Recent reads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Recent reads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Night Shade Books
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 02:08 am:   

Lots of good stuff lately.

Picked up Neal Asher's Polity books: Gridlinked, The Skinner and The Line of Polity. Outstanding stuff! Neal is now on my 'read immediately' stack. Sort of a cross between Peter Hamilton, China Mieville and Richard Morgan. Gridlinked is out in the US, and The Skinner should be out this month from Tor. The Line of Polity is out in the UK, and well worth the import price.

Just finished The Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross. So damn good it hurts. Along the lines of Tim Powers' Declare. Secret British goverment agency that fights the occult. Stross describes it as Lovecraft meets Len Deighton meets Neal Stephenson. Stross has obviously worked IT. As an ex-IT vet myself, I love him.

Bookman's Promise - John Dunning. The new Cliff Janeway novel. About as good as Bookman's Wake. Liked it, but it didn't blow me away. All about the explorer Richard Burton. Got me interested enough to pick up some Dover tpbs of Burton's stuff, as well as a biography of Burton. I'm a sucker for explorers anyway.

Michael Korda - Another Life. Korda was/is? a senior editor at Simon & Schuster, and this is his memoirs of 50 years in publishing. Fascinating, at least if you're me.

I know I've read a bunch of other stuff lately, but I'm completely spacing on what it is.

Next on the to-read pile is the new Bruce Sterling novel, Stross' Singularity Sky and John Crowley's collected stories volume (that I wish had had a hardcover.) Also on the pile is the new Al Reynolds novel (Absolution Gap), the new Mary Gentle collection (Cartomancy), the new Mary Gentle novel (1610) and Market Forces, the new one from Richard Morgan.

chronic_lurker
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 04:45 pm:   

"and John Crowley's collected stories volume (that I wish had had a hardcover.)"

And voilą!, it does, or more precisely, will.

http://www.limebooks.co.uk/0380731061/novelties-and-souvenirs-a-novel/john-crowl ey

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 05:12 pm:   

I think that's a mistake; that's the same ISBN as the US edition.

GabrielM
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:33 pm:   

In the US, at least, for the time being it's coming out only in trade paper. And yes, I wish it were otherwise.

Although, come to think of it, Otherwise also was issued only in TPB.

Martinus
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 04:16 am:   

Yes, THE ATROCITY ARCHIVES is very, very good, I think. I'm reading it now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register