Huge Sale at Night Shade Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Huge Sale at Night Shade « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Williams
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   

The short version: Until midnight Tuesday, PST, we are running a massive sale on everything in stock and all forthcoming titles. By entering HSN in the coupon code on our order form, you can get 50% off of your order. There is a three-book minimum to get the discount. If you want to know why, read on. Otherwise, go to our website and buy a lot of books!

Generally speaking, it's been a great year. We've sold a whole lot of books. But certain dealers and wholesalers seem to believe they are exempt from paying on time, and in fact seem to think that paying us only after we've chased them for several months is a great idea. I don't happen to admire the practice much.

More than a few times in the past I've sold my books, my dvds, borrowed money, maxed out credit cards.... not because we hadn't sold any books, but because people didn't think paying us for them was a priority. Every book we've done in the past two years has been profitable, and yet we're always short to pay the printer, late paying advances, etc. And I'm starting to get annoyed about it.

So here we are, and once again we've been told "Oh, you'll have your money in a few weeks" by an extremely large international book wholesaler (Baker & Taylor for those in the know), as well as by a large number of independent booksellers. Except I have a printer who wants money, and is holding a couple of books until they get it. And they don't want to wait a few weeks, and I can't say as I blame them. And I'm tired of selling my books and dvds, and I'm tired of borrowing money.

So we're offering a giant sale, and we need to raise several thousand dollars in a short amount of time. Like, say, by next week. So if there's anything we've done or are doing that you've had your eye on, now's the time.

Jim Rockhill
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:13 pm:   

Jason:

What dogs to put you in a spot like this! I just ordered what I could and contacted some friends.

Best,

Jim

Mastadge
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:17 pm:   

I'll probably make an order tomorrow, when I'm not too tired to think. :-)

"Using the HSN coupon"

Do we just type HSN into the coupon box in the order form?

Night Shade Books
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   

Yep, type HSN in the Coupon Code box on the order form, and get some books for muy cheap!

And Jim, I know exactly how you feel. Deepdiscountdvd is running a 20% off sale this weekend, and I have no money! Argh.

Robert Burke Richardson
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:11 am:   

Couple of quick questions: does this work on pre-orders, and do you ship to Canada?

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:05 am:   

Yes, and yes, (despite what our current web site says).

Jeremy Lassen
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:07 am:   

http://www.livejournal.com/users/nihilistic_kid/453943.html

See nick pimp the shade.
See nick defend the shade.
See nick get the last word in.
Don't fuck with nick.
;)

Mastadge
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:56 am:   

Okay, I've done my part. Maybe my bank account will forgive me.

Gordon Van Gelder
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:44 am:   

Jason---

At the Nebulas a few years ago, Betty Ballantine said that something very similar happened to Ballantine Books back in the 1950s (I think). I remember hearing her talk about their problems and thinking, jeez, it really does happen to _everyone_ in this business.

Anyway, I hope you're able to weather this drought---your idea of a sale sounds like it will do the trick. I hope a lot of people pass the word along.

Kage Baker
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:17 pm:   

Well, I just bought 4 books, and if THE GHOST PIRATES AND OTHER REVENANTS OF THE SEA had been out yet, it woulda been 5.

And I'm living on what a writer/customer serviceperson makes.

Anybody care to take up a challenge?

Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:42 pm:   

I also done bought me some books, and passed along the word. Hope it all helps.

Deborah
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 03:11 pm:   

Me, too. Hope it works, guys.

ben wooller
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:19 pm:   

I've ordered some! (Hmm, hope I remembered to put in the HSN code!! Oh well!)

Hope this helps some.

chris ward
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:24 am:   

Hi,

Does the "yes" to the Canadian question above apply to other international orders ? Or just to Canadian ones ? :-)

Cheers - Chris (in the uk)

chris ward
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:30 am:   

oops, just found the answer to my question buried in the "livejournal" link above.

So to answer my own question in case anyone else wondered (and to save the guys at NS the bother) : looks like delivery abroad is ok.

best - chris

JJA
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 07:49 am:   

Maybe that starred review of Kage Baker's new book in Publisher's Weekly will help sales a bit too. At least it came just in time for the great sale.

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:27 am:   

Mother Aegypt is already selling ridiculously well, even before the review. I think we're going to probably have to reprint before long.

10 books this year, and every single one is selling like mad. I must have been a really nice guy in a former life or something.

Mastadge
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:29 pm:   

So . . . how's the sale going? Did you make what you needed to make?

Night Shade Books
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 03:13 pm:   

We actually made more than we needed to make, which worked out well, as I found out that our other wholesaler, Ingram, screwed up our check this month and shorted us several thousand dollars.

You can't win sometimes.

Kage Baker
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:43 pm:   

Ah, but your star is in the ascendant.

I still remember my first virgin shock of surprise at discovering that a Big Publishing House actually did things in a rather incompetent and half-assed way.

The little mammals win out over the dinosaurs, every time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register