HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Sale: 50% off all in-stock and forthc...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Night Shade Books » Sale: 50% off all in-stock and forthcoming Night Shade titles (2008 Edition) « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ross_e_lockhart
Username: Ross_e_lockhart

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 06:23 am:   

It's sale time again at Night Shade Books. We've got a few big titles coming in, and we need to clear space in a big way! So until midnight on Sunday, May 25th, we're offering 50% off all in-stock and forthcoming Night Shade books. Use the coupon code 50NSB2008, and there is a four book minimum order.

Not only do we have some great books, including Harry Turtledove's After the Downfall, Tim Lebbon's Bar None, Jay Lake's Madness of Flowers, Graham Joyce's How to Make Friends with Demons, and Glen Cook's An Empire Unacquainted with Defeat, coming in the next few months, but we've also added, for the first time, the infamous Night Shade Books Posse T-Shirts. These are printed on American Apparel sweat shop-free high quality shirts and Made in the U.S.A., and will feature a clever quote from a well-known genre personality (T-Shirts will be shipping on approximately June 15, 2008). We've also uncovered a handful of slip cases, for our Lord Dunsany and Manly Wade Wellman collections, that we're making available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

And don't forget our forthcoming anthologies: The Living Dead, Fast Ships, Black Sails, and Eclipse 2.

Blue_tyson
Username: Blue_tyson

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 07:50 am:   

When having a look, I get this error when trying the coupon - is it only for US people?

'The coupon entered is invalid or has expired.'

I tried it with these, and selected the one postage option to Australia (which was a bit ugly :-) )

Qty SKU Item Name Price Subtotal Delete
-978-1-59780-036-5 Saunders, Charles - Imaro
Options: Trade Paperback $14.95 $14.95
-978-1-59780-066-2 Saunders, Charles - Imaro 2: The Quest for Cush
Options: Trade Paperback $14.95 $14.95
-978-1-59780-105-8 Adams, John Joseph - Wastelands
Options: Trade Paperback $15.95 $15.95
-978-1-59780-143-0 Adams, John Joseph - The Living Dead
Options: Trade Paperback $15.95 $15.95
Free SF Reader
Not Free SF Reader
Super Reader - Superhero Prose Fiction List and Ratings

Ross_e_lockhart
Username: Ross_e_lockhart

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 08:16 am:   

The coupon should work now. Worldwide, even.

International orders ship via USPS Global Priority, our shipping prices are based on those rates.

Jks
Username: Jks

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 09:24 am:   

Hi Guys,

Ghod I love a Night Shade sale! Four books? *Snort* As if!

And just a FYI for anyone whose's interested:

When I tried cutting and pasting the coupon I got that error message, but when I just typed it in, it worked fine.

Best,

Jonathan

Blue_tyson
Username: Blue_tyson

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 07:22 pm:   

Ok, thanks.

That could have been a character set problem then.
Free SF Reader
Not Free SF Reader
Super Reader - Superhero Prose Fiction List and Ratings

Whispersmith
Username: Whispersmith

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 09:39 am:   

...and once again Night Shade scr*ws the dealers by offering deeper discounts than we get when we order.

Since these sales seem to happen with some regularity, I think I'll just wait for them to order bulk copies of all Night Shade titles.

Way to de-incentivize the dealer experience (again)...

Jlassen
Username: Jlassen

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:56 pm:   

Dear Whispersmith,

Feel free to wait for sales, and buy your stock then. I look forward to seeing you order large quantities of our books, and there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

I have plenty of dealers who do just that. On the other hand, If you chose to pay in advance on our trade editions, we have a 5% prepay discount, which when added to your standard 40% discount is pretty fucking close to the 50%.

And if you are such a big-dick dealer who is selling so many books, feel free to contact me for an additional case-quantity discount of 5%, which, when combined with pre-pay, does give you a 50% discount.

So anytime you want to actually sack up and put your money where your mouth is, go ahead. Otherwise, please fell free to continue to whine and play the victim. Night Shade's discounts and sales are fare less frequent then other indy press'. We've bent over backwards to help dealers who actively promote and sell our books, and who actually order large quantities of our books. If you don't find yourself amongst this group, it is hardly our fault.

Frankly, I'd be more inclined to treat this complaint more seriously, if your last one hadn't been so completely asinine. You've used up your whiney bitch quota, and will now be cheerfully ignored.

Whispersmith

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   

Jeremy-

Exactly the kind of response (and service) I've come to expect from you and Night Shade. Not only have you removed the profit motive from my dealings with you, but now you have removed any personal "connection" I have felt towards your house in years past. I was there for you guys from the beginning...

I'll take you up on your tacit suggestion of taking my "big dick" business dealings elsewhere.
I may not be the biggest SF dealer in the field, but I am one of the more established. And vocal.

Thanks for closing my case for me. You may not miss my orders now, but you will eventually...

Whispersmith

Jlassen

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 07:37 pm:   

I might have been willing to cut you some slack, or be more civil with you, but you are the one who chose to be rude in public, anonymously.

Night Shade's sales are nothing new, and we have actually been having fewer of them in the last 18 months then in the previous couple years.

I fucking bent over backwards to be civil to with you in your last post --- to find common ground and to reach out to you and let you know that I did understand where you were coming from. And my thanks was more public bile from you. So yeah. You got exactly the kind of response you "expected" -- the one you were fishing for.

Anyway, who the fuck are you? William Smith? What is your store called? You've given me no reason to take you seriously at all.

You are the one who wanted a public pissing match, doing so anonymously, in order to provoke a reaction. I suspect you have been secretly waiting for the moment where you could publicly denounce Night Shade, and tell everybody what evil bastards we are.

Got to, man. I'll stake my professional reputation against yours any day of the week. I've have had tin pot dictators much bigger then you promise that they would bury The Shade, or destroy us, or whatever.

If you really have "been here from the start" and you really have supported us, I'm sorry to have it come to this. But it's clearly a destination that you wanted to go to.

Sincerely
Jeremy Lassen
Night Shade Books

Whispersmith

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:31 am:   

Jeremy -

This will be my last post here.

Despite your tin foil hat supposition that I'm out to "bury the Shade" or tell people what "evil bastards" you are: I'm just trying to effect a reconsideration of your business practices that myself, and others, feel is unfair to traditional book dealers.

The fact that you continue to fly off the handle and curse at me over this matter suggests that I've struck a nerve.

It's not as much about the price that dealers pay as it is the fact that Night Shade purposefully devalues dealer investments by undercutting us at the source.

When you guys had your first big "sale", it was supposedly due to financial issues. I stepped in and made a sizable purchase a.) because I could sell the books for a profit and b.) because I wanted to keep you guys in the business of releasing good books.

Since then (with your hardcover reprints, regular direct "sales", "vapor paper" announcements that tie up my money, and declining release quality), it's just no longer worth it for some of us to buy Night Shade books directly from the publisher.

You've said that you want Night Shade books to be read, not collected. Your focus is obviously on larger distribution channels. Just like the American public: screw the little guys, give me the chain stores.

You guys have certainly changed. Your "piss off because you're vocal" attitude towards me illustrates this perfectly. It SHOULDN'T matter who I am - I represent a concerned segment of your customers that you have effectively told to "fuck off and shut up - you'll take what we want you to take."

I'm sure there will be Night Shade releases here and there that I'll pick up in the future... But I WILL NOT deal directly with you henceforth, and I will not speculatively invest in your products.

All of the concerns I've raised are valid. Your studied response to them just validates what myself, and others, have believed for over a year now: the best days of Night Shade are behind it.

See you at the Cons,

Whispersmith

P.S. I sold 113 Night Shade titles last year, 70 of those at or below cover price.

Jlassen

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:07 am:   

Oddly enough you still haven't said who you are. Who you are matters a great deal. Should I take you seriously? Should I believe the numbers you quote?

Should I care?

You haven't hit a nerve... you continue to make yourself look foolish. "screw the little guy"... "give me the chains." Yeah. Thats me exactly. LOL. Seriously man. Our best days are behind us? Tell that to the first time novelists who's career's I've established, or the Mid-list authors who's careers I've resurrected.

You have no sense of scale, nor any interest in what Night Shade is actually trying to do. And your sense of self importance is staggering....

Lets see. If you bought 113 (probably less... thats just how many you sold, and you've probably been sitting on them for years) books from me last year, lets say they were all $50 limits at 30% discount... That means, at best, if you paid regular discount, and no sale, you put $4,000 into night shade hands last year... and over $650 of that went to royalties.

So. Lets see. Best Case Scenario... You and five other dealers of your same size... Your annual sales have failed to cover my monthly overhead.

Your annual sales, best case scenerio, wouldn't even cover a single Night Shade print bill.

Over the last 10 years, I've watched dealer orders shrink, and the pool of viable dealers shrink. There used to be 30+ independent accounts that I could count on to buy our books, and re-order, and generate significant sales.

Now, there are about five indy accounts of any size. And those 25 accounts that are gone? They didn't go away because I started to run sales. They went away because they either couldn't sell books, or they just didn't want to keep pushing the stone up the hill anymore. You know why we ran out of money about 5 or six years ago? Because our business was set up to cater to dealers like you. And you all went out of business, or couldn't pay us on time, or just couldn't compete with other retailers, or just plain failed to sell books in any significant quantity.

Not my fault. I had to stay in business somehow, and I found a way. I no longer cater to people who don't seem to have a significant customer base, and who can't seem to sell books to people who want to read them.

Hell man, I personally sell more night shade titles out of Borderlands (you know, the small, independently owned bookstore that I fucking work at? yeah... screw the little guy -- right) in six months, just working 4 days a month. What the fuck do you do with your time that you can only sell 113 Night Shade titles in a year? Oh right. Complain that *I* am the reason you can't sell books.

So once again... if you want to back peddle and say how the tone of this conversation is my fault...go ahead but perhaps re-read your first post...

Your first post, and your last post above both demonstrate quite clearly that you have been unhappy with Night Shade and the direction we have been going for a long time. We aren't the publisher you want us to be. No big deal... except it seems to be for you, because you've clearly been wanting to publicly tell me off for a while. Well, I'm happy to have helped you get it off your chest. Do you feel better now? I mean really? What was the point of your post in the first place? There is nothing new under the sun here. We publish trade books that we try and keep in print, and every 6-10 months, we run a sale.

As for not speculating on our books... no problem. And as for not getting books from us directly... again, no problem -- I get your money no matter who you get our books from. :-)

In all seriousness. I'm sorry you feel betrayed or hurt or dumped on. But I can't stay in business selling books just to you and a half dozen others like you. I didn't tell you to piss off because your vocal.. I unloaded on you because you were being silly and self righteous and self centered, and you clearly were desperate for attention. You wanted to play the victim ("Night Shade SCREWS the dealers AGAIN!"). This time I give this to you in spades, which was pretty nice of me, I think.

Because last time I responded to your post/cry for attention with level handed empathy, and that didn't seem to do the trick: you felt the need to post again with the same old victim hood bs.

When you see me at a con next time, Maybe I'll have a little more empathy for you, and maybe you won't be desperate to play the victim. If so, I'll buy you a drink, and we can reminiscence about "the good old days..."

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register

| Moderators | Administrators |