The Warm Wind of Palestine, by Scott ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » The Warm Wind of Palestine, by Scott Crye « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Reynolds
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 02:58 pm:   

I recently read this book and wanted to pass along the good word. I bought it from Barnes and Nobles, but later I saw that Amazon had it for less.

Book Summary:

Jenna is a young, beautiful, strong-willed woman; she is also a highly respected doctor and conducts research in one of the most sophisticated and cutting-edge fields of medicine.
However, she is also a Palestinian...in a post 9/11 America, a nation bristling with hostility towards a culture and area of the world about which they know very little. Fortunately for her, since her move to the town of Springfield, she has made many good friends, including the Larsens, who are so warm and welcoming that they slowly begin to fill that painful void in Jenna's life: the loss of her family to a "mistake" bombing by the Israeli Armed Forces.
Their generosity and concern for her safety and well-being knows no bounds; Jenna develops a deep friendship withthem, which ultimately proves itself in the face of a tragic accident. This young woman's story is one of courage under fire-the fire of prejudice, hostility, bigotry and chauvinism.
Thanks to her friends and colleagues, who see and love her for who she is-not what she wears or how she looks-there can be a reconciliation of cultural differences between East and West, a peaceful symbiosis that is rare amidst the ignorance and fear which abounds in the face of the unknown. Jenna undermines all the misconceptions of a culture construed to be so different from the American one.
The story of her enduring friendship with the "all-American" Larsen family provides a heart-warming blueprint for a world without prejudice, a world which finally accepts that cultural differences are merely superficial and that, deep inside, we are all built of the same flesh and blood.

MarcL
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:01 pm:   

I don't see any mention of sentient eldritch fungi. Doubt I'd like it. Who's with me?

Lucius
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 04:43 pm:   

Count me in on the sentient eldritch fungi thing...

Bob K.
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 06:48 pm:   

"Deep inside, we we are all built of the same flesh and blood" -- eww. So what do the Larsen's do to her to find this out? And why their curiosity in this regard? Could it be that they are . . . not American?

Bob

Byron Bailey
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 08:43 pm:   

"The story of her enduring friendship with the "all-American" Larsen family provides a heart-warming blueprint for a world without prejudice, a world which finally accepts that cultural differences are merely superficial and that, deep inside, we are all built of the same flesh and blood."

So it's a near future dystopia?

Bushwhacked
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 08:53 am:   

Thanks for stopping by and telling us about your book, Scott.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:00 am:   

MarcL, Lucius, BobK: Why the sarcasm? What is it about the story summary that you don't like? Is it that it seems pro-Palenstinian? Why debunk a book without reading it or without giving it a benefit of doubt? You guys sound like snobbish know-alls.

Bob K.
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:15 am:   

"Is it that it seems pro-Palenstinian?" Uh, no. Actually, I think we all have some sympathy for the Palestinians. And we don't have anything against the book, either, except that it's being promoted here. What does this book have to do with Night Shade Books and the type of literature they publish?

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:51 am:   

It just looks like bookspam, curiously untailored to the quite obvious interests of this board. It's just a matter of respect. I wouldn't go to the Palestinian fiction forum and rave about "The Shoggoth's Over Innsmouth."

If someone has a book to recommend, whatever its merits, there are plenty of threads on the various boards here devoted to "What I'm Reading," etc. You will find many discussions of general literature there, quite devoid of Night-Shade hallmarks. For instance, there's a discussion of Jane Eyre going on in another thread which I will leave you to discover for yourself.

The apparently random recommendation directly above this one came from me, and it was something I thought Night Shade Book readers would be explicitly interested in because it is a story set in William Hope Hodgson's THE NIGHT LAND, and Night Shade is currently reprinting all of Hodgson's original work. Thus, it sorta fits on this board.

As it is, this reads like the book-recommendation-equivalent of penile enlargement spam.

MarcL
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 10:00 am:   

Also, the original poster of the Warm Wind recommendation gets the author's name wrong. According to Amazon (see, I did my research), the author is not Scott Crye, but S. Crye Scott. This led me to suspect that the forum-poster is not the book's author, but a well intentioned friend, relation, or someone with a financial interest in the book. Rather like this thread here:

http://www.nightshadebooks.com/discus/messages/53/3277.html?1097015579

"Zaybu" turns out to be the wife of the author of the book recommended in that thread. She also got flak for posting in a forum without making an attempt to understand its readership, or making any other contributions to the site. That one at least had a sort of weird/sci-fi quality, so it didn't stand out quite so blatantly as being totally inappropriate.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:16 am:   

Yeah! I have to agree with you on the spam aspect of the posting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register