HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Re: They're Coming

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Re: They're Coming « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jks
Username: Jks

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 03:22 pm:   

Hi Guys,

I do like to be kept up to date so Many Thanks! for the news.

As someone who has three titles on order from the list, I do have some general thoughts on publishing schedules that I've articulated elsewhere (if memory serves, I think it was on the late, lamented TTA boards regarding PS being late on a couple of their titles).

To recapitulate: I really don't mind waiting a while longer than originally planned because I take a long term view. I plan on having these books in my library for, what, another 20 or 30 years, Ghod willing, so I'd much rather you take the time (a year or two, or whatever) and get it done right, rather than trying to rush things and have a botched job taking up precious space.

Night Shade enjoys a good reputation (I've bought from them for years myself and they've done me right a couple of times), so I'm really not worried about these titles eventually appearing, but I am rather curious to hear what other book collectors think.

regards,

Jonathan K. Stephens

Asshurbanipal
Username: Asshurbanipal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 01:53 pm:   

Hi Jonathan
Much of what you say is fine, but of course a book doesn't have to be botched to be out on time. I think I'm right in saying that only 8 out of 23 books scheduled for publication by NSB between May-December 2008 have actually made it to print, and without wishing to denigrate anybody's reputation, that isn't a great percentage, and these delays seem to have become institutional with NSB (no offence intended). Also, some of us probably don't have 20-30 years left. Some books are very late, and we're talking about four years or more, and although I appreciate that there are many things that can go wrong, the sense of frustration felt by some customers is very real. The books themselves are excellent, otherwise I wouldn't order them, but I also buy direct from a number of other publishers in the same field and delays with them are measured only in months, if at all. This feels like a hostage situation, with many deadlines having passed for WHH5, although now we have a definite date of March 30th, so that will be great, and April 15th for CAS4. Yes, I've been offered a refund, but, no, thanks, I want the books. Well, that's enough from an old man. Peace, love, shalom, whatever.

Eds
Username: Eds

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   

I'm not confident that the new schedule is any more credible than the last one or the one before that. I just finished canceling a couple Night Shade books on Amazon because they were preventing my orders from shipping - books from other publishers grouped on the same orders were available, as scheduled, but the orders were stuck waiting for the NS items. While I was at it I canceled every remaining NS title I had on order. From now on I'll no longer advance order NS titles. I'll wait until they're out the door and actually available and then consider ordering..

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |