself.

But ever since reading this story as a young teen, I notice I have my own obsessive-compulsive tic. I pick letters or words out of conversation or reading, and repeatedly trace them in the air with a finger.

Unless this is a result of a forgotten Montessori experiment.

I wonder if other writers share this tic.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:12 am:   

Yes, I just checked. The snail story is Dunsany's "The Sign." I hadn't realized it was a recurrent theme for him (I've mainly read his fantasy tales collected in the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series of the 70's).

GabrielM
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   

I'd forgotten about that one, but yup, that's another example. It's a Jorkens story if memory serves. I actually have a copy of the Arkham House Derleth antho you mention, so maybe I read it there as well or in whichever Jorkens anthology it's featured in.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   

Embarrassingly for me, it's in one of the Nightshade Jorkens anthologies. So all you all have already read it!

Swan
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   

Night Shade Books earlier said "We are planning a mini-collection of Jack Cady's uncollected fiction at some point."

I am aware of the following uncollected pieces (but I could be mistaken and/or missing others):

"Fog"
"The Parable Of Satan's Adversary"
"Point Vestal"
"Seven Sisters"
"The Souls Of Drowning Mountain"
"The Twenty Pound Canary"

And the following poems from _The Devil's Wine_: "Handsprings, Them Salt Lake Papas, Love Poem 25 Words Or Less, Love Poem For C, Joseph Conrad, Love Poem For The Ex, Cocktail Party, We Visit Mount Rainier, One More (^#&*(*) Rejection Slip" and "Love Poem For C."

Swan
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 08:08 pm:   

There is too much out-of-print and uncollected Fritz Leiber short fiction; especially his dark fantasy/horror work. The four Midnight House collections were limited to 450/500 copies -- so, of course, they are now obscenely expensive; additionally, the first two volumes (and possibly the last two) abound in typos. Yes, I am aware that there is a POD edition of The Black Gondoliers, but that seems insufficient.

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   

Hmm. I would have thought someone would have reprinted Dark Harvest's 50 Years of Leiber, which was a good collection. Don't know if anyone could get rights etc - but a two volume selected stories could be extremely cool.

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

I'll second this. I have his Fafhrd and Mouser stories in the Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks editions, and Tor's omnibus of Conjure Wife and Our Lady of Darkness, but a whole lot of his fiction, particularly his short fiction is way out of print. I'd love to see some Fritz Leiber coverage in your classics line!

Jreston
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 11:00 am:   

A couple of people have suggested Avram Davidson books (a Vergil omnibus, a reprint of Adventures in Unhistory). Those are good ideas, but before that, I would really like to see more previously uncollected Avram Davidson stories assembled in a book. There are still enough good uncollected fantasy, science fiction, mystery and just plain unclassifiable stories by Davidson to fill another top-notch collection (maybe two).

Looking forward to the Jack Cady mini-collection. After that, I think a complete collection of all Cady's stories could fit in one large volume.

Don Mayers
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   

Obviously blasphemous, but commissioning a number of authors to submit a short story featuring KEW's Kane would be quite an treat. Of course, I am still hoping someone will take over the task of turning "At first just ghostly" into a full length novel.

Chris Johnson
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   

I may be late responding to some of these wish lists, but Centepede Press has put out a collection of Kuttner/Moore; Medusa Press has put out a collection of John Gordon's supernatural tales; and the Whitehead is coming out by Ash Tree.

I wonder when John Pelan will have "Medusa" out? Time will tell...

Brad M Saenz
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:48 pm:   

David Wingrove's Chung Kuo series was a fantastic read and never got the support it should have. It's not old enough to be considered a "classic" reprint, but it absolutely deserves to be in print!!!

Dave Olson
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   

Dennis Schmidt - The Twilight of the Gods Trilogy (a fantastic trilogy that borrowed elements from Norse, Babylonian, and other mythologies, into a great fantasy trilogy)

Simon R. Green - Blue Moon Rising (this was the starting point of his Hawk & Fisher fantasy mysteries, which would also be great re-prints)

Andrew Offutt & Richard Lyon - A single volume reprint of their War of the Wizards trilogy.

Ken Bulmer writing as Dray Prescott or Alan Burt Akers - Reprints of the Antares series, especially those books that were only printed in German. Maybe each 5 book cycle as it's own hardback or trade paperback? Even as just trade paperbacks these would be greatly appreciated, and given the number of attempts there have been on the internet to even get E-Book versions, I think the market is there (I hope)

paul walker
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   

Some good suggestions here, props to the person who mentioned Lafcadio Hearn! I'd like to suggest the Prester John/Wan Tengri series by Norvell Page and the Black Company books by Glen Cook.

Also, should you ever consider doing anymore limited editions, what about Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant or Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy? I may be wrong, but I don't Hobb's first trilogy was ever released in hardback in the US. If Sub Press can get people to pay lots o' dough for series like these, I'm sure you could too!

Alan frackelton
Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 08:16 am:   

I did a quick keyword search, so I don't think either of these have been mentioned in this or the previous thread:

Pat Cadigan. It's got to be a good decade plus since her last collection (Dirty Work, I think), so a new one would be very welcome.

Also, what about The Collected Stories of Charles L. Grant, or at least a generous 'Best Of'? As far as I know there are no plans elsewhere to bring his short fiction back into print, let alone collect all the uncollected stories.

Alan frackelton
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 03:29 am:   

Let's see, a Wagner top 3: "Where the Summer Ends", "Sticks", and "The River of Night's Dreaming". All from his first (and, I think, best) collection In A Lonely Place.

Halojonesfan
Username: Halojonesfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:10 am:   

Any chance you'll pick up WJW's "Metropolitan"?

Blue_tyson
Username: Blue_tyson

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:37 am:   

What did happen with the Kane books? Did they just sell out and that was that, rights over or something?
Free SF Reader
Not Free SF Reader
Super Reader - Superhero Prose Fiction List and Ratings

Blue_tyson
Username: Blue_tyson

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 08:00 pm:   

If there are more webscription books, apart from more Glen Cook, the odd Eclipse would be great.

Not to mention the Year's Bests.

Although I guess with the latter two you might have the occasional problems with stupid, stupid authors not doing electronic.

Still, be great anyway. :-)
Not Free SF Reader

Free SF Reader

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |